What is the big Deal !!!

by GeneBean 17 Replies latest jw friends

• JAVA
    JAVA

ianao,

I understand that, but I was referring to someone in GeneBean's shoes. He has admitted that he became weak and slept with another woman.

Using this argument we need to shun Solomon, David, Abraham, and many other folks found in scripture. I sure wish God would make up his mind; it's okay for Abraham, but lets give GeneBean the shaft. Paul said this, but Jesus said and did that. About the only folks Jesus treated with contempt were some of the religious leaders of his day. I think Brooklyn has more to fear from Jesus, than Gene has to fear from Brooklyn.

JAVA, counting time at the Coffee Shop

Edited by - JAVA on 18 January 2001 7:14:13

• GeneBean
    GeneBean

Im not asking my witness friends over for a Superbowl party, But at least say hi!!My neighbor is a witness and he wont even look at me.I think thats a lot of crap.Jehovah loves ones he disaplends so whats wrong with being nice.Should i talk to the people on this web site since im DF???????????
    Gene

• joel
    joel

After reading the previous comments...here are some of my thoughts.

When I would serve on committees...the most important factor(by the brothers not on power-trips) was...was the person repentant.
    If they were judged as unrepenant...then they were a threat to others...so were disfellowshipped...protecting others by not allowing them to talk to them.
    The problem was...what was repentant to one elder...was not necessarily repentant to another brother.
    For instance...a brother could be VERY repentant at the hearing...but...he was not the one that came forward about the wrongdoing...it was someone else...so...that was what some would dwell on...and DF the person(this type of confusion is one reason I stepped aside).
    So really...only trouble-makin' sinners should be DFd...which is why some of the people mentioned(David-Solomon) would not need to be DFd............nor would Jesus...or myself for that matter...have any problem associatin' with those type of people...to the contrary...since we are all sinners...the best kind of people to be around...are those who recognize that they are...and try not to live in it!

Pax,
    joel

• waiting
    waiting

Hey Gene,

I've been a jw for 30 yrs, in-active for almost a year, not df'd or da'd. With that said, nice to meet you, Gene. All kinds of jw's come here. Active, non, studying with, df'd, da'd, some married to jw's. The only people who seem to be offended by us communicating freely with each other is closed minded jw's.

I was one of those, so I know how they think, generally speaking. If a friend was df'd, then we were told that we were "disciplining" the sinner to return to the congregation - so they could have life. We were doing them a favor by shunning them, not even looking at them - as you've experienced. This included our own families - but I wasn't a stickler with my df'd child, thank goodness.

The only thing that could be worse for you would be to be da'd. Then you would be considered as belonging to the Evil Slave Class. No discipline (shunning) would be enough to turn you around in the opinion of jw's. Pretty much cursed, damned and lost from God in their secure knowledge of the right and wrong of the universe.

This is the reality of those who leave the WTBTS - unless they can slip quietly away.

You are welcome here - one way or another, we know how you feel. We've been there, or know we'll have to experience it for ourselves to a lesser or greater degree.

waiting

• JAVA
    JAVA

Joel:

Some Witnesses play the "I'm so sorry" game better than others when going before a committee. Others can be treated differently because of connections in the congregation (e.g., an elder's son or daughter). Add to this the elders who are into power trips, and hungry for their first kill.

Congregations have different personalities, and the elders in one location have dispositions effecting outcomes different from another congregation. The rank-n-file JWs are caught in the middle, most without a glue when before a committee (thinking it's Jehovah's organization, and fairness is uniform).

Yes, my examples of Solomon, David, and Abraham being shunned are questionable but when you think about this topic, it depends on the committee, and how well they played the "I'm so sorry" game, and the influence they have. I know some committees who would shun Jesus for wearing a beard.

JAVA, counting time at the Coffee Shop

Edited by - JAVA on 18 January 2001 7:46:30

• thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

I agree with all the posts here with the exception of one statement.

The only thing that could be worse for you would be to be da'd. Then you would be considered as belonging to the Evil Slave Class. No discipline (shunning) would be enough to turn you around in the opinion of jw's. Pretty much cursed, damned and lost from God in their secure knowledge of the right and wrong of the universe.

I do have to give the elder's some credit Waiting. They did call me about a month and a half after I da'd myself and wanted to talk to me. I refused. But in light of Java's post, this could just be different personalities, in different congregations.
    TW

• waiting
    waiting

Hey TW,

Perhaps you're right about different personalities, etc., in the congregations. But by the very definition that the WTBTS gives to the word "apostate" - that is the Evil Slave Class.

Perhaps wrongly, I was dumping those that are officially disassociated as apostates. I don't get into the fine lines of the coloring of words as the WTBTS does.

I was under the impression that the WTBTS teaches that those persons who disassociate themselves are deemed apostates - which they view as anyone going against God or the WTBTS. But apostates can, and do, sometimes go back to the organization - so I supposed they're considered only quasi-evil slave class.

As for individuals, then personalities come into play, as with your local elders. Our local elders came to visit my husband on xmas day. He was making a Year's Text for another congregation. We don't celebrate, etc. In the goodness of their theocratic hearts, however, they still felt the spirit move them to ask my husband if he "considered himself as still one of Jehovah's Witnesses." Thankfully my husband replied that "Yes, I do - I just don't want to come and listen to lying elders." He's so tackful, don't you think?

Guess our elders have a different personality than your elders.

waiting

• RR
    RR

Hey Joel, no offense, but that peace sign logo on the bottom of your postings really messes up the boards sizing.

"People in glass houses, shouldn't throw stones"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit