The Path to FREEDOM

by SweetBabyCheezits 29 Replies latest jw friends

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

I realize I peddle Carl Sagan like Christians peddle Jesus but I think every one of us who has survived the Watchtower, regardless of our current beliefs, should be able to appreciate this.

In The Path to Freedom (chapter from one of his books), Sagan was discussing Frederick (Bailey) Douglass's life in the early 19th century and his quest for literal freedom. See if anything here sounds familiar:

There was a most revealing rule: slaves were to remain illiterate. In the antebellum South, whites who taught a slave to read were severely punished.

'To make a contented slave,' Bailey later wrote, 'it is necessary to make a thoughtless one. It is necessary to darken his moral and mental vision, and, as far as possible, to annihilate the power of reason.' This is why the slaveholders must control what slaves hear and see and think. This is why reading and critical thinking are dangerous, indeed subversive, in an unjust society.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Peddle away...my brain needs the excercise...

And that is the honest to goodness truth of the matter...ignorance is not bliss it is imprisonment.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

The WT uses Information Control to keep their members ignorant of so many facts. The result is seven million 'illiterate' slaves, held captive by ignorance, fear and guilt. I was a slave to them for 23 years. One of the happiest days of my life was when I released the bonds and took control of my future.

http://freedomofmind.com/Info/BITE/bitemodel.php#information

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

Peace be to the dust of Carl Sagan that began "made of stars" and has ended up in your bowl of Cheerios. Amenchoo!

• thecrushed
    thecrushed

Ordered Carl Sagan's Billions and Billions. I can't wait to embark on a journey of thoughts as big as the universe.

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

We sure do need more people like Carl Sagan.

• clarity
    clarity

SBC - I loved Carl Sagan, could listen to him for hours!

So true, keep the slaves ignorant!!!!! wow that's so evil and so watchtower organization like!

>

Individuals can be that way also, I knew a man who married a much younger unappreciated woman...an Asian.

A wonderful, hard working lady ...... and I told him how amazing she was.

He said sshhhhhh don't ever let her hear you say that, I don't want her to get any big ideas!!!.

I told her everything!

More Carl Sagan & the WT ......

http://corior.blogspot.com/2006/02/carl-sagans-remarks-about-jehovahs.html

c

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Good share!

Thanks Cheezy.

• ZeusRocks
    ZeusRocks

Great post SBC.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Aye! A brew in memory of Carl!

The recent news about the Society revoking privileges of those who attend a 4 year college really stands out to me here. Pure information control to keep the slaves blind.

The rest of the chapter is just as eye-opening. If any are interested, you can find the entire book in PDF for free here:

http://www.thevenusproject.com/downloads/ebooks/Carl%20Sagan%20-%20The%20Demon%20Haunted%20World.pdf

The above quote comes from Chapter 21, which gives a short but damn-fascinating look at Frederick Douglass's fight for freedom.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit