Being publicly religious is a lot like being a NUDIST

by Terry 50 Replies latest jw experiences

• Terry
    Terry

Nudists let it all hang out.

"Look at me!" is their motto.

Being the center of attention doesn't bother them as much as it encourages them to be all they can be...in full public view.

In fact, exhibitionism is at the core of this personality. The compulsion to display one's self is a mental disorder whether it is body parts or

mental misalignments of belief systems. Why is it a disorder? If you have to ask it is likely you aren't going to understand what bad behavior really is!

The real issue is BOUNDRIES.

People without any understanding of why boundries exist are the most likely to violate yours!

Think of the many ways ordinary social boundries are ignored by rude and unconcerned people every day.

Spitting, farting, belching, cursing, insults in the presence of others are NOT rare events, are they??

Exhibitionists are everywhere behaving (misbehaving) according to their own agenda publicly without regard for others.

We must include RELIGIOUS BEHAVIORS.

If a man's home is his castle (as the Magna Carta assured) why do idiots with Watchtowers pound on the castle door?

Why do smiling smug church ladies tell you to "have a blessed day"? Why do people bow their heads, hold hands and pray in public restaurants?

Why do bumper sticker christians "enlighten us" with their posted pontifications? (Christians aren't Perfect--Just Forgiven!)

Where does Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Religion cross the line into exhibitionism and bad manners in violating social boundries?

Is a football player kneeling at the goal line and thanking God irritating people heartwarming or exhibitionistic?

How could we ever get any religious zealot to agree not to behave exhibitionistically in front of our children?

I propose the Nudist test. It is easy to understand.

If you wouldn't expose your crotch in a certain public place then don't expose your religiosity the same way.

Is that too simple-minded?

Your thoughts?

• tec
    tec

Some of your post is spot on. Some people do these things to say, look at me. But do you know how to seperate those people from the people who are simply trying to live in humility? People holding hands and praying over a meal hurts who? It can't even annoy someone else unless the prayer is at the top of your lungs so the whole restaurant has to hear it. I work in a restaurant. People give thanks before a meal all the time. They are also quiet about it; simply sincerely giving thanks. Maybe if someone does not like to see that, they should just not look.

People of all sorts write clever things on bumper stickers and stick em on their bumpers. Those silver testicles that people hang off the back of their trucks irritate me... so I just don't look at them.

Is a football player kneeling at the goal line and thanking God irritating people heartwarming or exhibitionistic?

Who cares, imo? He's giving thanks for something. Usually giving thanks is a good thing. If you think he's doing it for attention, then don't give it attention. If he is a sincere person, and isn't doing it for attention, then he isn't going to mind that you don't give him attention for it.

Peace,

tammy

• designs
    designs

'Naked people have little or no influence on society' Mark Twain

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

You forget one important point, Terry. In the West, we are supposed to be tolerant of such public displays of faith-unless-

the person is wearing a turban

wearing a hijab or burkah

keeling on prayer mat

or proclaiming "Allahu-Akbar" ("God is Great")

Only then does it become offensive.

Just thought I would clear that up for you!

• james_woods
    james_woods

In the East, they are also supposed to be tolerant of public displays of religion.

However, they most often are not - unless, of course, the religion is Islam.

In many cases, it even has to be a particular sub-sect of Islam.

• james_woods
    james_woods

BTW - I, too, am a little put off by Tim Tebow and the end zone prayers. (other than that he does seem like a good guy)

But I think that Denver was absolutely crazy to trade him for that (IMHO) has-been Manning.

• Glander
    Glander

People who do this fall into the category of people who make me feel em-BARE ASSED for them. Nudity is a perfect analogy for this simpletons.

• steve2
    steve2

Nudists believe they should hide nothing; let it all hang out. Non-nudists, however, refrain from nudity out of consideration for insightless nudists.

For example, I choose not to parade naked in front of nudists because it would be unkind of me to put their gravity-challenged bodies to relative shame. Call me empathically attuned to nudists defensive need to bare all in the face of physical states that suggest clothing would not only nicely cover the problem but be of soothing relief to both more insightful nudists and non-nudists alike.

• Glander
    Glander

My wife and I stumbled upon a nudist section of beach once and it was rather...sad. Droop, overhang, flapjacks, etc. Didn't see any models for Men's Fitness or Playboy. Men especially need to cover their giblets or at least don't move around with them in the breeze. Mixing metaphors, I suppose we should have said "I see you have genitals, how interesting! Tell us more about how you came to the Lord..."

IMHO

• talesin
    talesin

I had a discussion with someone about this this morning, really! She feels it is okay, as he is 'personally' asking GOD for his blessing. I think it's incredibly frivolous, and even if I believed in a bronze-age bully who lords it over us, I still would think it is either arrogant or sacreligious.

tal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit