Why do the Witnesses keep mentioning how many people were at the Memorial at their hall?

by Iamallcool 23 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

I remember between 1966 and 1975 a frequent question, How many regular pioneers do you have, auxiliary pioneers....I can remember congregations comparing each other's numbers. The CO would use numbers showing if a circuit had fewer or more pioneers and encouraging to get the numbers UP.

The COs talk used to compare the number of baptized jws to the number attending, The PT was expected to be more than 100% and the WTS at least 100%. The least attended were always first the service meeting (people would leave after the school and any talks they gave or family gave) and the school on written review night. It didn't matter than no one went home from those meetings remembering what was said, let alone "applying it."

I can remember the "car captain" tallying up how much people had "placed" that morning and signaling out those with larger numbers for special praise.

As to memorial attendance numbers, congregations compare each other's "spirituality" or "blessing from God" by their numbers. Less numbers, less blessing. Some have even suggested that perhaps hidden sins are infecting the congregation with less attendance. Others misapply Matthew 7:12, and say the end is near because the love is cooling off (not realizing that the WTS has NEVER applied that scripture to any but Christendom).

• mP
    mP

maybe the simple answer is. theres nothing else to talk about. after hearing the same talk year in year out, what else is there ?

• blondie
    blondie

mP, I take it you were not a jw..............the question is asked with true interest and passed along to people in other congregations, trying to determine who had the most. A dropping attendance signals lack of diligence as a witness and/or a congregation. A true competitive spirit. Not even the same intensity as to how many were baptized at the convention or assembly.

Nothing to talk about? You must be assuming that jws talking about scriptural topics after a meeting. No, they discuss the new outfits, who was there once again only at the memorial that year, df'd who were there and reminding others what they were df'd for, the scandal, and let new jws in on the gossip. Noting whose husbands moved up in the hierachy of privileged duties at the memorial, and maybe if appropriate, who partook.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Its also a commendation ( pat on the back so to speak ) that the congregation is working hard to gather other people

into the following as singularly devoted preachers .

Inevitably there are more people attending the memorial, so after every one the congregation gets their confidence boosted somewhat.

Well for a week or two until the next meeting starts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit