Watchtower asks Congregation money for publications

by The JHWH 17 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• The JHWH
    The JHWH

Does anyone remember the case where some congregation didn't get enough money to cover the costs of the magazines?

WTBTS sent a letter to the congregation asking for money. Does anyone remeber this case? I'm looking for the letter.

• The JHWH
    The JHWH

Bump.

• nugget
    nugget

I vaguely remember being asked for a sub for the magazines, certainly people were reminded to pay promptly back in the day when we had to pay for our literature.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

As the whole thing was so they didn't have to pay tax, as they claim the publishers are nothing to do with them , are they not actually charging for the literature in an underhanded way, and thus should really still pay the tax ???

• The JHWH
    The JHWH

"As the whole thing was so they didn't have to pay tax, as they claim the publishers are nothing to do with them"

Idk about that, I'm just looking for a specific topic about a congregation that came up short in paying their magazines

(I'm not sure how recent this is, but even nowadays the magazines have some kind of "recommendation prize")., and to which

WTBTS sent a letter that pressed the elders to collect the missing amount of money.

I am absolutely certain I've seen a topic here about this, I just can't find it. Maybe somebody can help me out?

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS does keep track of the number of books and magazines, CDs and DVDs each congregation orders and compares that to what they send to the worldwide work. Of course, there are no official prices but the WTS "values" it based on what they say the world charges for similar items. I interviewed an accounts servant, and he had not received any official letter or heard of others BUT there were unofficial comments by the CO that the congregation was ordering quite a few high ticket items that did not correspond to the donations to the worldwide work.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Same comment as Blondie. I remember the C.O. saying "You get xxx magazines a month and YY books have been received and you only sent $ZZZZ dollars to the society, so you really haven't been keeping up with your donations to the worldwide work."

I suppose most bodies of elders used a bit of pressure to remind folks, but mostly just upped their own donations to keep Mother off their backs.

I never heard of any cong. actually being cut off since it was voluntary donations for literature at no cost. But hey, it's a cult.

• Sheep2slaughter
    Sheep2slaughter

I don't think they would cut anyone off. That would be very bad PR. However, in our hall there was letter read recently that normally would have the acknowledgement of our donations. However we literally had NO DONATIONS to the worldwide work. So the letter stated that. It wasn't written in a threatening manor but the point came across. I was cracking up!!!

• The JHWH
    The JHWH

"I don't think they would cut anyone off. That would be very bad PR."

I've never implied that the WTBTS would have cut off of a cong. or anything else.

In this letter I'm looking, WTBTS pressed elders to gather the missing money, which they did and the case was closed.

I am only looking for evidence of the existance of such a letter, which I remember I have seen.

• designs
    designs

The COs do receive 'special' communication from the Society on such matters, I remember CO Bro. Kovalak boosting about his 'special' letters to us elders.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit