'Dinah Gets Into Trouble' - Does Story 20 Mean Rape = Fornication?

by sd-7 47 Replies latest jw friends

• sd-7
    sd-7

I was listening, albeit unwittingly, to a 'My Book of Bible Stories' tape and this statement caught me by surprise. It's found in Story 20:

"One day when Dinah came to visit, Shechem took Dinah and forced her to lie down with him. This was wrong, because a man should not force a woman to lie down with him. That would be called rape, and it is very wrong."

Oh, wait, that's not what it said. It says:

"This was wrong, because only married men and women are supposed to lie down together."

So it was not wrong because it was rape, but only because they were not married. If I hadn't read the other magazines on this subject, I would believe it was an honest and unintentional mistake. As it is, I do not. To conclude the chapter, another quote:

"How did all this trouble get started? It was because Dinah made friends with people who did not obey God's laws."

So it was her fault she got raped and her brothers wanted revenge! And surely none of Jacob's descendants raped anyone, right? I wonder if this is teaching children that (1) rape is fornication, (2) it is the woman's fault for being friends with the wrong people if she is raped, and (3) it's okay to force a woman to lie down with you if she happens to be your wife. As an apostate, I certainly hope Jehovah's organization isn't teaching things like that. How tragic such reasoning would be, and how much harm it would do to the innocent children who are led to believe it!

--sd-7

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

ok, I'm running downstairs to grab my Bible Stories book!

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

OMG, you're right! That is so twisted!

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

I remember that I hated that story when I was little. My parent read it to me all the time. Ugh. I thought only "bad girls" were raped...yet deep down, I knew that COULDN'T be true.

• the_raisin
    the_raisin

Oh gosh, I remember that story!!! Even as a brainwashed little JW soldier, it did make me angry to think about it!!! I kept thinking how wrong it was... the story in itself is quite horrifying for a little girl!!!

Lest we forget the many other rapes in the bible (justified apparently) and Lot's wife and the other anti-women tales... the bible sure is one messed up fiction book.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

All the more reason to keep your offspring clear of the kh.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Is this based on the same LIE-ble that allows men to rape women and pay 2 1/2 tubs worth of silver to the father and nothing to the victim? Then the victim is forced to marry him?

• DilemmaGF
    DilemmaGF

That is just NOT what the Bible says. OMG!! Seriously, is that what is really written in the Story Book? And it is a WTS publication? Can I know which book? Sorry I am never a JW so I don't know about the publications.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

The Book is called "my book of bible stories" and is indeed a JW publication. It will reference the scriptures that pertain to the story afterwards.

and Yes the bible actually does say that.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Reminds me of the insanity of the notion that if you do not scream you were assumed to have been a willing participant, are guilty of fornication, and if you fail to convince 3 sleezy men of your repentance, well you'll be killed DF'd.

Real mean koolaid.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit