Book - Richard Dawkins

by LV101 17 Replies latest jw friends

• LV101
    LV101

Anyone out there --- please be so kind to recommend the Dawkins' children book re evolution. I've ordered Magic of Reality but have a feeling it's the wrong book. Didn't see a children's book listed at Amazon.

Thanks.

• Rob Crompton
    Rob Crompton

Dawkins's Magic of Reality is a super book! Give it your kids with confidence - and do read it yourself. This guy is a splendid writer and scientist.

For all those of you who think you didn't really grasp what scientific enquiry was all about whilst you were at school, this is the book to get.

Readership age range? 9 to 90, I'd say.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder
    Post 44 of 44
    Since 1/4/2012

Dawkins's Magic of Reality is a super book! Give it your kids with confidence - and do read it yourself. This guy is a splendid writer and scientist.

For all those of you who think you didn't really grasp what scientific enquiry was all about whilst you were at school, this is the book to get.

Readership age range? 9 to 90, I'd say.

TOTALLY AGREE + 100

• LV101
    LV101

Thanks --- but someone posted the name of a specific (new, maybe?) children's book. It may have been called "The Greatest Show on Earth" or "The Blind Watchmaker"? I'll check again on Amazon.

Appreciate your comments.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

The Greatest Show on Earth is not a kids book, per se. As far as Dawkins books go, The Magic of Reality is the only one I'm aware of for a younger demographic. Like others have said, it's great. Can't recommend it enough. Rob mentioned a starting age of 9 - that sounds right to me, too.

If you have an iPad, get the app version! It's $14 but you get the full text and illustrations from the printed book, PLUS extra audio, video, and interactive content that younger kids will like... and it helps me them grasp the points.

• tec
    tec

I'm pretty sure it's the Magic of Reality, as well. I looked up his biography, and this is the only kid's book that he has listed. I think it must be this one.

Peace,

tammy

• LV101
    LV101

ahhh, I've ordered the right one. Good idea, SweetBaby/thanks. Will order iPad app, too. Thought it would be a good book for myself (long time since science class).

Thanks.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Nice! You're gonna love it!

• LV101
    LV101

thanks, Tammy. Looks like he has several and also ordered The God Delusion but will also check out Greatest Show. Seems these were the most recommended on jw.net.

• Scully
    Scully

I bought the book, but it wasn't quite what I was expecting to see from Dawkins. I flipped through it quickly and put it away. I'll have to sit down and read it this summer. I have some Evangelical Christian in-laws coming to visit and don't want them to overstay.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit