CO Visits... Are elders honest about the TRUE state of the congregation?

by Alfred 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Alfred
    Alfred

This question is really for elders or ex-elders (or ministerial servants in the know)...

Did you find that some elders would tend to "white-wash" the TRUE state of the congregation when they had their sit-down with the CO every 6 months?

Did some elders feel pressure to hide certain things from a CO for fear of being "removed" from the BOE?

(Judging by the "fakeness" that some elders displayed during CO visits, I have to wonder whether they were really worried about being removed for not seeking out inactives or encouraging more participation during the WT Study, Book Study or FS...)

Looking forward to your comments...

• winstonchurchill
    winstonchurchill

Elders don't "tend" to white-wash" things; they make a conscious and deliberate effort.You will see them collecting missing service reports so there are no irregulars, and even putting down an hour or two for sister x who didn't turn in a report "but I know she did go out that month". Most Secretaries don't have cards and files updated, then rush every six months. Ditto for the accounting.

Most of them will flat out lie when pressured by CO. "How's shepherding?" Oh, great. "Are you visiting all of the publishers?" Well of course. "Any problem lately?" No, nothing we can think of.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I agree with Winston Churchhill above. Elders will produce the service records they think they need whether they are factual or fictional very often. Some won't do it, just letting the chips fall where they may, but that would be rare.

They do not really reveal their own shortcomings on shepherding or follow-ups on things discussed at the last C.O. visit.

I was in one congregation that was particularly bad. They would meet less than 2 months before the next c.o. visit and say what they thought were the problems in the congregation, assign someone to each problem, then expect each elder to address the problem. As long as that elder made some half-assed attempt to address that problem, when the C.O. would ask "Are there any problems?" the elders would say "No." If the C.O. were already aware of that problem (some damned snitch pioneer usually) then they would say "Yes, but Sister Snitch isn't aware that we have already taken action on that. Brother Lastminute has already spoken to those parties, haven't you?"

That would usually appease the C.O. enough to the point where he thinks the elders are doing a good job. There was virtually no further follow-up on those problems unless they were still a huge problem that couldn't be swept under some rug.

I don't know about elders' fear of being removed because I didn't have that fear and I didn't look for it in too many others. But as I look back, many elders had that concern. Some wouldn't move from their home because they knew it would be harder to be reappointed somewhere else than to be avoiding removal in their current congregation.

• inbetween
    inbetween

pretty well described so far.

Consider the CO like a mid-level manager that comes to check up on the local outlet, and you understand most actions of the elders before the visit.

From my own experience, what really troubles most of them , is the sheperding issue, in no hall I ever was, the elders never tolf the truth, which was almost always, that there is hardly a real shperding being done....

• cantleave
    cantleave

Are elders honest about the TRUE state of the congregation?

• St George of England
    St George of England

Don't forget "creative counting" for meeting attendance in the weeks leading up to the visit.

George

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

As an ex secretary.....NO !

• Queequeg
    Queequeg

As a ministerial servant I was assigned the territories. No one explained to me that the congregation(elders) might experience the shame of having an outside group assigned to help them cover their territory. So, when the secretary(or was it the service overseer... who cares!) would call me in a panic a few weeks before the co visit telling me I needed to get the unworked territories turned in, I would think "that's kind of dishonest" and blow it off. That was back when I really believed that it was the "truth" and that things should work in an honest fashion. Oops.

In one of my first meetings as an "elder" with the co, the co asked the po what we had done to fix the terrible state of shepherding in the congregation. The po (a man who really should have been a career polititian), looked the the co in the eye and said very confidently, "we've addressed that brother Nelson". Technically, that was true because it was discussed in a previous elders meeting, but nothing had actually been done about it. I found out later that there were couples who had been begging for "shepherding" because their marriages were falling apart, who moved to other congregations (the marriages still failed) to get some help.

Also, it appears to be helpful to have a world class golf course in your area. Pray for circuit overseers who golf...A nice day of golf, paid for by the po and his cronies seems to be very helpful in shaping the "true state" of the congregation for the co.

• blindnomore
    blindnomore

The Coodinator of BOE engaged in spreding a melicious slandering against publisher(s). The BOE covered up for COBOE to an investigating CO. At the end COBOE got puffed up and was rewarded with the assembly parts and his helpless inocent victim(s) got DF'ed. His victims' offense?-being Rank & File. No one, including a CO, even approached R & F of his/her side stroy.

Now this same COBOE is in trouble with another R & F on the same issue, a malicious slandering. He will be fine. The BOE will cover him up again. The CO is bascially being playing in the hands of the BOE. The GB is rely on the COs' report. The poor R & F will keep on waiting for 'Jehovah to take care of the matter'

Besides, to name a few more of dishonesty/tactic of BOE:

setting up last minute 'pioneer assistant' program or approving anyone and everyone, including a pedephile, for axuillary and regular pioneering to shine the record or manuplating meeting attandance or sharing the half made up truth and leaving the other real truth(=out right lie) on the issues or buying out CO with good wine, food, shopping, money, vacation package.......

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

As an ex-secretary.....YES! (Just keeping it real)

Well let me elaborate- I was on edge and nervous when a certain CO we had was coming to visit, bc I NEVER had everything right for him. I would pound my head against a wall in the weeks prior to his visit trying to get every single # on every single card, but never could get them all.

I never even dreamed of fudging one box let alone a whole column or card back then. Now I see the foolishness and unscripturalness of it of course.

On the other hand, we had a couple COs that were the opposite- laid back, friendly, easy to work with and when they were coming I didn't break a sweat. Gene Fields was one of those. A dream CO and a truly nice guy.

When it came to talking about how great the cong was doing, we would embellish a little, I think it is human nature. But I can only speak for my area and the BOEs I worked with. We always had a shepherding program the entire time I was an elder, from when I was appointed to when I got out. It wasn't perfect, but the pubs got called on, every single one of them once or twice a year.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit