Are YOU a consumer, or an artist?

by HintOfLime 25 Replies latest social entertainment

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

Do you create, or consume?

An ipad has somewhere around 1 gigaflops of processing power.

Apple's ads brag about this.

1 WHOLE GIGAFLOP of processing power! Equivilant to a supercomputer (sometime in the past).

An Intel Core i7 processor ~80 gigaflops of processing power.

1 gigaflop. Vs. 80. That is Ford Model T's 20 hp engine vs. a 1800 HP engine.

So, if you wanted to say, process some HD video, what would take a PC 1 minute to render and preview would take 70-80 minutes on an iPad (assuming the battery lasted that long under heavy load).

There is no free lunch here - you pay less... you get less - a lot less. Try to run photoshop on 1 gigaflop of power, and well, it uh, sucks really bad. Are you a creative artist, or are you a 'dumb' media consumer?

Want to write a novel? The best input device for that is a keyboard. You learn where the keys are, and you can input at up to 80 words per minute. On a media consuption device like iPad.. 3, hell, maybe 4 words per minute...

"THE PC IS DEAD".

Uh.. sure. It's dead to the majority of idiot Americans who are too boring to createsometing. For those of us that are creative and want to make stuff...

- Lime

Fuck apple.

(Ahhh it's great to speak out against the mindless masses!)

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    Do you create, or consume?

False dichotomy.

An Intel Core i7 processor ~80 gigaflops of processing power.
    1 gigaflop. Vs. 80. That is Ford Model T's 20 hp engine vs. a 1800 HP engine.
    So, if you wanted to say, process some HD video, what would take a PC 1 minute to render and preview would take 70-80 minutes on an iPad (assuming the battery lasted that long under heavy load).

Try throwing that 80 gigaflops in a backpack and using it far away from the grid with current technology.

There is no free lunch here - you pay less... you get less - a lot less. Try to run photoshop on 1 gigaflop of power, and well, it uh, sucks really bad.

There is a right tool for a job, and a wrong tool.

Are you a creative artist, or are you a 'dumb' media consumer?

False dichotomy.

Want to write a novel? The best input device for that is a keyboard. You learn where the keys are, and you can input at up to 80 words per minute. On a media consuption device like iPad.. 3, hell, maybe 4 words per minute...

Keyboards can be used with tablets.

Uh.. sure. It's dead to the majority of idiot Americans

The OP post proves the above statement.

who are too boring to createsometing. For those of us that arecreative and want to make stuff...

We create to realize ourselves, or to share with others.

Fuck apple.

No fan of Apple myself, but I wouldn't go that far.

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

Oh, believe me... I know.

Tell that to the morons that are priting the "End of the PC era" in tech news.

"But Boss!!! I was on my tablet ALL DAY!"

- Lime

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime
    Keyboards can be used with tablets.

Android, sure. But apple ruled THOU SHALT NOT POWER A DEVICE yadda yadda.

Fuck apple.
    No fan of Apple myself, but I wouldn't go that far.

You know you want that hot USB 3 slot (now woefully underpowered to both charge and power tablet devices).

Oh... are you a firewire guy?

- Lime

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

I own several Apple products, but I have never purchased one with my own money.

At one time, Apple was considered the most popular computer company for artists.

I remember Bethel's art department was full of them.

• botchtowersociety
  • HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

Yup. Show me the devices that aren't externally powered...

My shitty $299 netbook can power it's own external mouse, keyboard, and joypad.

It can even recharge an iphone/ipad.

- Lime

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

That's why you roll with Android.

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

So...

Desktop > Android > iOS > ... like... Amiga

(Yeah, and if you're running Mac OS, you're still totally screwed - yesterday's top-line creative customers are now banging at Avid and Adobe's door. "Please sir, let me in!")

- Lime

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    So...
    Desktop > Android > iOS > ... like... Amiga

So...

Powerdrill > hammer > saw...like...Black&Decker

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit