Do JWs even mention the 'generation' teaching to new studies?

by lisaBObeesa 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

The other thread got me to wondering if people who are studies ever even learn about the current generation teaching.

Is the current generation teaching part of the book that is used with studies now?

• jam
    jam

Next time A JW come your door, ask about generation

teaching and watch them run.

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

(bookmarking)

• anezthy
    anezthy

I would never teach something that I don't understand myself. I guess that's their approach in respect to this new "Generation" light. The "Generation" theory will eventually be shelved next to the Beth Sarim deed.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

bump.......anyone know if they even teach the current generation teaching to new studies?

And what is the book that they use with studies these days, anyway?

• blondie
    blondie

I have the 2011 WT-CD and can't find any reference to the newest teaching in the current study book.

*** km 4/11 p. 2 Question Box ***

How long should we study with a progressive Bible student?It is best to continue studying with a progressive Bible student until he has completed two publications—WhatDoestheBibleReallyTeach? and “KeepYourselvesinGod’sLove.” This is true even if the student gets baptized before finishing both books. After his baptism we may continue to report the time, the return visits, and the study. If a publisher accompanies us and participates in the study, he may also count the time.—See the March 2009 OurKingdomMinistry, page 2.

But it has been discussed in the WT:

"He evidently meant that the lives of the anointed who were on hand when the sign began to become evident in 1914 would overlap with the lives of other anointed ones who would see the start of the great tribulation." Watchtower 2010 April 15 p.10

*** w10 6/15 p. 5 United in Love—Annual Meeting Report ***John Barr gave the third and final talk, which explained Jesus’ illustration of the wheat and the weeds. (Matt. 13:24-30, 38, 43) That illustration refers to a “harvest” during which “the sons of the kingdom” are gathered and the weeds are separated to be burned up.

Brother Barr made clear that the gathering would not continue indefinitely. He referred to Matthew 24:34, which says: “This generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur.” He twice read the comment: “Jesus evidently meant that the lives of the anointed ones who were on hand when the sign began to be evident in 1914 would overlap with the lives of other anointed ones who would see the start of the great tribulation.” We do not know the exact length of “this generation,” but it includes these two groups whose lives overlap. Even though the anointed vary in age, those in the two groups constituting the generation are contemporaries during part of the last days. How comforting it is to know that the younger anointed contemporaries of those older anointed ones who discerned the sign when it became evident beginning in 1914 will not die off before the great tribulation starts!

“The sons of the kingdom” eagerly await their heavenly reward, but all of us must remain faithful, shining brightly to the end. What a privilege we have to see the collecting of the “wheat” in our time.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

They don't call them "progressive Bible studies" for nothing. They wouldn't start on the overlapping generation at their Bible studies,unless the student heard it at the meeting or convention. Witnesses are not encouraged to get into anything too deep with new studies.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

I have the 2011 WT-CD and can't find any reference to the newest teaching in the current study book.

Thanks, blondie. Nothing in either "what does the bible really teach?" book or "Keep yourselves in god's love" book, right?

So people being converted now will never even know about the 'overlapping generation' teaching. It will never even exist in their world. Two quick mentions in the WT are not going to mean anything to newbies....

While I was surfing around the web looking for info on the subject I found this and thought it was interesting:

http://www.watchtower.org/e/20020615/article_01.htm

"A New World Within a Single Generation"
    The United Nations Children's Fund has expressed confidence that "the pall that these abuses . . . have cast on lives around the globe can be lifted." This organization says that the terrible conditions these unfortunate billions currently have to endure are "neither inevitable nor immutable." In fact, it has issued a call for "all people to realize a new world within a single generation." This, it hopes, will be a world in which all humankind will be "freed from poverty and discrimination, freed from violence and disease."
    Those expressing such sentiments draw inspiration from the fact that even now caring people do a tremendous work to alleviate the sad consequences of "a seemingly unending string of conflicts and crises." For example, over the past 15 years, the Chernobyl Children's Project "has helped to lessen the suffering of hundreds of children affected by the cancers which the nuclear cloud left in its wake." (The Irish Examiner, April 4, 2000) Aid agencies large and small certainly do make a huge difference in the lives of the countless victims of war and disaster.
    Still, those involved in such humanitarian efforts are realists. They know that the problems being faced "are more widespread and profoundly entrenched than they were even a decade ago." David Begg, chief executive of the Irish charity Concern, says that "staff, supporters and donors responded magnificently" when Mozambique was hit by catastrophic flooding. "But," he adds, "we cannot cope alone with the sheer scale of such disasters." Regarding aid efforts in Africa, he candidly admits: "The few candles of hope that do exist flicker weakly." Many would feel that his comment accurately sums up the global situation as well.
    Can we realistically expect to see the hoped-for "new world within a single generation"? While current humanitarian efforts are truly commendable, surely it makes sense to consider another prospect for a just and peaceful new world. The Bible points to that prospect, as the next article will consider.

It just seems so ballsy of them to even mention 'a new world within a single generation'....

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa
    They wouldn't start on the overlapping generation at their Bible studies,

What I'm thinking is that it is not that they don't start with teaching the overlapping generation, it is that they NEVER teach the overlapping generation to new people.

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

NO, why would they willingly bring up anything that would shoo a potential convert/slave/publisher away?

Look at the babble-twitch book; basically it says lots of pretty things with a hook on the end to join their publishing conglomerate if you would like to reap the “bibles” benefits. This is all they teach, just what mother tells them to; it’s a bait and switch with a finely tuned hook, line and sinker.

Whenever something changes they just come out with some new bait (litter-a-turd) to push (sell), all the while acting like the previous book NEVER existed. Think about it, how many new converts ever know about, or read, old study books?

BTW: I wouldn’t be surprised if we got a new “bible study aide” soon; the babble-twitch book contains far too much old light that is getting harder and harder to explain. So instead of having to constantly stretch the troof, mother usually re-writes the definitions for us. (Remember their motto: just be a good witless and read/teach what’s on the page, don’t worry it’s true. How do we know? Because we said so, now do it!)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit