Question #9 of this week's "oral review" of DVD "Faith In Action"...

by Alfred 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cedars
    cedars

For more info on how the Society re-wrote history with this DVD, see this thread by jwfacts:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/214208/1/Watchtower-falsification-of-its-history

Cedars

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

To save yourself brain damage from listening to this drivel, the question is covered in part two at 4 mins 30 secs.

The Ocker quotes the October 1876 Bible Examiner.

reprint here.

http://www.heraldmag.org/olb/contents/russell/Exmnr.PDF

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

This is a Brooklyn Daily Eagle article from around 1911.

It reads like the pre 1975 buildup from my youth.

• cedars
    cedars

Wow, what an extraordinary historical document - thanks so much for posting Black Sheep!

It's incredible to think that A.C. Bull (assuming that was his real name) shared many of the concerns over early Russellite teachings that many of us now have today over the modern incarnation of the Watch Tower Society. Shunning is clearly mentioned as a technique used by Russell to impose the validity of his ideas and silence any dissenters, and the Governing Body have kept this damaging tradition with its legacy of broken families. It's chilling to think that so little has changed in over 100 years.

Cedars

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

BLACKSHEEP- you don't happen to know the exact day of that article, do you?

Thanks

BOC

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

No.

But at the bottom, right, there is an orbituary for Major General Charles L. Hodges who died December 24, 1911.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Interesting that there are similar strong arm tactics that Russell used to frame a protective structure around himself and his teachings.

Even though his teachings were saturated in bullshit.

I think what happened is that the people whom he lured in, had become were more or less his underling employees, as like what he had at his clothing

stores, where they were to not object and be in complete compliance to whatever he taught. He wasn't just a clothing store owner now he was

a self recognized prophet of god, selectively chosen by god himself, postulated by the pieces of literature he sold and the public talks

he gave.

The similarity to people like Russell's character could go along with other men like David Koresh of the Branch Davidains .

The wording used in the heading of the articles says a lot too " Former Disciplines of Russell "

Russell had made himself up as a Jesus type figure before all mankind. What he really was , was a charlatan that took the opportunity

to sell himself off to the public as something special among the ordinary, an opportunistic attention getter, exploiting the publics belief

in the bible to cultivate his own personal aspirations.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

bookmarking

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Those letters were fascinating, Black Sheep. The shunning part surprised me too. I thought this practice only came later, some time after these statements:

Watchtower April 1, 1920, Let Us Dwell In Peace, p. 100-101

We would not refuse to treat one as a brother because he did not believe the Society is the Lord's channel. ...

... If others see it in a different way, that is their privilege. There should be full liberty of conscience.

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

What whitewashed self-sanitized lies! These DVDs make my skin crawl.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit