Being publicly religious is a lot like being a NUDIST

by Terry 50 Replies latest jw experiences

• designs
    designs

The Lord just likes helping guys hit homers and scoring TDs more than helping starving kids.

• steve2
    steve2

I told a colleague of mine that I would believe in her "god" if he did for me what he consistently does for her: Lead her to a vacant parking lot in the busy city.

Results so far:

Week 1: I got car park within 1 minute. My faith is looking good - I'm ready to bend my knees;

Week 2: I searched 5 minutes before a park was available. My new-born faith has been seriously tested;

Week 3: Instant access to car park. Thank you Lord - I'm out of my car and on my knees;

Week 4: No f*kg car park for close to 15 minutes and then I had to severely eyeball another motorist out of the way. Faith looking pretty grim.

Week 5: I left the car at home and bused into the city. Conclusion: Faith in god is too mercurial to be of any use to me. Who should I thank for that revelation?

• tec
    tec

Roughly translated, it means: because you are praying publicly before meals it reflects badly on the rest of us who aren't.

How so? Giving thanks in public says nothing at all about anyone else, unless it is what they feel about themselves. Christ gave thanks in public. So from that perspective there is nothing wrong with it. Again, if someone is doing it to get attention, then don't give them attention. Simple.

Live and let live.

Terry -- I am so happy to be Canadian, and this is one of the reasons. We are more secular. Point, end point.

I am as well. But I work in a restaurant, and people pray over their food often enough. It hurts no one. Unless someone wants to be irritated by it; and does not want to grant them the freedom to do so.

Peace,

tammy

• Quentin
    Quentin

Putting on a public display of ones piety is sanctimonious ( hypocritically pious or devout ), it does not draw attention to God, it draws attention only to the person doing the public display, being embracing for those present. Jesus understood and said so.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Putting on a public display of ones piety is sanctimonious ( hypocritically pious or devout ), it does not draw attention to God, it draws attention only to the person doing the public display, being embracing for those present. Jesus understood and said so.

This is also true of a lot of religions besides fundamentalist christians. What else would you call going around with ashes on your forehead on ash wednesday, or wearing a burka all your life? Or having a dot painted between your eyes? Terry is right - these are expressions of religious exhibitionism. I think they actually cheapen the religion they are supposed to be promoting.

• ziddina
    ziddina

I've also noticed that outward displays of faith are more prominent when the internal climate tends to be hypocritical...

• Glander
    Glander
    This is also true of a lot of religions besides fundamentalist christians. What else would you call going around with ashes on your forehead on ash wednesday, or wearing a burka all your life? Or having a dot painted between your eyes? Terry is right - these are expressions of religious exhibitionism. I think they actually cheapen the religion they are supposed to be promoting. Good point Woods. I would only add, gangsters beating the shit out of a victim with a gold crucifix around their neck...
  • Phizzy
    Phizzy

"Religion is like a penis, it's fine to have one, just don't wave it around in public, and do not shove it down my children's throat"

I don't know who first said that, but it is apropos.

• Terry
    Terry

TEC says:

Giving thanks in public says nothing at all about anyone else, unless it is what they feel about themselves. Christ gave thanks in public. So from that perspective there is nothing wrong with it.

Jesus says:

Matthew 6:6

New International Version (NIV)

6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Our treatment of other PEOPLE and not our ritual religious behavior is the actual point of all this.

How do "others" know we are religious? Not by ritual exhibitions, but, by how we TREAT THEM PERSONALLY.

So called pious believers are all too quick to argue a doctrine or ritual and too slow to demonstrate love.

Public prayer, icon jewelry, special clothing are badges of hubris pretending toward humility.

My own grandmother once told me of herself: "I'm the most humble person you'll ever meet."

That sort of thing. You can't claim humility. You have to LIVE it.

• moshe
    moshe

Tweety, I told the JWs this is my earthly paradise and they never came back.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit