The wonders of God's creation - Example 1, the tsetse fly

by jambon1 319 Replies latest jw friends

• sabastious
    sabastious
    God's "design" is paradoxically magnificent and horrifying all at once.

It's easy to come to this conclusion. That's why I think systems like the Torah and the Bible were put into place. To give hope that the horror always ends in happiness. "You can kill the body but not the soul" type of stuff.

-Sab

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

To give hope that the horror always ends in happiness.

Is Armageddon your happiness Sab ?

Do your see that video I put up on C. Hitchens comments on religion ?

• ziddina
    ziddina

Hrumph.

I think it's time to swing this thread into a discussion about the "Great Green Arckleseizure"...

Instead of Sab's nebulous 'god'.

One's as real as the other...

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "All I see are NewChapter laws being broken right and left! Tsk tsk...." Sab, above

Hrumph. We'll let New Chapter be the judge of THAT!!

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Ziddina, we see things from different perspectives. You see evolution in Christianity. I see evolution in reverse. All the break-away groups did not improve the situation. See word "schism," and "schismatic": a division, separation into mutually opposed or hostile parties. I see a similar process in language development, evolution in reverse, with complex languages being simplified all the time, e.g., English and Hebrew.

Natural Immunity: You see it as self-improvement, evolution in action. I see it as pre-programmed. Yes, some people have built up resistance against sleeping sickness. If not the whole lot, living in endemic areas, would have been dead.

Cofty, I see "spirituality" as being in tune with God (his way of thinking). Some people are, some people are not.

• cofty
    cofty

Natural Immunity: You see it as self-improvement, evolution in action. I see it as pre-programmed.

Then where is your genetic evidence? You don't get to take short-cuts, you can have your own opinons but not your own facts.

Cofty, I see "spirituality" as being in tune with God

Which is as blatant an example of begging the question as you will ever see

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Cofty, you either agree with God (and his laws) or you don't. You're friends with him, or you aren't. It's a choice. Well, it's either pre-programmed, or you program yourself. I'll go for the former.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Vidgun, first you attempt to dilute the effects of facts...

"You see evolution in Christianity. I see evolution in reverse. All the break-away groups did not improve the situation...." Vidgun post #377

It doesn't matter what sort of personal spin you put on the situation; the FACT is, there were initially a few versions, then the variety exploded, then there was an "extinction" event - the persecution and destruction of "heretics" and "heathens" beginning around the time of Constantine - and then the process of "branching" began again, to the point that there are over 38,000 Christian denominations in existence today.

You may not AGREE with the wide variances in Christian belief systems, but the FACT that so many denominations have arisen from a VERY limited "belief-pool" around 300 A.D., is a solid aspect of Christianity's evolutionary "tree".

"I see a similar process in language development, evolution in reverse, with complex languages being simplified all the time, e.g., English and Hebrew. ..."

That's actually an extinction process; same as what is happening to the animal kingdom today, and for somewhat similar reasons - greater size of human population plus far more mobility and connections into a general language pool... Animal extinction is largely due to greater and ever-increasing size of human population, which causes loss of habitat - and the loss of isolated areas in which linguistic variations could be retained and new ones developed, is comparable to "loss of habitat"...

• still thinking
    still thinking
    Vidquin.........Cofty, you either agree with God (and his laws) or you don't. You're friends with him, or you aren't. It's a dchoice. Well, it's either pre-programmed, or you program yourself. I'll go for the former.

This is very black and white isn't it? What about the other options? There are so many gods to choose from (zid listed a few earlier), WHICH God and it's laws shall we pick to agree with or not? And if there is no God, how do we agree or disagree with something that does not exist?

If we are preprogrammed as you suggest...why are there so many errors in the program? Does that show a faulty programmer?

• designs
    designs

prions munch munch

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit