The Governing Body Paradox

by truth_b_known 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Eiben Scrood
    Eiben Scrood

OTWO - thanks, your post made me laugh out loud.

I seriously wonder what the discussion is when they decide to bring out new light, particularly the absolutely absurdity of the overlap generation nonsense. Surely, one of the old guys must say 'are the R & F really going to buy this?' and then he must be reassured that, yes, they will.

You raise an interesting observation. I wonder if you're correct that the two changes in 2008 and 2010 were planned out ahead of time to make them more palatable. I still can't believe the majority accepted the 2010 change. It blows me away. It just makes no sense.

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

Eiben - For quite a while it made no sense to me how witnesses swallow so much bullshit.....but OTWO nailed it. Even those under mind control know something is grotesquely wrong. but if it is brought forth bit by bit by bit...with justification as to why each bit should be accepted......and you give time to let each bit not only become accepted.....but ingrained......you can do a 180 degree change on someone's belief over a course of years and without them even really knowing it.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

At dinner last night w/ family. My one BIL (PO or whatever they call it now) commented on how he just noticed how high the Annointed number has gotten. His wife (pioneer) wondered why that was. My other SIL (also a pioneer) said it had something to do with the "generation thing."

What this conversation tells me is that:

a) most people "in the truth" have no idea what is going on

b) when they find out what is going on they have no idea why

c) even those who think they know why, don't know the correct reason why

d) the subject gets dropped pretty quickly because no one wants to think about it

I said that the Annointed are all wacked in the head. My other BIL (MS) corrected me saying,"only most of them, not all." I think he was going for the "save" because I said it in front of his kids.

Fun!

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

<<With all the above being taken into consideration, what should a Christian Witness of Jehovah do is the GB/FDS publishes a belief or teaching that is undeniably in opposition to Jehovah?>>

This already happened. The Society promoted creature worship (according to present "truth") right up till 1954.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

OTWO said: "The cognitive dissonance cannot stand such obvious contradictions ... would have to be introduced in stages."

That is an interesting point. I had noticed this in the explanation in the w08 2/15 when they changed their position about who "this generation" was. At first I thought it was a fascinating change. But then, as I researched it more and tried to look at the validity of their arguments, it became more apparent to me that this was a snow job of sorts.

The 2/15 Watchtower does exactly what you said within just a few paragraphs.

Page 23 par.10 acknowledges that in the past they thought it was worldly contemporaries.

Page 23 par.11 says, in part: "Since Jesus did not use negative qualifiers when speaking to them about 'this generation,' the apostles would no doubt have understood that they and their fellow disciples were to be part of the 'generation' that would not pass away "until all these things [would] occur."

Page 23 par.12, 13 argues that it was Jesus' disciples who would see ("draw certain conclusions when they saw") all these things, not the world. (Conveniently ignoring the fact that Jesus did not say that "this generation" would understand "these things," only that it 'would not pass away until all these things occur.') Par.13 completes the change: "So Jesus must have been referring to his disciples ..."

The movement in thought is interesting: First, this generation was the world (p.10) Next, 'the disciples would think they were part of it.' (par.11) Finally, 'its them and only them.' (par.13b)

Kind of like moving a box from one room in your house to another: First in one room, then transitioning (in the hallway), then finally in the new room. (The article also ignores the fact that the "box" used to be in this new room earlier.)

(A couple of other things the article ignores: "this generation" is mentioned in Mt 23:36, probably less than 2 hours before it is mentioned again in 24:36, or, less than ten minutes reading time apart for the reader of Matthew. Yet no explanation is given in Matthew for this (supposedly) complete change of meaning of the identical terms. Luke 21:31 - 36, contrasts "You" (the disciples), who hopefully keep "standing before the Son of man," whereas "this generation" eventually "passes away.")

Thus, the article employs subtle movement of thought coupled with selective use of unrelated ideas and non-use of pertinent facts.

(Another interesting thing with the above is the timing of the release of the "Faith In Action" DVDs which memorializes the WT leadership.)

• flipper
    flipper

What BREAKFAST of CHAMPIONS said is right on, I totally agree. The typical Jehovah's Witness, INCLUDING C.O.'s, D.O.'s, elders - anybody NOT on the GB or at the top of the WT society doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell's idea of what's going on inside the organization or what's motivating the GB and WT leaders to do what they do and how they make policy or new doctrine decisions.

I mean- think about it. Wrap your minds around this little tidbit- In years past there were always 12 governing body members . Now there are only 7. What do you think the reasons are for not replacing the 5 old guard that died ?? Consolidation of power by the GB 2.0 ? A friend on the board I have talked about that point with me , and I tended to agree that it's consolidation of power and control by the remaining younger GB members which prevents them from appointing any NEW GB members. Do you think a question like this ever pops up in rank & file JW's minds ? Not in the least. If it came down to just ONE GB member running the show- they STILL wouldn't question it. And that is one of the many reasons this cult is SO dangerous

• 00DAD
    00DAD

OTWO: So Flying Spaghetti Monster would have to be introduced in stages. Maybe some hints about the Bible pointing to prophecies about pirates as true worshippers. Then maybe putting drawings of spaghetti being served at the Last Supper in the Watchtower magazine. Later, somehow getting the wine of the Last Supper to more accurately be a "sauce" of some kind and explaining how pasta was sometimes served as unleavened "bread."

You are too funny!

I was of course being sarcastic but the way you explained how it could be introduced in stages almost makes it sound plausible. Either way, the point is that no matter what the GB (or whoever is really in control of this beast) publishes, the majority of the R&F will unquestioningly believe it, even if they can't understand it, explain it or even repeat it accurately because it makes no sense!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit