Do you know the story about Pink Floyd's first concert?

by compound complex 19 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

I'm listening to streaming audio from Hearts of Space, and Pink Floyd (new to me after all these years) is featured on the program "When Space Met Rock."

Their playing a concert began amidst beautiful, sunny weather - then came the storm ...

Were you there? Or have you read the story?

Please write what you know about them; their music is incredible.

Where have I been all my otherwise music-driven life?

Thanks.

CoCo

• cantleave
    cantleave

Bloody Hell CoCo, I can't believe you have just discovered them, that is awesome.

Pink Floyd have been a key part of my life since I was 11.

I have seen them live twice, the two best concerts I have ever attended.

The original line-up included Syd Barrett (RIP), a genius who succombed to mental illness (possible induced by the use of copious quantities of hallucinogenic drugs).

After Syd left Dave Gilmour Joined and it was his guitar playing combined with the poingnant and poetic lyrics of Roger Waters, the atmospheric, hanging chords played by Richard Wright (RIP) on keyboards and amazing live sets that brought them the status rock gods.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I had the chance to see them in '94(minus Roger Waters). Incredible show.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I've never seen them live, but I did hear about a show they did related to space. Don't think it was the same one, because I don't think it was the first. Anyway a program had been set up to show people space, and they just jammed---nothing planned---they just went with it. Which I thought was pretty amazing. It wasn't their own concert, they had been asked to provide the music.

Charlie Brown should be around soon.

NC

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, cantleave and Keyser, for that first-hand info.

I left the music field and conservatory to get baptized and pioneer, so I guess that's why there are huge gaps in my musical background. Having been a JW is no excuse, however, for being unacquainted with the gods of music. One of my profs said that the god of music is a jealous god, demanding much time and devotion.

I chose Jehovah ...

Thanks!

CoCo

Hope to return when a pc once again becomes available.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

I've been a fan of Pink Floyd for more than 30 years. Their music is amazing!

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, NC, for sharing.

The blurb I read said The Who was scheduled to play, but the storm became so severe after PF had miraculously gotten through their mesmerizing performance that the remainder of the concert was cancelled and The Who missed out.

CC

• ex360shipper
    ex360shipper

Their concert at Pompeii is available on dvd, maybe even youtube. Worth checking out.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, Bee!

CoCo

• Robdar
    Robdar

I was never aware of Pink Floyd (except for the song "Money" which, at the time, I thought sucked) until after I left the JWs. The first album I bought was their last album together, "The Final Cut" and I worked my way backwards through their catalog. Over the years, I have probably worn out 4 "Dark Side of the Moon" albums and finally bought the cd.

I saw Pink Floyd in, I believe, 1987 (I still havent recovered my hearing) without Roger Waters and they were great. I saw Roger Waters in 1996 without the band and he put on an awesome show. Of the two bands, Rogers put on the better concert. Still, David Gilmore and Roger Waters are generals in the rock and roll army and the band was spectacular during its hay day. It never seemed to be the same, although it was still very good, once Roger Waters left.

If you ever get the chance to see either Pink Floyd or Roger Waters in concert, do it. It is a mesmerizing trip.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit