Are YOU a consumer, or an artist?

by HintOfLime 25 Replies latest social entertainment

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

You left out "Skill".

It used to be in there, but now it's all made in China, so it's all way, way down there.

- Lime

• talesin
    talesin

In order to take the course I want at art college in the fall, I HAVE to buy an apple computer. I just bought a new PC last year that has the power to handle any software I want, and easily upgradable RAM.

grrrr ....

tal

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

Trust me, you did good.

Hell, what app are they going to run on an Apple machine that wasn't 64-bit years ahead on the PC?

Dispite what your teacher may say - the only real difference is that the "open apple" key is called "alt" on PC...

And you can ignore all that "right click or apple-click" crap. PC's have three mouse buttons...

PC art stations have a cintiq. :P

- Lime

• talesin
    talesin

I haven't called to ask, but I don't KNOW?! I already have the PhotoShop (that's what the course is,, Intro to Digital Media), but it's in the 'necessary materials for the course' .... maybe it's b/c we will have collaborative projects .. that's all I can guess at this point. It's a snobby school, so maybe that has something to do with it....

t

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

Unfortunately so. Adobe is more-less the same on both platforms (and Apple is actively trying to chase Adobe off their platforms altogether in favor of their own product lines)..

With a Wacom tablet (the industry standard for media production), it's even less relevant.

It basically comes down to laziness on the school's part to know the few differences.

At the end of the day - the artists I hire all work on PC's, and that is the growing trend.

- Lime

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    Hell, what app are they going to run on an Apple machine that wasn't 64-bit years ahead on the PC?

Right tool for the job.

64-bitness will be arriving in ARM-based processors soon. ARM is what Apple uses in its ultramobile products, just as the rest of the market does.

You could never have launched the mobile computing revolution on traditional 64-bit x86. It would burn a hole in your thigh.

What good is 64 bit if you can't use it?

ARM stole the march from Intel. Nearly 100% of mobile phones and tablets run on ARM. Billions of processors.

That said, Apple notebooks and desktops are 64bit, and have been for many years.

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

Uh...

64 bit will be arriving soon?

Windows XP 64 bit arrived in 2002.

That's windows XP. That's before Vista even!

That..... that's "new tech" from freaking 10 years ago!!!

- Lime

• talesin
    talesin

Yah, I will just have to bite the bullet and try to secure funding for an Apple.

It sux to be so behind-the-times in my puter knowledge. It used to be my field,, my all, my everything! hehehe

t

um, yah, I was gonna say,,, I'm running a 64-bit processor.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    That..... that's "new tech" from freaking 10 years ago!!!

64 bitness isn't the only tech being advanced.

Try walking around with 80 GFLOPS in your pocket with current fabrication technology. However, your smartphone has more processing power than a 1980's supercomputer. 1GFLOP was $15 million back then. That's "new tech" you can use.

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

Sorry, it's been a few days since I had a drink. Sip.... ah, that's better. So.. what was the issue again?

Ah yes...

The Ipad and android tablets are as poweful as supercomputers from 30 years ago!! How amazing! Want to buy some tech from the 80's? I have an AMIGA in my basement.

How about purchasing my HAM radio for $600!!! It's available in both black and white... with a custom laser-engraving on the back! It's cutting edge!

Nobody needs more than 512 megs of memory!!! Wow - Apple has a new ipad with a couple gigs of memory and a multi-core 64 bit ARM processor?! Multi-core 64-bit is sooo ahead of the times.

Why aren't PC's multi-core and 64-bit like the iPad is? Why, with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse, perhaps with a folding design so I wouldn't have to cart around a bunch of loose parts - I'd never need a PC ever again!

Apple is innovative!

- Lime PS: For those that aren't aware, Microsoft proposed the idea of a DRM-laden "store" in the early 2000 era that was highly critized by consumer... pre-emptive monopolistic lawsuits were filed to prevent Microsoft from limiting software from running on it's OS based on digital rights management schemes (pendulum). Apple, on the other hand... did exactly that - and is heartidly embrased by consumers that are restricted by them... DRM, YAY!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit