The Path to FREEDOM

by SweetBabyCheezits 29 Replies latest jw friends

• unshackled
    unshackled

Carl Sagan > Obi-Wan Kenobi

• moshe
    moshe

Who needs reading and critical thinking, when the $$ controlled-media will provide you with all you need to know.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    LV101: Were you home schooled?

Unfortunately, yes... from grades 10-12. Terrible decision. I didn't learn a damn thing and ended up pioneering - what a waste of youth. (Not saying I was unhappy back then, I just wish I'd held my current view of education.) I've been playing catch-up since I woke up and have since developed a love for science, even though I'm still pretty ignorant of most of it. It's a great ride.

Here's one concept that draws me to science:

"When scientists don’t know something — like why the universe came into being or how the first self-replicating molecules formed — they admit it. Pretending to know things one doesn’t know is a profound liability in science. And yet it is the life-blood of faith-based religion. One of the monumental ironies of religious discourse can be found in the frequency with which people of faith praise themselves for their humility, while claiming to know facts about cosmology, chemistry and biology that no scientist knows. When considering questions about the nature of the cosmos and our place within it, atheists tend to draw their opinions from science. This isn’t arrogance; it is intellectual honesty." - Sam Harris

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

For the mutual love of Carl! Thanks for my new background, Shack.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Thanks for the links!

LV101, it sounds like your computer is deomonized. you should do somethng about that.

NC

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

F Shack's background blows. For true enlightenment, seek yon Falcon

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Screw you, Falcon! Today is Star Wars Day and Shack delivered a multiverse of awesome with that combo.

Besides, everybody knows Sagan was a boob guy.

• Stealth
    Stealth

How true, it is amazing that the WT and other religions still consider the account of adam and eve as literal with all the physical evidence to the contrary. Keeping people ignorant with information control.

Glad you are still around SBC, I only have time for about one hour a week on this site, always click on your posts. good post!

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

SBC - What are your thoughts on Christopher Hitchins? He is my Carl Sagan equivalent. The way he expressed things just made so much sense, and helped me realize that worrying about God is not useful whatsoever.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    Stealth: How true, it is amazing that the WT and other religions still consider the account of adam and eve as literal with all the physical evidence to the contrary. Keeping people ignorant with information control.

Absolutely. Ignorance = chains.

And thank you for the kind words, Stealth. I've got nothing original to offer but I can sure plagiarize those who do.

TT2C: what are your thoughts on Christopher Hitchins? He is my Carl Sagan equivalent. The way he expressed things just made so much sense, and helped me realize that worrying about God is not useful whatsoever.

Are you kidding?? Loved how, in God is Not Great, he kicked religion squarely in the teeth and offered no apology. The quintessential Hitchslap. I've got a couple of his other books but have yet to read them. Yeah, Hitchens is missed. The guy was a helluva wordsmith and quick on the draw in debates.

Speaking of rational-thinking public advisors, lately I've been gettin' my science on with Neil deGrasse Tyson.... thanks to PBS, mostly. You guys ever watch/read any of his stuff? Not confrontational when it comes to religion but he's a pretty damn entertaining speaker and has, IMO, done a fine job of taking up the Sagan torch to educate us laymen.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit