Passing out invites after the meeting

by 2tone 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• 2tone
    2tone

There was an experience I had at the kingdom hall not to long ago.

My family was hosting a party or some sort. I had to hand out a couple invites after the meeting. They were sealed in envelopes. This one bitch sister said to me you cannot hand out invitations at the kingdom hall. It was liked i had just committed the unforgivable sin or something. Anyway this bitch has had a rod stuck up her ass since her husband was promoted to MS.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Yep, I remember them cracking down on that during the 90s, could have been even earlier. I guess it was just so those not invited wouldn't be upset.

I guess these days with text messaging kids get round that silly rule.

• Zordino
    Zordino

Oh No brother 2tone. I am an Elder in your congo and you cannot use the term "Party" You can only use the term "Get Together" its more theocrapic!

• TOTH
    TOTH

I would have told her it wasn't her place to counsel me. Being that she has a HEAD. I bet her hubby would scold her for bypassing his HeadSHI*... JW's are HUGE on that HeadSHI*!

• 2tone
    2tone

Toth - thats great

Zordino - funny thing ive had elders try to give me some quick counsel sometimes and ive always giving them the i dont care or so what attitude. For the most part my elders are kind of scared of me probably because I went to college and use big words some times.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

It definately wasn't encouraged. I used to throw a number of "get togethers" :) It was best to do it outside the kingdom hall and after the meeting, never before!

**eyeroll**

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Yes, it is some stupid rule that these people in a close-knit family-type of atmosphere cannot do such a close-knit family-type of thing such as personally hand sealed invites out at the KH. Most people waited outside the KH as people were leaving and did it on the grounds of the property anyway and still wound up handing a few out inside the building discreetly.

• blondie
    blondie

*** w93 6/15 p. 30 Do You Respect Your Place of Worship? ***Jesus’ half brother James gave counsel against showing favoritism within the Christian congregation. (James 2:1-9) How can we apply this counsel in our Kingdom Halls? The appearance of favoritism could be given when the conspicuous passing of written invitations for social events is done there. In one congregation the custom was to place such invitations in the book bags or Bibles of those present. Granted, this is more convenient than sending the invitations by mail or delivering them at each home. However, how do those who do not receive an invitation feel after observing that invitations are being passed out to other individuals? Could this give the appearance of favoritism?

Of course, there need not be a strict rule that says no one can hand another a personal message or package while at the Kingdom Hall; nor is it wrong to talk in the Kingdom Hall about daily activities or events, to invite someone to your home, or to ask someone to join you in some recreation. But these should be incidental and done in a discreet and unobtrusive manner. Personal arrangements should never distract from the real purpose of our being together at the Kingdom Hall, namely, to be edified spiritually.—Matthew 6:33; Philippians 1:10.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

2tone:

Sorry, somebody got so petty with you but this is something that got out of hand just the same as people selling their wares at the hall or using the bulletin board for things other than "theocratic". The reason they made up this rule about handing out invitations is because certain people were passing around invitations to parties (opps, I mean gatherings) and they didn't invite certain people. It was all too obvious there were cliques.

The religion put their foot down because handing out invitations only makes the reality of cliques all the more visible to any onlookers and, of course, the religion doesn't want people to believe this unpleasant reality. Again, it is all about appearances. The cliques didn't go away and I am sure the clique-y people found ways to hand their invitations out discreetly. As far as I was concerned, if it was an invitation to a baby shower for a snotty sister who never said hello, I'd just as soon tear it up.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

you cannot hand out invitations at the kingdom hall

Yeah, individual JWs are big on telling you what you can and cannot do. The elders are even worse.

To which I say, "DF me or STFU!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit