DISCUSSION WITH A JW; YOUR INPUT PLEASE...

by Mary 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary

Ok, here is the latest conversation we've had. I took some of your suggestions and incorporated them into my reply. His comments are in the boxes:

"....Again the WTS is using the term "prophet" in the basic sense of a spokesman. ALL Christians when they speak or share from God's word are "prophets" in that basic sense...."

Sorry Paul, but the WTS does NOT get to pick and choose how they want to use a word, apply it to themselves without using the full meaning. A "prophet" is someone "...gifted at expositing divine truth" (Stongs) or "..an interpreter or forth-teller of the divine will" (NAS Exhaustive Concordance). Jehovah's Witnesses (most notably the leaders) have done this very thing from it's inception in the 1870's.

The Organization most definitely has said they were told directly from Jehovah, they HAVE said they speak for Jehovah, they HAVE claimed inspiration. They call themselves the Ezekiel class, the Jeremiah class etc. over the years, paralleling themselves with the prophets mentioned in the bible.

I'm not sure how old you are, but you should try checking the inside cover of the Awake! magazines before they changed the "Generation of 1914" doctrine in November 1995. Before that it specifically stated that:

"...Most important, this magazine builds confidence in the Creator's promise of a peaceful and secure world before the generation that saw the events of 1914 passes away."

Who did they say made this promise? It says right there in black and white that Jehovah made the promise. If that's not 'speaking for God', I don't know what is. And after that infamous WT article that wiped out a decades old belief with the stroke of a pen, they went and replaced it (apparently hoping noone would notice) with the following:

"...Most important, this magazine builds confidence in the Creator's promise of a peaceful and secure world that is about to replace the present wicked, lawless system of things."

That says it all.

"...The term is NOT being used to describe a "Prophet" who has direct inspiration to reveal NEW things directly from God. This is consistently taught and we, Jehovah's Witnesses, know this and do NOT look at any man as a "Prophet" in the sense Mr Rhodes used it and you are seeing it...."

Surely you jest. Witnesses MUST view the 'Faithful and Discreet Slave' as getting all their info directly from Jehovah and Jesus. They teach that to question anything they say is paramount to "apostasy". I'm sure you are aware of this, but if you are not, please let me know and I will provide you with countless quotes from their literature showing that what I say is true.

"...Note; that is what ALL Christians do. "proclaim the divine message, urge others to believe in Christ", etc."

Um, Christians of all denominations do this and have been doing it for the past 2,000 years. Are you suggesting that all Christians of all denominations are 'prophets in the basic sense'?

"...Prophetic Inspiration and being filled with the Spirit ( to use a common expression) do NOT mean the same thing."

Then again, I ask you: If your leaders have no special "gift" of prophecy, then WHY are the rank and file Witnesses being told that they have to accept the "Slave's" version of what "truth" is, on pain of being disfellowshipped for apostasy if they state that they do not agree with what is being taught? Here's a good example:

The WTS has changed what "this generation" means several times (trying to justify it as being "new light" or "present truth"---something that is found nowhere in the bible). For decades they taught that the generation of 1914 would still be alive to see The End. It's now presently being taught that Jesus was "evidently" talking about an 'overlapping generation' (another laughable idea that is also found nowhere in the bible).

If I were a Witness and declared 20 years ago that I didn't believe the Generation of 1914 would be the ones to see The End, I would have been disfellowshipped for going against "the faithful and discreet slave", even though they were dead wrong. They change their doctrines back and forth back and forth, never with an apology to those who based many life decisions on what they were told, but with the arrogant attitude "well, we've changed it, too bad, just accept it and don't whine about it."

"...Being guided by God's spirit, which we should all pray for as we read and medicate on His word, is different than being inspired to Prophecy or foretell the future or give NEW Revelations not found in Scripture. We don't claim that."

So tell me Paul: How can someone have God's Holy Spirit on them, call themselves 'prophets' (even in the basic sense as you are trying to claim), tell people that The End is right around the corner for the past 130 years, print countless books and magazine that in fact, DO try to predict the future, but claim you don't call yourselves "prophets"? It's fairly obvious that the Organization is trying to have their cake and eat it too: 'We don't officially call ourselves prophets, but you have to treat us like we are.'

"...It is a created argument used by those who do not care what we say but wish to twist our words, so they can claim we are a false prophet."

Sorry to burst your bubble Paul, but you ARE, by biblical definition, 'false prophets'. Deuteronomy 18: 20-22 describes a false prophet this way:

"...However, the prophet who presumes to speak in my name a word that I have not commanded him to speak or who speaks in the name of other gods, that prophet must die. And in case you should say in your heart: "How shall we know the word that Jehovah has not spoken?" when the prophet speaks in the name of Jehovah and the word does not occur or come true that is the word that Jehovah did not speak. With presumptuousness the prophet spoke it. You must not get frightened at him."

It's really quite simple: If someone predicts an event and claims that they are speaking for God, either the event will come true (proving that they are a true prophet), or it will not come true (proving that they are a false prophet), end of story. There is no allowance in the scriptures for anything else, no matter how well meaning someone may be.

Yet this is exactly what the Watchtower Society has tried to do. While admitting that they have "made mistakes" regarding future events, they gloss over what turned out to be "false predictions" by claiming `well, we've never lost faith or ceased to be watchful'----as though that some how excuses them for "speaking presumptuously". This concept is completely foreign in the scriptures as Jehovah has never said: "well, as long as you don't lose faith, I'll overlook your false prophesying". No, it simply says that if a prediction does not come true, then whoever predicted it constitutes a "false prophet."

If you like, I can provide you with countless examples of when the Organization predicted that something was going to happen and it didn't.

That's all I'm going to write tonight Paul. Tomorrow I will provide you with several quotes showing that the Organization has made specific predictions for Armageddon on certain dates.

• cantleave
  • blond-moment
    blond-moment

Well done.

• Mary
    Mary

Apparently he didn't like what I said because his response to me was deleted by Amazon. Tsk, tsk, tsk......That's certainly not showing the Christian spirit......

• blond-moment
    blond-moment

Yup, they shut down and run away. I did it myself. If someone made a good but critical point, I would just shut down. "they just don't understand"

Now I know, they understood perfectly well, *I* was the one who didn't understand.

Facing the reality of this is scary. I dealt with that myself. Seeds get planted however. I can honestly look back and see all the seeds that had been planted over the years. My research during my own wake up, really did fill in a lot of the blanks I had. It was like...no wonder I could never get this or that point, there was nothing wrong with me (which of course, I always thought there was something wrong with me, or that I wasn't one Jehovah wanted), but it turns out I couldn't get it, because it is insane. But when things first start to click, that this isn't God's organization, and holy crap the apostates are right, it does feel a little bit like "what planet am I on?" It's scary.

• nugget
    nugget

Whenever an organisation takes on the mantle of a prophet then they also take on a level of responsibility. Whether someone claims to be inspried by God or merely to repeat Gods words then they also have a responsibility to be accurate. In the Bible does it not condemn those who claim to speak for God but speak untruth. Therefore misinterpreting Gods words is actually a very serious act. If they restricted themselves to telling what was in the Bible then there would be no issue however when they misinterpret the Bible they have taught an untruth whilst at the same time claiming to speak from God therefore they have made God into a liar.

• Celestial
    Celestial
    Apparently he didn't like what I said because his response to me was deleted by Amazon. Tsk, tsk, tsk......That's certainly not showing the Christian spirit......

You won't come across a person in good standing in the Christian congregation with their spirituality intact that communicates with individuals that are aggressively opposed to Jehovah's Witnesses. You never know what you may here from self-proclaimed Witnesses on the internet, as they're not walking by spirit and are more likely to be inclined by works of the flesh. If you hit a bad nerve that results in a “fit of anger” I wouldn't be surprised.

Now the works of the flesh are manifest, and they are fornication, uncleanness, loose conduct, idolatry, practice of spiritism, enmities, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, contentions, divisions, sects, envies, drunken bouts, revelries, and things like these. As to these things I am forewarning you, the same way as I did forewarn you, that those who practice such things will not inherit God’s kingdom.

On the other hand, the fruitage of the spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faith, mildness, self-control. Against such things there is no law. Moreover, those who belong to Christ Jesus impaled the flesh together with its passions and desires.

If we are living by spirit, let us go on walking orderly also by spirit. Let us not become egotistical, stirring up competition with one another, envying one another. Galatians 5:22-26

Sorry to burst your bubble Paul, but you ARE, by biblical definition, 'false prophets'. Deuteronomy 18: 20-22 describes a false prophet this way:
    "...However, the prophet who presumes to speak in my name a word that I have not commanded him to speak or who speaks in the name of other gods, that prophet must die. And in case you should say in your heart: "How shall we know the word that Jehovah has not spoken?" when the prophet speaks in the name of Jehovah and the word does not occur or come true that is the word that Jehovah did not speak. With presumptuousness the prophet spoke it. You must not get frightened at him."

You may want to examine the Christian Greek scriptures rather than just the law of Moses for an accurate understanding of a false prophet, false teacher.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Covenant

Christianity teaches that Jesus is the mediator of the New Covenant. His famous Sermon on the Mount representing Mount Zion (pictured here) is considered by many scholars to be the antitype of the proclamation of the comparatively Old Covenant by its mediator Moses from Mount Sinai.

The Early Christians, in considering the Old Testament, needed to decide what its role and purpose for them was, given that Christian revelation and the New Covenant replaced it and many specific Biblical requirements in books like Leviticus and Deuteronomy were no longer to be followed. For example, what to do with alcoholic sons and what defines a false prophet and the actions that should be taken.

“In case a man happens to have a son who is stubborn and rebellious, he not listening to the voice of his father or the voice of his mother, and they have corrected him but he will not listen to them, his father and his mother must also take hold of him and bring him out to the older men of his city and to the gate of his place, and they must say to the older men of his city, ‘This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious; he is not listening to our voice, being a glutton and a drunkard.’ Then all the men of his city must pelt him with stones, and he must die. So you must clear away what is bad from your midst, and all Israel will hear and indeed become afraid. Deuteronomy 21:18-21

Compare Matthew 7:15-20, 2 Peter 2:1 and 1 John 4:1 for a clear definition of a false prophet in the context of Christianity. Matthew 7:15-20 identifies a person’s motives and actions: “Really, then, by their fruits you will recognize those [men].”

I may not be in good standing, but I don't relate to the lot in life of virulent opposers that ridicule and attempt to criminalize Jehovah's Witnesses like it's a contact sport. Most of these militant opposers are strictly materialists, completely disconnected from the slightest notion of spirituality.

“In the last time there will be ridiculers, proceeding according to their own desires for ungodly things.” These are the ones that make separations, animalistic [men], not having spirituality. Jude 18, 19

The object of a person's faith and devotion isn't the men in Brooklyn, NY or apostate hangups on trivial matters that can be overlooked. Jehovah actively sustains a person's faith. That's what I remember anyway.

• TimothyT
    TimothyT

Jesus fulfilled the prophets. In essence he was the last one, therefore there be no need for any more.

Jesus is now the mediator and only means to salvation (John 14:6, 1 Timothy 2:5). Nothing more is needed. If the JWs teach that this arrangement has changed, which they do then they are calling the inspired writers of the bible liars, whilst also chnaging Gods arrangement. Dangerous ground. Yet you cant point this out to them because in general they are blinded by mens teachings.

Timmy xx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit