Do you know the story about Pink Floyd's first concert?

by compound complex 19 Replies latest jw friends

• cofty
    cofty

Congratulations CoCo you have discovered a very rich seam of musical gold.

• Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Roger is the only one touring, and he has hinted that his latest Wall show might be his last ever. David Gilmour is in semi-retirement, and sometimes will make an appearance, but mostly sticks to his solo and post-Waters Pink Floyd work. I saw the Gilmour Floyd in 1994 and Roger Waters in 2000. Roger's show had more passion and there was more of a theatrical element to it. Pink Floyd had three different leaders all at different times, and fans can be found in three different camps. It's an ongoing debate within fan circles regarding which Floyd is the best. You have the Syd Barrett die-hards, but they represent only a fraction of the fan community and tend to be more of an indie stripe. Then you have the Roger Waters faction who feel that Pink Floyd started with Dark Side of the Moon and ended with The Wall (or The Final Cut, for the real Roger loyalists). Finally you have the Gilmour group who think that David was a huge part of the Floyd all along, and saved the Floyd with the last two albums. I find myself firmly in the Waters camp. Momentary Lapse of Reason to me was dreary and lame, and the Division Bell was a fraud. If you just got introduced to Pink Floyd, you'll find out soon which camp you belong to. Enjoy!

• JeffT
    JeffT

I'm not sure but I suspect the "space" concert refers to the live disk of Ummagumma which has live versions of "Astronomie Dominie", "Saucer full of Secrets" and "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun" I spent large chunks of college listening the the fourth cut on that album (I know I'm dating myself I owned it on vinyl) "Careful with that Axe Eugene" -- mostly with the lights and various chemical additives being passed around.

I regret that I never saw them live.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

My first Eargasm was to Dark Side of the Moon.

• JRK
    JRK

I saw them in '95 sans Rager Waters, it was still a great show. Momentary Lapse of Reason tour.

Here is an ancient song of theirs, with Syd:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frkbSLTwmQo&feature=player_embedded#!

JK

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Robdar, same here. I never even heard of PF until quite a while after I left the "Truth". I love most of their songs, and I wish that I would have had a chance to enjoy them while I was growing up. During my rebellious years when I was in my late 20's I really enjoyed their music as well as the movie "The Wall". It was quite an enlightening time for me, and Pink Floyd guided me on a few faaar awaaay journeys.

I bet being at one of Their concerts is quite an experience, and I am glad that you had a chance to see them!

CoCo, I am glad that you discovered their music. It is timeless. I bet that you could do some very creative writing while listening to them!

Hope everyone has a great day!!!

• iCeltic
    iCeltic

New to you? Been living under a rock? One of my all time favourite bands. So many masterpieces.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Pink Floyd are the very best. And to me, it doesn't get any better than this. It's long. Give it time. You won't regret it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLKiMbC6s2k&t=24s

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

CoCo,

When I was a teenager I used to hang around with some kids from the neighbourhood and we all owned motorcycles...the most popular was the Kawasaki 350, while mine was a Honda CB350 - 1972....On some afternoons we would meet up a one of the guy's home and the boys would all smoke pot - except for me because I was a good JW boy - and we would listen to the whole Dark Side Of The Moon Pink Floyd album...I guess some of that second hand smoke made me a little mellow, while all of my buddies would lie on the living room carpet soaking it all...One day the boy's mother came home early and she kicked us out of her house...in those days 18 year old boys still feared their parents! That was the end of our Pink Floyd experience in that house anyways....

• compound complex
    compound complex

Wonderful comments, friends of PF!

It's never too late for those of us living under a rock. Thanks!

Just now back online with my own ancient iMac and an ultra high speed connection ...

Hope this works!

Love,

CoCo Naut

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit