I need nothing else

by MsGrowingGirl20 32 Replies latest forum announcements

• MsGrowingGirl20
    MsGrowingGirl20

i really like the idea of reading different translations---i'll read it online...thank you ann and others

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

MsGG20, How are you with languages. If you are really interested in the Bible, you have to study its original languages Aramaic, Hebrew, and Greek. Latin would also come in handy. A Rabbi once remarked: "Reading the Hebrew Scriptures in translation is like kissing your bride through a veil." You are going to College, so perhaps a few courses in that direction might help. If not, second best thing are the commentaries. But then you have always to keep in mind that they are the opinions of men. Then you've got to test all things and hold on to what is good (cf. Eph. 5:10; 1 Thes. 5:21).

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Another scripture I like: "Does not the ear itself test out words, as the palate tastes food?" (Job 12:11). That's how I go through life, if it leaves a bad taste in the mouth, I avoid it in future.

• designs
    designs

On your way home from the market drop some food items off at your local Food Bank, that'll do some real good.

• MsGrowingGirl20
    MsGrowingGirl20

christian works...i'll defintely look into that mr.designs...thanks designs

• blond-moment
    blond-moment

I know for myself, I freaked out. OMG so much of what I thought I knew is wrong, or could be wrong, because this organization turns out to be false. What do I do now? Armageddon is like 2 minutes away and I am totally lost! What do I do???? (simplified version of my particular journey thru freaking out)

Randy Watters gave me the best advice when I mentioned it to him. "Pray, and ask God for a time out, to recover from post traumatic stress." I have to tell you, for me that was the best advice I got, other than research this organization.

It took the pressure off me, gave me permission to slow down, relax. It removed the panic I was having, and allowed me to look, listen, read, etc without forcing things one way or the other based on fear of "running out of time"

It is almost a year later, and to be honest, I am still in the "I don't know" stage. I will tell you however, I feel so much better about all of it, in this search mode, than I ever did when I "knew" the "truth". I think once you get in the "this is the truth" dogma, you close yourself off to what can be revealed. When men are revealing things to you, God can't, the men are in the way. Just ask for a time out.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

cyberjesus gave some wonderful advice. The only urgency surrounding this is whatever urgency you assign to it. Think about this: People have been joining and leaving this religion for more than one hundred years. It's not a race. 'Jesus' allowed you to become a JW. Had he wanted you to never join or leave sooner, he could have arranged that.

there is no hurry

• tec
    tec

I was in the same place as you as well. I just wanted to know what I was supposed to do and what I was supposed to believe. I paced the room, I ranted in my thoughts, I was stressed out, I was figuratively shaking my fist at God "Get down here and tell me what to do and I'll do it!"

But what I did eventually do was take a breath. Then another breath. I even had to set the bible aside for a spell (though I had read it, scouring it for months -NIV version; and you might feel the need to do this as well - I would suggest that you pay attention to Christ and His teachings). I sat in my car one day, the sun and a gentle wind coming through the window, and I just asked God to lead me to wherever He wanted me to be. However long that took. I gave myself to Him. Peace washed over me in that moment. I stopped worrying and I started trusting Him.

Christ is not hard to follow. It is all the stuff people tell you about him - what he wants; what he taught - that gets in the way and makes it hard to hear Him. You have to learn to let go of all of that. Show love; show mercy; forgive... He asks that we love and serve one another AS he loved and served us. (he still does)

Don't worry. (cast your worries onto Him, He has pretty broad shoulders) You'll get there. Just breathe. He isn't going anywhere.

Peace to you,

Tammy

• lilbluekitty
    lilbluekitty

I felt like you at first, and I think part of it for you is trying to erase the JW lies you've always believed, however one seems to still be bothering you: it seems like you feel Armageddon is about to pounce on you still. It's still coming, but if you love Jesus and follow him you have nothing to worry about. What I did is read the entire New Testament in both the NIV and ESV versions of the Bible. Put your New World Translation away, it's confusing and isn't accurate. Pick it up later when comparing translations, but not now. Put away the WT library, don't pick up those books right now either. Just read the Bible like I did. It's amazing how different it is reading a different translation. God doesn't seem so angry anymore LOL. Read and pray, read and pray. Pour your heart out to God and never worry He won't hear you. Pray for Holy Spirit. To follow Jesus truly you have to try to live as he did and try to do the things he asks of us. All He asks is that you try your best. Stay strong! Peace.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

If you met a boy who is funny, handsome, intelligent and sweet, (everything you've ever wanted in a boyfriend), how long would you have to know him to marry him? Wouldn't you want to take a lot of time for you both to get to know each other before you committed to marriage? You wouldn't expect to create and maintain a relationship in just a matter of a few weeks or months. How much more this is true with God and Jesus.

If you believe in a creator and savior, it will take a lot of soul searching and study to determine what is right for you. Certainly a loving God would afford you the time to do so.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit