Book - Richard Dawkins

by LV101 17 Replies latest jw friends

• LV101
    LV101

that's funny, Scully.

What's the news about Stephen Hawking? Do JW's think he's xtian? I get the impression w/tower must talk favorably about him.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Sounds like you've got a collection coming but if you're up for more science-based writing, another great book is Carl Sagan's The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark.

I realize that's my second time to peddle it.... today .... but it's an awesome book and the fact that it's available as a PDF online makes it even better. But instead of focusing on science subjects, Sagan deals more with the importance of science as a way of thinking to avoid being bamboozled.

Hell, I think I'll peddle it some more with its own thread....

• LV101
    LV101

Thank you so much for referral. I will order that one tonite. Now I just need to order some time for all the reading.

I think you should definitely start a book thread. Sounds like Sagan's book should be required reading if it's bamboozle protection. If only we could go back in time --- Knowledge is everything/DUH!

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Magic of reality is the right book. The greatest show on earth is great if you want a good book explaining evolution with the evidence. The god delusion is a fantastic book that would stump any worshipper. The blind watchmaker is a great book of logic and reasoning on the issue of design v creation.

Another fantastic writer is Christopher Hitchens, his book 'God in not great' is grand and his debates online will live on for decades. Watch them if you can. X

We are so lucky such men have given their lives to mediating this knowledge to the public. I love it when I hear people are seeking their work, these books changed my life.

Snare x

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

I am reading The Blind Watchmaker at the moment and The God Delusion was the first atheist book I had ever read but The Magic of Reality is much simpler to understand and beautifully illustrated. Money well spent.

• LV101
    LV101

Thanks to all. Stephen Hitchens --- Terry recommended his book(s). I wanted to start w/something basic and have viewed something recently (here) of Hitchens and it was excellent. Appreciate your recommendations/insight.

• cantleave
    cantleave

It is brilliant book for children and adults. I suggest Perry reads it.

• LV101
    LV101

cantleave --- someone new just posted here few days ago and they'd already read God Delusion (and maybe something else re/evolution) and still believe in God. I'm thinking this is unusual.

Amelia --- thanks for your imput. I think a thread should be started discussing The Magic Book or one of the other basics and throw in your fav paragraphs, chapters, whatever, that really are educational/enlightening. You guys are so educated and versed on this topic and so many of us aren't. Just have basic evolution 101. If you're bored/tired of dealing with this --- reference the topics/posts and how to find them.

I've been ordering all these books and art supplies/books and I don't have time for anything --- crazy, I know, but I've got to read this book.

Thanks for your opinion re/book. Appreciate!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit