'Dinah Gets Into Trouble' - Does Story 20 Mean Rape = Fornication?

by sd-7 47 Replies latest jw friends

• Balaamsass
  • Niveau
    Niveau

It's reinforced in the new YPA:

Don’t send mixed messages. Avoid flirting or dressing provocatively. Such actions may send the message that you’re interested in getting physical—or at least that you wouldn’t object to it.— 1 Timothy 2:9, 10 . (YPA 1, chapter 32 "How Can I Protect Myself from Sexual Predators?")

It's mixed in with some good advice about consent and negotiating boundaries (not framed that way, of course, but that's what the good parts boil down to) and some standard "stay alert when you're out!" advice that's probably more harmful than it is helpful, and followed by a subheading about dealing with guilt. There's a bit in the chapter on binge drinking, too, about how it can increase the chances of a drinker being raped.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    "How did all this trouble get started? It was because Dinah made friends with people who did not obey God's laws."

Unpacking this statement:

1) Original: How did all this trouble get started? It was because Dinah made friends with people who did not obey God's laws.

2) Make into declarative: All this trouble got started because Dinah made friends with people who did not obey God's laws.

3) Remove euphemism: Dinah got raped because Dinah made friends with people who did not obey God's laws.

4) Simplify: Dinah got raped because Dinah did something.

5) Rearrange: Dinah did something; and that caused her to get raped.

That's the quite explicit message. And it has the force of a threat in the very next sentence: "We will not want to make such friends, will we?" That transfers the causality of rape onto the (female) readers of the story who are asked to reconsider their choice of friends in light of this threat.

• mP
    mP

@WTWizard

Your way to generous w/ your silver amounts, the account says 50 coins. I hope i got that right.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

An additional message given in this story is: Rapests are non-JWs. As though its as simple as make a worldly friend and you will open yourself up to be raped. As though you are safe from rape if you only associate with JWs. Also, when all the men are murdered by Dinah's bros, the message is: See what she made them do. This was all her fault.

Jws were sending these messages to their little girls LONG before the Bible story book. I know, because my parents delivered them to me with a vengence.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

btt

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

LOL! Have you ever seen more Northern-European-looking women (they look to be Irish, three with red hair)? And the rapist has the perm and beard that screams out Middle Eastern/Arab.

Wait a minute: does the text to the right of the pix actually admit that "Jehovah is a narcissistic...."? What's with the denouncement of the "free-thinking" Canaanite girls comment? Since when did "free thinker" become a BAD thing? (I know, it was around the same time that 'worldly' was redefined into a negative, now meaning 'evil' rather than 'well-travelled', 'educated in the ways of men', 'cultured', etc).

• Glander
    Glander

If you would like to get in a time machine and go back to those Old Testament days all you have to do is study the current societies of Muslim extremists such as Taliban, etc. No difference. They kill their own daughters if they even date an infidel.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Maybe Leolaia can answer this for me; I remember years ago reading different translations of this scripture, and wondering whether the original text really implied rape at all?

What say ye, Leo?

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

If you would like to get in a time machine and go back to those Old Testament days all you have to do is study the current societies of Muslim extremists such as Taliban, etc. No difference. They kill their own daughters if they even date an infidel.

Yup, the cultural context of the implications of Dinah associating with a "Canaanite" girl is far more complex than using it as an example to discourage a JW from befriending a "worldly" person. The meaning is no doubt lost to modern readers, just like so many of the other meanings of the Bible that have similarly gotten lost as cultures change.

Their Disneyesque drawing certainly doesn't help to rectify the problem (if that IS a WT publication: looking at the other words in the text, it's clearly NOT WT text (eg "dirty slut" LOL!)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit