Setback

by EdenOne 91 Replies latest jw experiences

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Steve2, for what is worth our marriage spans over two decades already, and we were typical JW, married our first boyfriend/girlfriend. My wife always more entrenched than I ever was (RP for many years) but I did just enough to go up the ladder up to the point I was an elder doing relevant parts in CCs. There was always something I couldn't put my finger on that didn't resonate with me, but naturally, the guilt of displeasing Jehovah and the fear of Armageddon haunted me. Plus, I was entirely convinced we had "the truth" or very close to that. Although my wife constantly pushed me to take the lead and do more, I always took my own pace and never was in the mood to kiss a** to progress. We were popular in our congregation and always kept a youthful mood that attracted both young and old. And my wife has a smile and laugh to die for :)

We have been a good match, we were lucky, I guess. Then the mental health of my wife had a major issue as she began to deal with severe bipolar disorder, and I became her caretaker. For nearly eight years we went through hell with suicide attempts, confinements to mental hospitals etc. I've put up with a lot of crappy times and stood right there with her and helped her see through until she has reached stability. We accomodated to a slower-paced JW lifestyle, I quit being an Elder and went to be an MS, and things were in a gentle pace. Until I began to investigate TTATT. She felt something was wrong with me because I started to be critical of the Organization here and there, not nodding to everything said from the platform, until one day she picked up an article I had writted about some doctrine and took it to the Elders. I had told her that she had a choice before her, and to chose carefully. She chose to take it to the elders on my back, in hopes that she was "saving me". Perhaps, but she also did it because she was spiteful that our child quit going to the meetings and blamed me for being the evil apostate that did it. She even told me that if there was a burning hell, I surely deserved to be sent there.

This led me to a trialing time with the elders, and a veritable whitch hunt. All through the process my wife could see that I was being treated unfairly by the elders, and she felt for the first time what is it to not have freedom of thought and freedom of expression within the congregation. It came to a head when, one insomiac night, she found out online material about the child abuse scandals and Barbara Anderson's website. Overnight, she told me that she decided to stop going to the meetings and no longer wanted to be a Jehovah's Witness. I felt overjoyed. Naturally, her decision caused havoc on her side of the family and the elders decided it was time to form a JC on grounds of apostasy. I started a cold war on social media, letting the congregation members know that I was going to be trialed on a JC and, and hinting what the reason was. The pressure I put on and the fierce defense I put up on the JC (I managed to force the COBE, who was leading the witch hunt to stay out of my JC) and I ended up being only "publicly reproached". From then on, I stopped attending meetings, so did my wife, who, by then, took my side and supported me through and through. When we stopped going to meetings we both felt the atrocious shadow of shunning haunting us.

However, things between us were better than ever. We were both experiencing a feeling of liberation and freedom that was full of promise for the future. We drew plans for what to do when we were successfully fading, we discussed openly TTATT, it was great, and our child came out of a very dark period of adoslescence and started blossoming again.

Until her mother died. The funeral service brought us back in contact with the congregation and everyone was nice to both of us, but the lovebombing on her (as daughter) was very intense. I know for a fact that many thought that she was under my evil control. As for me, rumors that I went apostate abounded, so there was a bit of distance, but overall, I was given a decently warm welcome. However, I've noticed how the love bombing impacted my wife and from that day on, she drew closer to the old friends in the congregation and slowly started to distance herself from me. In a couple of months, the turnaround was complete. I can see she's conflicted, she's depressive, despite claiming to feel good about going back. She sees how hurt I feel for her choice, but she can also be very determined. And again, to my sadness, I realize that our marriage comes second to her faith. But, don't all good witnesses get indoctrinated that way? What's new...

I'm coming to that age when you start making decisions for the second half of your adult life. Do I really want to waste my remaining years of healthy adult life in this religiously divided household, looking over my shoulder, sleeping with one that may at any given moment beeing spying on me to inform others, and feeling left as a second choice in life? I don't deserve that, I think. Neither does she deserve to feel like she's stuck living with a demon. Not that I ever noticed she ever looking over the fence. On the other hand, we love each other and it would be a darn shame to lose this marriage.

It's just utterly frustrating. Sorry for venting.

Eden

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

I always get annoyed when people come here and apologize for venting. Makes me feel like I'm selfish because the thought doesn't usually cross my mind. It's a big part of why most of us are here, I suspect. So don't do it! haha.

You're in a tough spot to be sure. Don't let it dishearten you too much though. It's still early and time is on your side, no matter how it may seem. If she's going back without you, she's of zero status in the cult and the women will soon lose interest in her because she won't fit in to the couple's things and there's always that elephant in the room when she's around and it's just not the easy perfect situation that JWs prefer. They're not real friends, so if there's something that makes it hard they'll eventually drop off.

She's also mourning the loss of her mother, and the pull from the possibility (however remote) that they're right and they're the only way she gets to see her mother again is powerful. Maybe you can attack it from that angle, and help her remember the happy times with her mother but at the same time help her get closure? The cult is designed to prevent people from getting closure after a loss like that, and that's part of the pull. If you can help her to remove that, you'll get one of their biggest hooks out of her and she'll be happier too.

Make sure that you take care of yourself. Make it a priority. She'll see that you're growing as a person and she's stagnating and she won't want to be left behind. Make new friends for yourself and have them 'round and show her how much happier you are. Say things like "I never realized how great it could be to have friends that value me for me, not because we're just in the same group together." Lead by example and she may be won without a word.

It really sucks feeling so completely helpless and out of control in a situation like this, and it can really mess with your head. Try finding a hobby that you can be in complete control of. You've mentioned music - just force yourself to do it and you'll probably find that it comes back. Or find something else. Point is, when you're more fulfilled and feel like you have some power over one thing, you're going to feel better about everything. Your self worth goes up and you'll be more confident and your wife will see it. The more confident you are in your actions, the more she'll doubt her own when they conflict - that's just human nature.

It's clear that you love your wife greatly. I disagree with another's advice to go cold - I think your love for her is your greatest advantage over the cult. If you're cold her choice is between a superficially warm cult and a cold husband and that's an easy choice. Obviously it's up to you, but that's my take on it. I have to work on that myself because it's really hard to be loving towards someone who's giving you the silent treatment for skipping a meeting.

You've got a better chance at success than most, I think. You and your wife have been through a lot together, and in that crucible a powerful bond was formed. The cult may have a superficial draw right now, but I think you'll win. I wish I had the bond with my wife that I suspect that you have with yours.

We're all pulling for you!

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Eden, I am so sorry for the anguish you are experiencing. To have your wife out with you only to watch her fall prey to the cult mentality again is heartbreaking.

You have shown yourself to be a loving supportive husband through your wife's physical and mental illness. She needs to remember that time when she is giving you looks of disgust. Who else would have been there for her like you were?

I wish I had the answer for you. All I know is that everyone deserves to receive the love they give. Hugs

• EdenOne
    EdenOne
    OneEyedJoe: If you're cold her choice is between a superficially warm cult and a cold husband and that's an easy choice.

This is one excellent point. I need to work on overcoming my depressive mood and bitterness and get back on track to my music composing and to make new friends. A bit hard for me, because deep inside, I'm a bit of an introvert, but it's doable.

Eden

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Your first impulse would be to be warm, which is fine when the cult does turn cold. But my point is that by being cold it causes her to think twice about taking you for granted, giving her insecurity that you might not always be around and that her actions have consequences.

And it appears to me that those are precisely the things that she needs to think twice about right now.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

JimmyPage, I get your point of view, but knowing my wife, any opposition, or giving her a hard time, or a cold shoulder only reinforces her determination to seek solace within the cult. Sure, it would rub on her insecurities, but then the risk is to endanger her mental health, and that I don't wish not even to my worst foe.

Eden

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Hi EDENONE - just logged in a little while ago and read your sad post. I feel for you.

But take heart - your wife can be won without a word! (1 Peter 3:1)

You now know the ground rules - you keep quiet, (with her - not us!) and like my alcoholic friend who years ago who refused all my help and then straightened himself out, (thanks to a single experience!) there's every chance the Org will supply your wife with a solid reason to exit!

Hang in there with a positive outlook, and your wife will notice that your side of the fence is much happier and less stressful than her side!

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    This is one excellent point. I need to work on overcoming my depressive mood and bitterness and get back on track to my music composing and to make new friends. A bit hard for me, because deep inside, I'm a bit of an introvert, but it's doable.

I'm right there with ya. I'm on the extreme end of the introvert spectrum, and it's difficult for me because my wife has always been my tie to a social life. I've started making some friends at work lately though and I'm realizing that it's much easier than expected and certainly more rewarding than any JW friendship I've had. Keep it up and you'll get there.

Your first impulse would be to be warm, which is fine when the cult does turn cold. But my point is that by being cold it causes her to think twice about taking you for granted, giving her insecurity that you might not always be around and that her actions have consequences.

And it appears to me that those are precisely the things that she needs to think twice about right now.

Hopefully this doesn't come off argumentative, because I don't want to derail this thread from being about supporting Eden, but I can't help but think that being cold will only drive her further in. Making her insecure about the marriage could easily drive her to seek security elsewhere, and she's going to go to the cult for that.

I totally agree, though, that she needs to know that her actions have consequences, but in my experience simply articulating the consequences (i.e. the pain she's inflicting on her loving husband) can be pretty powerful. At the very least it might draw out a conversation which might result in progress, instead of tit-for-tatt passive-aggressive fighting that will only further drive her away. Easier said than done, though, to be sure.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Alive! Welcome to this forum, btw, and thank you.

And my heartfelt thank you for everyone who posted, your input is very important. I'm also ecouraged to see that my experience is motivating some readers to step up and sign up. Thank you.

Eden

• redvip2000
    redvip2000
    Just goes to show you the real reason why people stay attached to the Org. It's an emotional connection. It's not based on facts, or evidence, or logic, or anything that can be addressed with rational thought. This is why it's so hard to get JWs to wake up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit