JW Careers - Meter Reading??

by rrb2016 20 Replies latest jw friends

• rrb2016
    rrb2016

I remember in the 70's and 80's the big JW career was pin striping...in addition to the regular careers like janitorial and window washing. Now I hear the big career is meter reading in the Pacific Northwest. What are some of the other JW careers that are hot in the 2012 and the "end is closer than ever?"

• Bubblegum Apotheosis
    Bubblegum Apotheosis

Janitor jobs are highly competitive, illegal immigrants are fighting for these jobs, not uncommon to see illegals working for $4 an hour.

Caretaking, paid by the State to take care of disabled membes of society.

Window washing is popular, we have lots of them in south county, at least twenty in the South Area complex.

Carpet Cleaning, Dog washing, Con Artist ripping off their mentor tradesman, and remaing an elder (drive your mentor in BK and go straight to Overseer!"

Delivering newspapers and free publications to stores, $7 an hour if your lucky!

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

RRB - Meter readers in the Northwest? That's a dead end career like pin-striping.

I live in the Pacific NW. The power companies are just now completing their conversion over to wireless meter reading. This has been progressing in California too. We still see gas meter readers and the city still uses walking meter readers (they use a wand that reads the meter and then sends the results back to the HQ wirelessly).

It's funny how the rank and file seem to fall into the janitorial and construction type jobs. I've noticed that a high percentage of COBOEs tend to have white collar jobs or own their own businesses. It's also not surprising to me that most COBOEs also have some college training or hold a professional degree.

So while the Watchtower continues to discourage the R&F (especially sisters and young people) from getting university level educations, the WT leaders continue to promote those who have already received a professional level education into responsible positions. After all, COBOEs, COs, DOs, etc. are basically corporate managers. They need to know how to maintain accounts and inventories. They have to be able to speak well before crowds. They have to have some level of debating skills. More importantly, they have to have achieved a level of self-confidence that will give them an aura of authority and intelligence so that can lord it over the flock.

There are always jobs available at 7-11 stores, 24-hour gas stations, and all-night donut shops. Costco and Trader Joe's offer decent jobs in this area. Starbucks always has openings for baristas. But there aren't a lot of meter reader jobs available. I know for a fact that a lot of JW women work as hair dressers and manicurists. I even know of one JW lady in this area that does electrolysis and Brazilian bikini waxes. Oh, yes - don't forget pet groomers.

A lot of folks (both men and women - but not JWs, obviously) in the Pacific Northwest between the ages of 20 and 40 also belong to the National Guard. The reasons for this are too numerous to go into, but potentially putting your life and limbs on the line has valuable benefits not available to non-military folk - like Jehovah's Witnesses. You see a lot of people wearing full military cammies off-base around here.

JV

• Bubblegum Apotheosis
    Bubblegum Apotheosis

Meter reading is a dead end job, agree with Juan, PGE plans on changing all their meters in California, you can view your bill in instantly up-two-date, make sure no pot head is stealing your power!

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

a lot of dubs by me at least are big on grifting their own brethren with countless sales pitches.*

Silpada jewelry (sp?)

tupperware

Tastefully simple

you name it.

* I'm not knocking anyone who may be doing this kind of sales work, but it's the WAY that JWs go about it. constantly selling to their fellow congregants, many of whom are KNOWN to be on fixed incomes. Add to that soliciting at meetings, assemblies, etc. and the way they go about it is a bit shady, methinks.

• blondie
    blondie

meter reading is going to start being automated this year...........kind of a dead end job.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Wow does this bring back memories. When at school in the 1980's I did pin striping for work experience with Geoff Jackson's brother in law. I didn't know it was a global JW career. In the 1990's they all moved on to cleaning. Now meter reading???

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Forgive my ignorance, but what is 'pinstriping'?

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

What happens when we get "smart meters"? Those are the ones that read themselves and transmit the readings directly to the utility, eliminating expensive meter readers (and those fat-finger errors that result in unusually big or tiny electricity bills followed by discrepancies the other way the next reading). That is going to result in unemployed witlesses, that will be encouraged to pious-sneer in lieu of learning a trade for barter, seeking another job, or starting a business.

• undercover
    undercover

Forgive my ignorance, but what is 'pinstriping'?

detail striping on cars and trucks. Usually a tape that is applied to give accent to the contours of the car's shape. The 'brothers' that I knew that did it also installed other accessories, like rear deck spoilers, front air dams, after market wheel covers... you know... that shit you can buy at Walmart and do yourself, if you really wanted to junk your ride up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit