The Special Talk.....

by wha happened? 44 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Wifey attends the spanish cong, so when we ran late in our errands, she started to get upset that she was going to miss the special talk. I told her again, and i reminded her that we already talked about this topic. The special talk is just a new outline. If u don't hear it now, u will later. There is nothing coming out about Armageddon. We get home, her mom calls and wants her to call in to hear the "special talk". I shrug my shoulders and plugged my guitar into my amp and tuned her out and she went into the other room to listen in.

I asked again, as I had the last fews years, "Anything new?" The answer is always no.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

But what about the 'important' announcementā„¢ about The Watchtower and Awake! being reduced to 16 pages next year, from the letter that was to be read after the 'Special Talkā„¢'? Surely she wouldn't want to miss that!

• TOTH
    TOTH

I feel for you. I am SOOO grateful that Mrs. TOTH isn't all that interested in the bs anymore. I just wish she would not be so afraid of her uber jw family finding out. She has to play the part at family gatherings. But she has been sick for awhile and as she says feels like it is the perfect excuse to not attend.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

u know what? I completly forgot. But I think she hung up after the talk was done.

• ziddina
    ziddina

It may always be "the same", but Watchtower Corporation keeps dangling that "carrot" of something 'new' and 'exciting' in front of them...

It's the same routine as their "armageddon" scam, just substitute another scriptural fantasy for "armageddon", and they've got another trap for the Rank&File...

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Just came back from the talk and The Announcement. The letter was read out deadpan. The letter was exactly what we had been advised , the grapevine was correct.

As for the talk? Well, beforehand a couple were saying that the title was a rehash of an old title , they thought that was funny. The talk was still 30 minutes and that did not allow for the theme to be fully developed. We heard a brief review of Mark chapt 13, and he emphasised that the reference to earthquakes did not mean an increase in their number, rather their impact. That was a tad surprising to hear but it has been in print before

Incidentally, he said that "some have asserted that it forecast an increase in number" Wifey shushed me when I stage whispered that "that is because the W/tower has said it for decades"

Halfway through, the talk changed tack, strangely and appealed to ex Witnesses to return before it is too late. It seemed very much a Watchtower talk rather than a Bible talk with the speaker reading out the mission statement from the inside mag cover, in lieu of a scripture.

We came straight home ......

• moshe
    moshe

as you said-

I asked again, as I had the last fews years, "Anything new?" The answer is always no.

a special talk in the KH is about the same as a "special enema", you have the same end results, only bigger-

• cedars
    cedars

BluesBrother said:

Halfway through, the talk changed tack, strangely and appealed to ex Witnesses to return before it is too late. It seemed very much a Watchtower talk rather than a Bible talk with the speaker reading out the mission statement from the inside mag cover, in lieu of a scripture.

That explains why members of my family returned from the meeting in an obvious mood with Mrs Cedars and I, who stayed at home. Now I realize they have been given a good dose of "your loved ones are going to die imminently unless they return to the fold" paranoia, despite our reluctant attendance of the memorial, which was solely to appease them. Thank you, Watchtower, for ruining our afternoon.

I am now made to feel like any diplomatic benefits from going to the memorial have already been wiped away, and I am now back at square one. So what exactly was the point in going?!

Cedars

• cantleave
    cantleave

Cedars you know compromising will never enable you to win. If you go to memorial it gives them a sliver of hope, that means any counsel to encourage you to go back to the meetings will be legitimised.

• cedars
    cedars

Thanks cantleave - we've been getting the cold shoulder off the relatives ever since they returned from the meeting, and now thanks to BluesBrother I know why. If I do decide to make the leap and no longer go to any memorials, I feel perfectly entitled to use this experience to explain my reasons. I only went this year to make them happy, but this "happiness" lasted barely more than a couple of days before they were reminded by their local cong of how our souls are doomed! So, is it worth it? At the moment, I'm inclined to think "no".

Cedars

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit