URGENT: Please Sign White House Petition to "Protect Americans from Dangerous Cults: Modify USC Title 26 § 501 Tax Exemption Requirements"

by ABibleStudent 130 Replies latest members politics

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

JeffT - Beats me. You'll have to ask somebody that believes that. In one of my articles on freeminds I specifically include some business and poltical organizations as potentially toxic social groups. The businesses don't enjoy tax exempt status as it is, and I'm even less inclinded to have the government targeting poltical organizations it doesn't like. As many of us keep asking; who decides?

Hi JeffT, Are you asking who decides or who would be able to file a complaint? Or, do you want more details about how a complaint would be filed (and who would qualify to make a complaint), how an investigation would be performed, how a judgment would be made, and how an appeal would be made?

Please read my response to Cofty that I wrote while you were writing your response to me. My response to Cofty may answer your question(s). If your intent is to prevent government from persecuting an organization for unrelated reasons then the intent of the White House petition, then I agree with you and also feel that an appeals process could be developed to prevent government from doing that.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Do you realize how the IRS, perhaps more than any other branch, must be straight arrow. Personal discretion of a bureacurat is forbidden. The Const'n bars such action. How do you know the designated bureacruat will not be a Witness? No. No legilslative doctrine, no administrative law. The First Amendment is enshrined in our Const'n.

Your comments concerning my pain, my writing, correcting me according to what your whims all show a character mired low in the ground.. Showing that you never read the actual cases, only the West summarier, stating that my professional judgment and all my years are marred b/c my family were Jehovah's Witnesses who suffered under Rutherford bounces off of me and lands squarely on you.

If you can attack and make personal attacks, devoid of all content, it dimishes from any spurious content you have contributed. Ignorance is not bliss. No one should expect you to know this material. The personal venom demeaned you and not me.

Why don't you publicly reveal why you are so inflexible. People on this forum showered me with good wishes and love concerning my pain admission. YOu cricitize my writing. The pot calling the kettle black.

Since the level of discourse is low, why don't you reveal why you are so stubborn about this. What deep personal trauma is fueling an irrational need to be a big man by signing a petition at White House. gov. VAT taxes are prominently discussed in almost every magazine. Federal study groups exist. It has been part of the presidential debate. I've read the debates for 40 years. Is your petition going to change the discourse? May I ask the winner of petitions at the WH receive? An Obama/Biden bumper sticker. My sticker cost me about 10 cents through the campaign website.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I was thinking what would happen if a petition targeting the Witnesses made any ground? I expect A Bible Student might receive a thank you letter from the White House. It will not say they agree. Assuming everyone is ignorant of the basic American concepts, it would turn into an executive branch vs. judicial branch showdown. Most presidents abide by Supreme Court rulings. Andrew Jackson did not. He blatantly ignored orders telling him to leave certain Indians protected by treaty alone. He noted he had a military and the Court had no army. He committed mass genocide. This is so central to American being that I can see the military refusing to back the administration. A coup d'etat could happen.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

ABibleStudent on 05/17/12 - Unfortunately there are only 9 days left for 24,913 Americans to sign the petition before it will expire on May 26, 2012. I'm starting to feel that it is better that less than 150 people sign the petition, so that people will not get confused with two similiar petitions being displayed on the White House website. One thing that I have learned from comments by other posters in this thread and two other similiar threads is that I should use a different label than "dangerous cult". How about Dangerous Orgs? Some people may feel that dangerous cult applies to only religious organizations, instead of to all organizations.

Also, I am revising the Facebook page for this petition to provide additional background information to people, such as video clips about Dangerous Orgs from the past.

I encourage everyone to read and comment on the following draft petition and to visit the Facebook page for the petition.

Hi Band on the Run, FYI encase you didn't read my post on 05/17/12 (see above quote) in this thread. I have decided to spend my time updating the Facebook page for the White House petition, instead of promoting the current White House petition in this thread and the other two threads. Since you have not asked any clarifying questions in your two recent posts on this thread (rhetorical questions don't count), I have already rebutted your legal arguments, and I do not want to cause you anymore emotional distress, this will probably be my last post on this thread.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

OMG, What a rebuttal! You certainly put me in my place. I am on the ground worshipping your knowledge and wisdom.

I also hope that someday you may feel very severe pain for about five minutes.

• james_woods
    james_woods

People, people.

Peace.

The petition is going nowhere, and it is not worth getting our shorts tied into a knot.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I recall a press favorite during the height of the Viet Nam War. The debate was so furious, tearing Americans apart. The conservative Republican Senator from Vermont, Carl Aiken, quipped that the U.S. should declare an immediate victory and get the hell out.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    I recall a press favorite during the height of the Viet Nam War. The debate was so furious, tearing Americans apart. The conservative Republican Senator from Vermont, Carl Aiken, quipped that the U.S. should declare an immediate victory and get the hell out.

Which is not too far from what was eventually done.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Historians and journalists still refer to the quip. They always emphasize that he represented Vermont. One of my favorite politcal lines.

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

I think that ABibleStudents heart is in the right place. Instead of doing nothing, he is trying to do something, and he deserves recognition for that. I can see how applying the petition to the Watchtower or other "Cults" could become a problem, as it could cause the Government to pick and choose who they deemed worthy (Or unworthy). Perhaps if Robert would have received some friendly constructive criticism, he could have realised that maybe the petition could be changed to include all religions, thereby solving some of the issues on this thread.

I am left wondering how this thread would have turned out had anyone (not implying anyone in particular, just hypothetically) originally said to Robert something along the lines of "Hey Robert, thank you for taking the time to do something proacative! I know that your intentions are good, but if I may offer some thoughts from personal experience, I could show you how your petition may be challenged by the courts because (Insert reason here). I would be more than happy to share my knowledge and experience with you so that your petition could have a better chance of not being viewed as being biased against certain religions and not others."

I'd be willing to bet that this thread would have turned out far more positive, and that there would be more respect among each other.

Just my humble opinion...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit