Better to reign in hell then serve in heaven

by usualusername 20 Replies latest jw friends

• usualusername
    usualusername

Is there a tiny part of us who left the truth just because we were fed up of following rules?

I know the truth/troof is not all it is cracked up to be but I have been a little bit of a rebel all my life and so rebelled.

Did you leave partly to get more booze, sex, drugs and sex?

• anezthy
    anezthy

No. I had all of the sex and booze while I was in. That was never an issue as I was the ultimate rebel. The many rules did it for me though. Yep... too many rules.

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

I did want a gf and sex, but not necessarily a crazy, debauch life either. You have to be smart about your life, not squander it. Excess is bad in most contexts.

I am an intellectual rebel. I can't stomach their rationale. I want the freedom to say what I really think and feel. Not what they, the Bible, or anyone else tells me to say.

• finally awake
    finally awake

I'm not much of a drinker anymore, and I don't do drugs at all anymore. I do like sex though, and I find that I have more time and energy for that since I'm not wasting all that time at meetings anymore.

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

I didn't leave because of the rules, I left because I no longer believed it.

That said, I did spend some time "catching up" on what I'd missed... Got drunk a couple of times (not really my style), smoked weed, and had sex with whoever I wanted to. After 2 years, I got that all out of my system lol.

• Think About It
    Think About It

I was a very straight & conservative elder when I left. Still very straight and somewhat conservative in my views. Wasn't so much all the rules. It was all the rules that didn't add up to this being God's Organization like it claimed. The con was over, I took the red pill and seen behind the curtain. Game over for Watchtower in my life.

Think About It

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Nope, I could had all that on the inside if I wanted to. I knew of folks in the inside who were doing all that I left cuz I knew deep in my gut it wasn't the truth.

• biometrics
    biometrics
    Better to reign in hell then serve in heaven

Be careful what you wish for.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Following rules to please God is called "legalism" which as Ray Franz explained is "a denial of Christian faith" (ISOCF, and g79 6/8 pp. 27-28).

"Legalism" leads us to the "god of religion" (the devil).

The same with moralism (a moral code), ethnocentrism (dissecting doctrines), and Gnosticism (supremacist self-righteousness attained by the supposedly "right" knowledge).

The unabridged gospel (of unmerited favour) is the opposite of "legalism" and leads us to the "God of Abraham".

• talesin
    talesin

Nope, I could had all that on the inside if I wanted to. I knew of folks in the inside who were doing all that I left cuz I knew deep in my gut it wasn't the truth.

Me, too, MrsJones

t

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit