Reading is NOT Overrated!

by White Dove 49 Replies latest social entertainment

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

I'm into a lot of self improvement books. They have improved my life immeasurably.

• talesin
    talesin

ATJ -- The Dance of Anger, was life-changer for me, in the self-improvement genre.

t

• d
    d

I read a lot of George Orwell and Aldous Huxley and I am starting to read Nietzsche

• White Dove
    White Dove

What's the name of the books that's got Chooloo in it? Can't spell that.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Cthuhlu. He's in a number of stories by H.P.Lovecraft.

There is also a campaign to elect him President. As they say "why vote for a lesser evil." http://www.cthulhu.org/

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I have the basic Barnes & Noble Nook, a Christmas gift from my sister. My sister was torn between a Kindle and Nook but some online review preferred Nook b/c you can get help in your local store. It is a great feature. Touch is important and the text cannot convey it. I made regular trips to B&N in the beginning. I went for a dedicated ereader over the more sophisticated color ones. Reviewers said they offered too many options. If you want all that functionality, you should invest in the much better ipad.

It was sort of hell getting it started. My tendency is to press harder if something is not registering. A lighter touch is needed.

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

I love to read and read almost anything except romance and vampire books. I also favor historical fiction. My favorite authors/novels are James Michener, Exodus by Leon Uris, Taylor Caldwell, The Executioner’s Song by Norman Mailer, and Wilber Smith, who writes about Africa. I remember when I bought “The Executioner’s Song”; my husband thought it was a no good book. As I remember, and made sure he knew, Mailer won the Pulitzer Prize for the novel. He also told me I always chose crazy books when I came home with “Jaws” and we all know where that novel went. The movie cannot capture the terror the woman experiences during that shark attack but the reader can feel it. Gabriel Garcia Marquez, the Colombian novelist, is also one of my favorites. His book, Cr ó nica du una muerte anunciada/ Chronicle of an Announced Death, is such a gripping novel (imo) It is a true story about a murder/execution of a young man by two of his friends. The whole small town knows they are going to kill him but no one warns the young man. Marquez’s mother would not allow him the write the novel until the young man’s mother died to spare the mother. Anyway, I like knowing what other authors and novels others like so I can expand my reading. Ken Follett’s “The Pillars of the Earth” is waiting on the shelf and I know I’m probably the last one the readers I know to read it but just haven’t had the time. I just started “In Search of Christian Freedom.” I have an iPAD but for now, I prefer paper books.

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

Sorry my font is so large.I'm not really screaming. I did it in Word and transfered it.

• talesin
    talesin

panhandlegirl,

Leon Uris is one of my favorite authors. Have you read Mila18, about the Warsaw ghetto? You will never forget it.

You may enjoy James Clavell; he writes wonderful historical fiction. I especially enjoyed his Asian saga ,,,, King Rat, Shogun, Taipei and Noble House, and a fascinating novel about Iran called Whirlwind.

tal

• Glander
    Glander

Panhandler - I envy you having "Pillars of the Earth" ready to read, one of my faves. However, Follett's most recent tome, "Fall of Giants" was a complete dissappointment in my opinion.

PS Only the Kindle Fire can be read in the dark, which has a big effect on batt. life. The other Kindles require normal ambient reading light.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit