can of worms -ranting

by so confused 32 Replies latest jw friends

• so confused
    so confused

The more I'm reading and thinking about what I have previously learned it just opens a whold new can of worms.

My husband and I have been reading/comparing the NWT, Diaglot, Reference bible, etc. and I saw where the society added words, changed meaning, even added an entire sentence without (). I have seen where they have emphasized sayings in the watchtower that are not in the bible like "paradise earth". I could have sworn I read this phase in the bible previouly but it's not there. The crazy thing is I still want it to be true. It sounds so good not having to wake up every mornng go to work, have your own house, be at peace with the animals, never get old and die. I dont know how to get out of that thinking and probably some part of me does not want to.

I asked my husband last night what are we going to do now? He stated "find the truth." I stated what if we dont and he stated "then it will be a good journey." He stated he is waiting for me to start the journey, because I'm not ready yet. which I'm not ready. I want to be happy and to an extent I am = but previously this life was temperary. My whole plan for the future was based on paradise earth. My life now is routine - work, taking care of my baby, TV, then going to bed. We dont really have any friends that we do things with or talk to. Now even the friends that I did have on facebook i'm trying to evade because I think that they're going to ask why have we not gone to the meeting. I have always cared too much of what others think of me and hated that aspect of myself.

family that are df. I have been thinking about contacting my df sister. I have not spoken to her in several years (then it was only 2X through email because I told her I could not have a relationship with her because she was df.) She told me she could not go back to a religion that did not allow her to talk to her father who was df but she could go to his fureral if he died. The crazy thing is she was right. She is on facebook now for a while and previously asked to be added as a friend. I ignored it but did not delete her - everytime i open my facebook I see her request. If I add her I feel like i'm opening a whole can of worms and JW friends and family will find out. Even if I do contact her I feel like such a hyprocrite because I turned my back on her previously. I'm still confused about everything and I dont want to play with her emotions.

My husband was reading to me about cults last night and how JW society fit into the criteria. He was talking about how cults control people so much that they even commit suicide. I started to say JWs dont to that. But my next sentence was "they do when they have memebers die because not taking blood." That is suicide! I was reading in the bible about blood, that if god's people washed, cleansed self they would be clean; they were not df and he did not punish them. It was talking about animal blood eating not saving a persons life by getting a blood transfursion. Also, previously my husband was talking about high control groups and the people in the group need to ask premission to even see family members that are in the hospital. I stated JW does not do that! My husband gave me a look and stated "remember when you felt the need to ask the brothers at the hall if you should/could talk to your df dad who was dying". It makes me frustrated that I can't see how much control they have over my life for myself. Now I feel like I have to evaluate every decision I make in my life = is it my decision/choice or what the society has told me?

The more we are reading, researching, studying it bring up questions that I'm not ready to even dive into because it's so removed from the teaching of the society.

There's more to say but I'm giving myself a headache.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Hello So Confused,

You are where we were in 2009. You are about to embark on a very exciting journey. Keep a truly open mind and challenge everything, from whatever source. Learn to think critically and truly educate yourselves.

To start with read a few books,

Crisis of Conscience - Raymond Franz

Combatting Cult Mind Control - Stephen Hassan

Releasing the Bonds - Stephen Hassan

Captives of a Concept - Don Cameron

The gentile Times Reconsidered - Carl olaf Jonnson.

I also recommend - The god delusion by Prof Richard Dawkins - but leave that one for a bit later.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I have sent you a PM.

• blondie
    blondie

Welcome, so confused. I have been out for 11 years. It took time to see the lying and deception. Another phrase that jumped out me was "governing body." Someone online mentioned it was not in the bible and made me start researching...of course, it isn't in the bible, and I wondered why it took me so long to see it. In 1993 a WT article said that the WTS article had consistently taught that Jesus' presence began in 1914, but that same year the Proclaimers book said (underline mine). This website (using search) and www.jwfacts.org can be very helpful.

*** w93 1/15 p. 5 ‘Caught Away to Meet the Lord’—How? ***

The Watchtower has consistently presented evidence to honesthearted students of Bible prophecy that Jesus’ presence in heavenly Kingdom power began in 1914. Events since that year testify to Jesus’ invisible presence. (Matthew 24:3-14)

*** Proclaimers book jv chap. 28 pp. 631-632 Testing and Sifting From Within***

The series of books known as Millennial Dawn (and later called Studies in the Scriptures), which were penned by C. T. Russell, drew attention to the implications of this according to what the Bible Students understood from the Scriptures.

Something else that was seen as a possible time indicator involved the arrangement that God instituted in ancient Israel for a Jubilee, a year of release, every 50th year. This came after a series of seven 7-year periods, each of which ended with a sabbath year. During the Jubilee year, Hebrew slaves were freed and hereditary land possessions that had been sold were restored. (Lev. 25:8-10) Calculations based on this cycle of years led to the conclusion that perhaps a greater Jubilee for all the earth had begun in the autumn of 1874, that evidently the Lord had returned in that year and was invisibly present, and that “the times of restitution of all things” had arrived.—Acts 3:19-21, KJ.

Based on the premise that events of the first century might find parallels in related events later, they also concluded that if Jesus’ baptism and anointing in the autumn of 29 C.E. paralleled the beginning of an invisible presence in 1874, then his riding into Jerusalem as King in the spring of 33 C.E. would point to the spring of 1878 as the time when he would assume his power as heavenly Kin g.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Hello and welcome to you So Confused. So many of us have been exactly where you are, it's not an easy place to be, for sure. The wonderful thing for you is that you and your husband are in it together. Such a bonus, that is. I agree with Cantleave re the book list and especially Ray Franzs book, such a gentle humble brother whose story has helped so many of us.

I would suggest you move forward slowly but surely as you find the 'truth' about the truth. Don't make any big waves or statements, for now. You are on your way to a wonderful freedom, to think, feel, read, speak and grow. It's worth it. There are mostly wonderful people on here, many still hurting from the WTBS damage, many grieving, almost all will be here to offer you support and comfort. Please stay around and benefit from it. It does get easier, I promise.

Sending love and hugs to you

Loz x

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

I've not welcomed you yet, so howdy!

My only advice is study and take it slowly so you're sure any decisions you make you are confident in.

BUT, talk to your sister - you may gain a 'new best friend'.

xx

• cheerios
    cheerios

talking to your sister would be a good thing to do i think. she has been where you are at now, and since she knows you, she could probably be of help to get you through this.

• cheerios
    cheerios

oh and welcome :)

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

So Confused ,Welcome to the board !!! I almost cried reading your post because I clearly remember the confusion I went through when I first started 'waking up' .

It is a confusing and scary time at first,but hang in there it gets SO much better . The feeling of freedom is amazing and finally thinking on your own is priceless. I was 44 yrs old before I began my journey out,my advice to you would be don't waste another moment .

Give your sister a call . I shunned my older brother for many yrs . I missed seeing my only neice growing up . These are huge regrets . Luckily my brother forgave me and we now are working at be closer and being a real family . It is not to late for you either . One thing you must learn is to throw fear aside ,being a JW taught me to be so fearful of everything it sucks the joy of life out of you . Once you realize it is YOUR choice to step over that fear and really live things become clearer and less scary .

I wish you and your family the best .

• talesin
    talesin

Hi, and welcome.

Small steps will get you there. Of course it's difficult; belief systems of a lifetime are crumbling. One thing you talked about really struck me, and that is looking forward to the future. It's something I had a hard time with, being a born-in myself.

Future plans can and will be made, once you get over the 'hump', and start feeling better. Short term goals at first, then longer-term things. Just think, you can enjoy life NOW, instead of waiting for some unspecified date that may never arrive in your lifetime. There are lots of amazing things to explore,,,,, music, school, friendships with people who really like/love who you are ... the possibilities are limitless. Don't let that overwhelm you now, though ... just know that you will feel better.

You have the support of your husband, which is soooo great. :D

And I agree with some of the others, give yr sis a call, or send her a msg, for example: "I'm sorry, and I now understand that shunning you was wrong. I'm still confused and figuring things out, and hope we can rebuild our relationship."

All the best!

talesin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit