What is the big Deal !!!

by GeneBean 17 Replies latest jw friends

• GeneBean
    GeneBean

Hello my name is Gene, i have been Disfellowshiped for two weeks.Why is it so wrong for brothers and sisters not to talk to me??Im not apostate,ive never disrupted the congergation.My brothers an elder and i dont want to tell him or my family.
    WHATS THE BIG BIG DEAL????????????

• claudia
    claudia

Gene, can you rephrase your post for me? Did you mean its NOT wrong for them to talk to you?

• Roamingfeline
    Roamingfeline

Hi Gene,

Can you give us a bit more rounded info? If you're a JW, you know the rules. DF'd person's are not spoken to or greeted until reinstated. BTW, welcome to the forum, Gene.

RCat

• TR
    TR

Hey ianao,

look what's happening to Gene.

TR

P.S. howdy, Gene!

• Gozz
    Gozz

Gene,
    this is most probably related to what you have on the DISFELLOWSHIPPED thread. As you may know, disfellowshipping is invoked for a number of reasons, sometimes reasons not directly connected with the 'wrongdoing'. Brothers and Sisters may refuse to talk to you in public, and depending on your current attitude, some may talk to you in private, or flash you a smile or wave to you if you're trying to bear the situation with grace. Y'know, anyone talking or associating with you in public will be seen as taking sides with you against the elders, and that may be construed as rebellion.

• thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

Hey everybody,
    Gene posted on another thread explaining his circumstance. Can't remember which one. It explains a lot.
    TW

• JAVA
    JAVA

Gene,

The Society uses disfellowshipping (shunning) to control their followers. Nearly all high-control religions use some form of shunning, but the Society goes beyond many of them with their extreme use of this practice. It has very little to do with "keeping the congregation clean," and more to do with using fear to keep the flock in line. Fear of loosing family and life-long friends, and not being treated as human works wonders if your social network is 99.9% JWs. This tends to keep followers in the field selling magazines for this multi-million dollar printing firm with a god complex. That my friend, . . . is "THE BIG BIG DEAL."

JAVA, counting time at the Coffee Shop

Edited by - JAVA on 17 January 2001 11:50:55

• ianao
    ianao

Hello JAVA.

Good point. Now, what do you have to say to someone who pops open the Bible, points you to scripture in the Gospels, and in a couple of the Epistles shows you where "you should not associate with..." fornicatos, adulterers, etc. etc?

• JAVA
    JAVA

ianao,

"Don't if you don't want to." Of course that means one should not associate with many members in each congregation, but that's another topic. Just because a person exits the Tower, doesn't in itself mean they are adulterers, etc. Jesus seemed to enjoy the company of many people some gospel writers had a problem with; thus I wonder about the counsel of Paul and others who were products of their time, but out of step with the actions of Jesus.

When one thinks about it, there are several writers of the Bible that would be, well . . . you know, bad associations.

JAVA, counting time at the Coffee Shop

Edited by - JAVA on 17 January 2001 16:14:1

• ianao
    ianao

He Java.

Just because a person exits the Tower, doesn't in itself mean they are adulterers, etc.

I understand that, but I was referring to someone in GeneBean's shoes. He has admitted that he became weak and slept with another woman. According to some, he may have been reproved and not DF'd. But I have read about SOME elders who would only look at the fact that they broke a law and 'convict' them on the basis of them knowing better in the first place.

The common JW who keeps in line never has a JC hearing, and never knows about these things and how they operate behind the scenes. According to that JW, putting all trust in the elders, he automatically assumes that the 'convicted' is indeed guilty, and in his eyes has a scriptural reason to 'shun' him because he is considered an unrepentant sinner. Never hearing the victim's side (in most cases) because he has been ordered NOT to talk to them.

Hey, wait a minute. I think I just answered my original question. LOL. There is nothing you can say to them. They will ONLY KNOW if they are ever in the situation.

Jesus seemed to enjoy the company of many people some gospel writers had a problem with; thus I wonder about the counsel of Paul and others who were products of their time, but out of step with the actions of Jesus.

I too find this interesting. I have always wondered about such issues myself. Surely the commentary is in there for a reason though. Ahh, the big mystery.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit