Are YOU a consumer, or an artist?

by HintOfLime 25 Replies latest social entertainment

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

i'M A JOB CREATOR

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

I am a consumer. I know very little about computers yet I have an IBN desk top on the second floor landing, a HP laptop on my firstfloor on my desk, a notebook computer I take to work, and an iPAD + a blackberry which I can't find most of the time. I spend too much time in the cp. I would like to learn more about the cp; maybe tomorrow.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

Sorry, it's been a few days since I had a drink. Sip.... ah, that's better.

It's obvious now that you mention it.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Whaaazup with this thread??

The title is about "consumers" versus being "artists", but then it veered off into technogeek land...

Were you perhaps referring to "CON-sumers" versus "PRO-sumers"???

From this website: http://www.reapcalgary.com/articles/prosumerism-times-recession

" "A prosumer is a proactive consumer, rather than a passive one" says Todd Hirsch, the senior economist at ATB Financial. "The new prosumer gets more involved in the act of consumption, demanding more information about what the product is, where it was made, etc."
    That means instead of just blindly buying goods that come from half way across the world, more people are paying much closer attention to what they buy. "It's a positive development," says
    Hirsch. "But it will require more time, energy, and probably money
    for the consumer."
    REAP and Calgary Dollars are two organizations that have been developed to try to make shopping locally easier - and more cost effective - for consumers. ..."

"Prosumerism" has also been described as the ability or willingness to MAKE much more of what a person uses in their daily life, such as growing vegetables instead of buying them, sewing one's own clothing instead of buying clothes - especially since purchased clothing is more likely to have been made in Third World countries by children working in sweat shops...

Which nearly every member of the SCA - "Society for Creative Anachronism" - already does... Well, in a 'medieval' sense, that is...

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

In the 80's, the game development bubble burst... Nintendo, Sega, Atari... everything fell.

It's all about to happen again - right now. Because there is a new market for sub-par shit - the apple market.

That's it really. (Personally, I work in a niche market, and so I'm isolated...) but shitty apps tell consumers that apps 'suck'... and those consumers give up on apps for a long time. Gabe - of Valve inc, (which is more profitable per employee that Microsoft, google, etc.) commented on it this week... and I share his opinion.

Iphone apps suck. They are way below par compared to any other modern platform. They are the 'walmart' of apps. They teach potential new audiences that software sucks, and they teach new developers to just make shit. Hell, people are stupid enough to buy it. Sadly, one of my good friends who now lives in Hong Kong pressures me daily to drop PC development and join him making shit for iPads. (And I really do mean shit - at $5, it doesn't matter if it doesn't even work as long as the shots look good!)

Apple has created a short-term bubble for it's own short-term gain, and it has throw dedicatedcontent inovators under the bus in favor of short-term shit.

I wrestle with that daily. Should I make shit for stupid people... or something complex and functional? Please - tell me.

- Lime

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    Please - tell me.

Do what you enjoy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit