Reading is NOT Overrated!

by White Dove 49 Replies latest social entertainment

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

This past Christmas I gifted myself with a Sony e-reader. Best little device I hve . . well one of the best

It is amazing what has been made available as e-pub or pdf books.

Over the last few years I have been reading a lot of crime books - mostly series now but I started by reading all of Grisham and then Ludlum's books including his Bourne books and the continuing series by Lustbader.

I've also read continuing series by Lisa Scottolini. Jaohn Sanders, Jonathan Kellerman series and his wife, Faye has her own series. I started on Lee Child as well. I started all of these as paperbacks and now have found all the books for my e-reader.

I have also gotten all of Isaac Asimov's sci-fi books which I want to read in their chronological oder (different than the order they were written)

On the e-reader I also have Tolkien (The Hobbitt, Lord of the Rings and the Silmarillion), Tolstoy (Anna Karenina and War and Peace), Dickens (Works of Charles Dickens), Lucy Maud Montgomery (Anne of Green Gables) and Rowling (all the Harry Potter books which I have never read)

And I have thrown in some Neitzsche, Verne, Huxley, Bronte.

I want to get back into reading more psychology and recovery books.

I love reading - always have. I was an avid reader during my childhood. Books took me away from all the abuse and into other worlds. As a JW my escape was mostly autobiographies where people had medical challenges to overcome. After I left the JWs I read hundreds of books about abuse and recovery. and just before I left the JWs I read a lot of Harlequin romance novels - read escape books for me at the time

• scary21
    scary21

Love to read.....Love books, have hundreds. I would have a kindle if I traveled.......but I don't do to much of that lately. I just love the looks and feel of a book. True crime and history are my favorites.

One that combines both is The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson......A must read.....You will thank me !

For a fast easy read......anything by Ann Rule- ( if you like true crime )

Sherry

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

scary

I do a lot of reading on busses, waiting in checkout lines, and in bed. I don't have to carry a thick book around that jams up my purse. I have arthritis in my wrists so the lightweight of a reader is a blessing. And if I finish one book while I am out all I need to do is open another file onthe reader and I'm readign the next one.

My biggest concern is theft. But then it seems a lot of kids no longer read in full sentences so a full-text book might not be be very interesting to them

• the_raisin
    the_raisin

I have not one, but TWO, library cards, different cities, different coasts!!! And I read the heck out of books! I love books! I am very lucky to have such a gigantic library in my city, because I go through books like nothing :).

That said... I have a dirty little secret: I read YA. God I am a sucker for a good YA novel!!!

But yeah reading is NOT overrated. It's attractive, it can be the gateway to amazing litarary experiences, and it is an art in itself!

• talesin
    talesin

Lady Lee, I have a great book on psychology, called In Search of the Human Mind. You may already have it, or have studied it.

It's a textbook (I am guessing first year), and covers a broad range, from the beginnings of psychology and the myth of Psyche, jhow the brain works, cognitive methods; well, it has a plethora of information.

tal

• glenster
  • panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

Sorry for the late post.

Talsin, thanks, I will order Mila18 and put it on my list of must reads. Thanks for the tip on James Clavell, I will also get his books.

Glander. Thanks for letting me know what you think about "Fall of Giants."

I hope to do a lot of reading this summer. It's always nice to know what other readers think about what they have read.

• James Brown
    James Brown

I love the historical fiction of James Michner.

I read Keith Richards,"Life", I also read "Stone alone" by Bill Wyman

I've read Grapes of Wrath.

I've read "On the Road" by Jack Kearouc. His home is close to mine, though he doesnt live in it any longer.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

White Dove:

I always loved to read and still do. I pay no attention to anybody who says reading is "overrated". I suppose thinking is overrated too!

I read "old-fashioned" paper books which is not to say I have anything against those loaded onto those tablets. I am just able to get my hands on lots of used books.

• White Dove
    White Dove

I find that the e-readers allow one to read really thick, heavy books, like Under the Dome and The Stand.

Those left bruises on my chest when I read them in bed.

I downloaded the Bible in English and Spanish, too.

Still think the Bible is a good read for culture and some history's sake.

I love how I can jump around to different books to try them out.

Yes, I go through books like water.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit