Do JWs even mention the 'generation' teaching to new studies?

by lisaBObeesa 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Back in the day, when I was an active JW I would not stick the most difficult to swallow stuff under a new person's nose.

I was disconcerted to find that the "Bible Teach" book was bluntley giving the information that Blood was to be abstained from, no info. about the new (then) fractions thingy.

I thought then that if I actually somehow was forced to conduct a study, I wouldn't do it in that book !

I think J.W's tell people to put stuff on the back-burner until later, and then the person becomes indoctrinated into beleiving they are learning the "truth" and never looks closely at the dodgy teachings from then on.

I used to justify this deception in my mind by saying "They need to build up their faith first"

Of course, it was faith in the Organization, if you can get that strong enough in a person, the teachings do not matter.

Cult ?

• skin
    skin
    Daily Text, April 15 2012

Sunday This generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur.—Matt. 24:34

DOWNLOAD Truly I say to YOU that this generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur. Although we cannot measure the exact length of “this generation,” we do well to keep in mind several things about the word “generation”: It usually refers to people of varying ages whose lives overlap during a particular time period; it is not excessively long; and it has an end. (Ex. 1:6 Eventually Joseph died, and also all his brothers and all that generation.) How, then, are we to understand Jesus’ words about “this generation”? He evidently meant that the lives of the anointed who were on hand when the sign began to become evident in 1914 would overlap with the lives of other anointed ones who would see the start of the great tribulation. That generation had a beginning, and it surely will have an end. The fulfillment of the various features of the sign clearly indicates that the tribulation must be near. By maintaining your sense of urgency and keeping on the watch, you show that you are keeping up with advancing light and following the leadings of holy spirit.—Mark 13:37 But what I say to YOU I say to all, Keep on the watch.” w10 4/15 2:13, 14

• skin
    skin

Notice where it says: ""the word “generation”: It usually refers to people of varying ages whose lives overlap during a particular time period".

I looked up a number of different dictionaries and found no definitions of generation that agree with 2 lives overlapping, in fact they mostly say the exact opposite. So how can it be said that it "usually refers" to overlapping lives when no dictionary agrees?

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

well, there you go. Newbies will be exposed to the current generation teaching today in the daily text.

interesting.

• erbie
    erbie

I do wonder if even the person who wrote that muck believes it.

And however they dress it up, a generation does not last 100 years.

Not even in Watchtower land.

Overlapping indeed!!!

Who the hell do they think we are?

• Chariklo
    Chariklo
    They don't call them "progressive Bible studies" for nothing. They wouldn't start on the overlapping generation at their Bible studies,unless the student heard it at the meeting or convention. Witnesses are not encouraged to get into anything too deep with new studies.

As a "progressive Bible study" I actually asked about this very point. I had been at the previous summer's Convention when it was discussed. I was roundly told off and rebuked for not having paid attention. "Why didn't you take notes?"

"I did take notes."

"Well, go and read your notes."

That is word for word what happened. It was only about 3 months ago. The study conductor is a pioneer, very prominent in the congregation, wife of an elder in a key position.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX
    "I did take notes."
    "Well, go and read your notes."
    That is word for word what happened. It was only about 3 months ago. The study conductor is a pioneer, very prominent in the congregation, wife of an elder in a key position.

You mean that you didn't say, "Well, I would like to see your notes, just to make sure that I got it correct."

...and see her squirm a bit.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

we do well to keep in mind several things about the word “generation”: It usually refers to people of varying ages whose lives overlap during a particular time period;

This is where the WTS. came up with their biggest lie to date , in reality Jesus was most likely speaking to the generation that was alive while he spoke

those words, but thats being a bit too truthful for the WTS. Their insinuation is that this Generation(s) is living right now in are time.

One interpretation has absolutely no supporting help whatsoever, the other has potentially much more.

Even though there is a plausible time limit to their interpretation.

How long and how many generations will they assume since 1914 is anybodies guess.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I don't see that the Bible Teach book talks about "generation." It's interesting that in Chap. 9 it states "The preceding chapter in this book explained that Jesus Christ became King in heaven in the year 1914." However, the previous chapter didn't explain it. It's in an appendix about 1914. It's certainly not "proven" or really "explained." Rather, it gets a superficial treatment as if, "this is a fact that everyone accepts."

• Chariklo
    Chariklo
    It's in an appendix about 1914. It's certainly not "proven" or really "explained." Rather, it gets a superficial treatment as if, "this is a fact that everyone accepts."

Exactly that, Billy. I too protested that it didn't really explain it. I was told I was spiritually weak, and the elder himself spent an hour and a half patiently "explaining" it all to me, while the pioneer wife pitied my stupidity.

Ok, maybe I'm being a bit unkind and satirical in telling the bare bones of what happened, but it is indeed the bare bones of what happened. That particular conversation took place 8 months ago. .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit