Is this going to be the undoing of the WTS?

by tootired2care 11 Replies latest jw friends

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

No doubt you probably recall all of the obligatory stuff bro and sister overzealous laid on you to provide to the elderly and disadvantaged; like meals (on wheels), yard care, help these ones pay for things and so forth. Just in the last two years I’ve seen a tremendous increase in caring for the burdens of others. In the congregation that I attend there is something on the order of 40% over the age of 50 and 20% kids. I’ve also been in other congregations over the last 12 years and seen very similar ratios, so given these numbers it’s obvious that the bulk of organization is arguably comprised of ones that are going to demand exponential amounts of care in the next decade.

It seems that now the teachings of the WTS (we’ll call them chickens are really coming home to roost). As many of the baby-boomers are no longer able to work they are becoming a huge added burden on the congregations both in terms of physical and financial care, since they have little to no retirement savings, and often children that won't help them. This added burden is no going to compound the stress of brothers of positions causing them to quit, which in turn will cause the many of the congregations to collapse under their own weight. I recall having to do this again and again and just think of all the stress and arguments it caused within my own household. It's one of the reasons I said enough is enough and stepped down.

In light of this I pose the following questions to you:

Is this going to be the proverbial straw that breaks the camel’s back of the WTS?

Did you have similar observations when you were in a JW congregation and were you bothered by having to clean up the WTS mess by being burdened by others who never prepared for tomorrow?

In retrospect does the teaching of Jesus at Matt 6:33 about never planning for tomorrow, now seem foolish and even irresponsible given this reality now facing the WTS and others who followed this teaching? Does God provide by burdening others?

• ziddina
    ziddina

Aw...

Blank first post...

It almost acts as if the thread's malfunctioned.

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

That is odd it doesn't show blank for me I even tried it in a different browser. Is it still blank after a refresh?

• ziddina
    ziddina

Aw, crud.

Not only can't I see the opening post, I can't see my own previous post, either....

• Scott77
    Scott77

No doubt you probably recall all of the obligatory stuff bro and sister overzealous laid on you to provide to the elderly and disadvantaged; like meals (on wheels), yard care, help these ones pay for things and so forth. Just in the last two years I’ve seen a tremendous increase in caring for the burdens of others. In the congregation that I attend there is something on the order of 40% over the age of 50 and 20% kids. I’ve also been in other congregations over the last 12 years and seen very similar ratios, so given these numbers it’s obvious that the bulk of organization is arguably comprised of ones that are going to demand exponential amounts of care in the next decade.

It seems that now the teachings of the WTS (we’ll call them chickens are really coming home to roost). As many of the baby-boomers are no longer able to work they are becoming a huge added burden on the congregations both in terms of physical and financial care, since they have little to no retirement savings, and often children that won't help them. This added burden is no going to compound the stress of brothers of positions causing them to quit, which in turn will cause the many of the congregations to collapse under their own weight. I recall having to do this again and again and just think of all the stress and arguments it caused within my own household. It's one of the reasons I said enough is enough and stepped down.

In light of this I pose the following questions to you:

Is this going to be the proverbial straw that breaks the camel’s back of the WTS?

Did you have similar observations when you were in a JW congregation and were you bothered by having to clean up the WTS mess by being burdened by others who never prepared for tomorrow?

In retrospect does the teaching of Jesus at Matt 6:33 about never planning for tomorrow, now seem foolish and even irresponsible given this reality now facing the WTS and others who followed this teaching? Does God provide by burdening others?

tootired2care

I am reposting it just in case you guys and gals are able to read it.

• Scott77
    Scott77

tootired2care,

I think, older people over 65 years might benefit from Social Security payments based on on their age and income. This includes housing which they are eligible based on needs. Other than that, I doubt the watchtower will encourage material support to the needy ones given its poor history of focusing on the spirituality above everything else. To the extent that the WTS is a greedy organisation, I doubt it will overburden local elders with such donations when in fact, it also competes for the same donations.

Scott77

• oppostate
    oppostate

It's hard to say... I think it may put more stress on those with a Christian conscience to help needy ones.

But I can also see the uber-pioneers and better-than-thou's pulling a Korban phrase and excusing themselves from helping those in need because they are too busy in service to be able to lend their time and effort.

The folks who won't help are those who'd probably end up as elders and their wives. Those who are just too meek and too submissive are those who'll most likely end up taking care of the elderly's needs out of Christian love and kindness, with the added hounding reminders of the "elder" class.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Matthew 6:33, about leaving financial matters to God and seeking first his tyranny, is further proof that the whole of Christianity is designed to enslave the whole Gentile population. When you seek first the tyranny and do little or nothing to secure your own future, you (and your children) are likely to end up destitute. You can find plenty of examples of this at your local Kingdumb Hell--where people apply that verse literally, pious-sneer their lives away, and then reach roughly age 65 or 70 with major health issues and nothing to fall back on. They become a burden for their children and/or the congregation, which creates more financial stress. Before long, they end up on welfare and food stamps, adding more burden to the taxpayer (in addition to the religious burden).

What also happens is, once the congregation starts assisting them, they are bound to the religion. If they see something wrong with the Bible, or the religion, they can be cut off. This is often used against witlesses that have 50 or more years' service behind them, ensuring that they will continue pious-sneering right up until they die. They become enslaved to the religion, putting all their time into it that they should be using to enjoy what's left of their lives on earth before dying. Often, they donate wads of money too--I myself have seen elderly people, struggling to pay their bills, stuffing wads of $20 bills into the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund boxes like they are nothing. (In addition to people pious-sneering well into their 80s with major health problems).

Anyone that doesn't think this scripture is designed to help enslave Christians to their religions might do well to research the subject--you can probably find loads of other examples online. And, if you attend a church or Kingdumb Hell on a regular basis, you might notice who is always there, always doing more at great hardship to themselves, who is destitute because they did not seek careers in their working lives or they donated too much to the religion, and who are the ones always stuffing contribution boxes or collection plates with high-denomination notes. They may be "fake-happy", but their lives are almost always one-dimensional. Sometimes the congregation helps them out, but always with ropes and titanium cables attached.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I don't think there has been a culture of looking after the needs of the elderly in the congregations. There has been talk but no action. I remember an old girl DAing in her late 70's simply because she said there was no love for her when she needed it the most, and that was nearly 20 years ago.

I agree that the age demographic is changing as more young people leave and / or never get baptised the existing faithful ones are getting older. My last congregation was an exception to this however, we had 30 children under the age of 18, many who were 3rd generation JW, with large family networks. I would be surprised if the attrition rate were as high as in other congregations. They seem happy to go along with the religion, albeit on their own terms.

• Conan The Barbarian
    Conan The Barbarian

The WTS won't be monitarily impacted by the aging of the faithful, except if their donations diminish. The WTS will say that any needs have to be handled first, by their family. So, if you are unprepared for your retirement and aging due to listening to their direction of not going to College, or improving your life enough so you are prepared for the last phase, your relatives can foot the bill and exert the effort. In addition, most were told not to worry about these things since "Armagedddon is right around the corner", oh wait a minute, the WTS never really said that, and you misunderstood what they were saying, Sorry! Once the family avenue has been exhausted, the next in line is the State. They will tell you to collect whatever you are entitled to from the State. Not bad advice I must say. Then after these areas have been totally exploited, the congo assistance will kick in, as responded to by the members that are willing to help. Don't forget to tell the Elders what your needs are!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit