When does someone become Anointed with Holy Spirit?

by The Searcher 30 Replies latest watchtower bible

• extractor
    extractor

Wait a minute... the thief was NOT promised paradise earth....

2 Corinthians 12:2-4 (NIV)I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven. Whether it was in the body or out of the body I do not know—God knows. 3 And I know that this man—whether in the body or apart from the body I do not know, but God knows— 4 was caught up to paradise and heard inexpressible things, things that no one is permitted to tell.

The thief went to heaven, which is paradise, "today". Luke 23:43

You get the Holy Spirit the moment you ask Jesus to take control of your life. Baptism is just an external representation of this event.

• extractor
    extractor

Wait a minute... the thief was NOT promised paradise earth....

2 Corinthians 12:2-4 (NIV)I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven. Whether it was in the body or out of the body I do not know—God knows. 3 And I know that this man—whether in the body or apart from the body I do not know, but God knows— 4 was caught up to paradise and heard inexpressible things, things that no one is permitted to tell.

The thief went to heaven, which is paradise, "today". Luke 23:43

You get the Holy Spirit the moment you ask Jesus to take control of your life. Baptism is just an external representation of this event.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

I think the question is not When but How does someone become Annointed by Holy Spirit? How does an agent from the non-physical universe reach into the physical world and interact with the human brain? How does it "touch"us?

• Nambo
    Nambo

Previously, in other posts, I had related how I felt the Holy Spirit inside me, like a drug or God tickling me from the inside, this was prior to Baptism.

About an hour after my JW baptism, I felt that same feeling, but on the outside of me, just as if it had been poured over my head and running down my body, like I say, on the outside, never felt such a feeling since.

Now, at the time, I figuered this was just a feeling you got when you where baptised, I never considered I could be one of the mystical "Annointed", I couldnt relate to the JW vagueness of how you knew you where annointed.

Its only since leaving the JW doctrines that I have figuered out, what is annointing?, its when oil, or in this case, Holy Spirit is poured out over your head, which is exactly what I felt.

I no longer belive in 144, 000 only getting annointed, I belive that 144,000 are literal Hebrews of the 12 tribes to fullfill the promise to Abraham, and that the Great Crowd has the same destiny but are made of an unspecified number of Gentiles, and that the little sheep and the other flock join together to be the same flock with the same hope and same Baptism.

• heathen
    heathen

The WT NT says third heaven not paradise . Nobody knows who he's talking about , some say stephen, who would have the holy spirit since he was actively preaching the gospel and was martyred . The israelites believed in the paradise earth under messianic rule , I don't see a scripture where jesus offered a co ruler spot to anyone other than the apostles prior to his death , once he is resurrected and ascends to heaven is when he sends the holy spirit at pentecost to anoint all those gathered in his name . The holy spirit is a gift that is to be used wisely in connection with the preaching work not some freak show novelty . IMO

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

Just about the time the crazy train docs into station?

Either that or whenever you decide to be.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Ephesians 1:13-14

New International Version (NIV)

13 And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory.

• Andrew Sh
    Andrew Sh

Speaking as a member of Babylon the Great, the great harlot, as a Trinitarian Christian, and evangelical:-

All quotes from King James Version.

There is:-

1 - the beginnings of the workings of the Holy Spirit in the soul before conversion. No one can believe, or be drawn to God by their own sinful nature, the Spirit draws us to God, increases our understanding of the ways of God, draws us to Christ. The wind blows whereever it wills (John 3:8).

2 - the receiving the gift of the Holy Spirit at the moment of conversion. This is the baptism of the Holy Spirit. If you don't have the Spirit of God, also called the Spirit of Christ, which is the Holy Spirit, then you do not belong to Christ, and you are not saved. Romans 8:9 - "But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his." And the whole thrust of Romans chapter 8 is that if you do not have the Spirit of God then you are still in the flesh and cannot please God. Romans 8:8 "So they that in the flesh cannot please God". According to Romans chapter 8, you are either in the flesh or in the Spirit, there is no other alternative option, no middle option, no halfway house, no 'being fit for Paradise Earth but unfit for Heaven'. If you have the Spirit you are born again, a child of God, Romans 8:14, "For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are the sons of God."

3 - Finally there is the filling of the Holy Spirit, which can happen several times in a believer's experience and is evidenced by more extraordinary zeal/love for God (or other noticeable Spiritual effects) than at other times. The more we trust Christ and strive to obey, the more evidence we are being filled with the Spirit. We are commanded to be filled with the Spirit, so this is not a work that happens upon us, so much as something we attempt by obedience, but is God's prerogative too (Ephesians 5:18) "And be not drunk with wine wherein is excess; but be ye filled with the Spirit... " etc.. where it is clear that being filled with the Spirit is something that we are to receive by our obedience. So this filling of the Holy Spirit ebbs and flows as we maintain our love/zeal/faith for the Lord. It is possible for a believer to grieve the Holy Spirit by which ye were sealed (Ephesians 4:30) "And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption". The believer was sealed when he/she believed the gospel and was born again and received the gift of the Holy Spirit. Clearly, a true believer cannot be both filled with the Spirit and grieving the Holy Spirit, so the filling of the Holy Spirit is a state that is in accord with our efforts to obey/love/worship/serve the Lord. But it is not automatic, the filling of the Spirit is also the prerogative of the Holy Spirit.

Just to add a little more to 2 above: You receive the Holy Spirit the moment you truly believe on Christ for salvation, as mentioned in Galatians 3:2:

"This only would I learn of you: received ye the Spirit by the works of the law or by the hearing of faith?" From the whole letter of Galatians it is clear that the Apostle is saying we receive the Spirit the moment we believe the Gospel. The heart of the Gospel is described as a historical message in 1 Corinthians 15:3,4, though those verses do not tell us who Christ actually: is he God and man, two natures in one person, or something/someone else? Nor do they tell us what we are saved from: eternal punishment or not?

The moment you believe the Gospel truly, and trust Christ for salvation then you receive the Spirit and are born again. Being born again is the same as being born of the Spirit or receiving the Spirit. John 3:6 "That which is born of spirit is spirit." Then that great statement of the Gospel is given in John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave is only begotten Son that whosoever believes on him shall not perish but receive everlasting life." Believe that verse truly in your heart, no ifs and no buts, and ask God for forgivenesss for ever imagining you could earn such a wonderful gift as a relationship with God, or do any marvellous good work to get the forgiveness of sins, and repent of such follies, and turn from your old way of life and be willing to give up all and turn to God, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit and will be born again: that is the thrust of John chapter 3.

Best wishes

• Nambo
    Nambo

Great post Andrew, (though Iam trying to get my head around the notion of being a born again at the same time as being a J Dub).

Only fault being, Babylon the Great isnt Christendom, its Judaism, it isnt Rome its Jerusalem. Compare Matthew 23 with Revelation 18 v 24

• Andrew Sh
    Andrew Sh

Thanks Nambo, Never been a JW, so tended to assume I understood what Babylon the Great was from a bit of reading here and there!

Being born again and being a J Dub... Well, the wind blows whereever it wills, and so does the Spirit. But the Spirit leads to the right understanding of the Word, the Spirit works with the word of God, and certainly the Spirit points to Christ as Saviour and Lord, not to anything else as Saviour and Lord.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit