Recipe book celebrity, beautiful Sandra Lee, brought up a JW. She talks about her "harrowing" childhood in Mar. 25th PARADE Magazine

by AndersonsInfo 17 Replies latest jw friends

• steve2
    steve2

"her mother-twice divorced, mentally unstable, and addicted to prescription drugs-was unable to cope.

Food stamps and welfare payments weren't enough to keep the pantry stocked"
    Sounds like the perfect candidate for becoming a JW

All too typical: The "type" of people who are attracted to the Watchtower's loony message join up with their own baggage, loaded down with assorted disorders and hang-ups already in place. Add the Watchtower's simplistic, pressure-cooker judgemental outlook and you have an upbringing made in hell.

This is consistent with my observation/hypothesis that the Watchtower doesn't create mental illness but 'simply' attracts people who are already mentally ill and then gives them good reason to remain mentally ill.

For those of us who had JW parents who were loving and accepting of their children - as my JW parents were - it makes me all the more appreciative of them. Yet, I also know from the congregations I grew up in that the opposite was the norm among far too many JW parents and their hapless children.

• james_woods
    james_woods

It might be worth noticing that the gut instinct of Sandra Lee was to get away from her disfunctional mother, get away from the JWs, and to take care of her siblings when nobody else would.

Looks like nobody in the JW community took care of any of them.

• rebel8
    rebel8

hmm I didn't know she had been a dub.

She has spoken of her mom going out to get milk and never coming back, and having to feed her siblings with little food, which sparked her creativity for cooking. (I'm just repeating the gist of what she said about herself, no comment on the queen of Kwanzaa Cake. I mean, I loooove corn nuts but not on cake! Ok that was a comment.)

Publicity about jwism is the best prevention tool there is. I'm glad she spoke up.

I scanned the article & don't see any other mention of it except for the remark about bdays and holidays being verboten.

• ziddina
    ziddina

We get the "Parade" magazine out here in Denver, Colorado, too....

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Ohio, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram always has it in their Sunday inserts, too.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I don't think she's much of a cook, but I have a lot of respect for her entrepreneurial spirit. And what's wrong with being pretty and having a high-powered boyfriend?

I don't think that the average person cares whether or not she's married to Cuomo, it's just control freaks and religious leaders who will make a fuss about it if he runs for higher office.

• Bubblegum Apotheosis
    Bubblegum Apotheosis

@steve The message rings true, for a long list of crazy men and women who fill the seats of the Kingdom Halls. What the W.T.S. does to M.S. and Elders, is woefully inadaquate, creating a pressure cooker of personal, family and congregation problems waiting to blow up! The C.O.s and D.O.s are completely lost in "Wonderland", is it any wonder it has not imploded yet? If a person want's to put on weight, age ten years, become a servant or elder!

@Jameswood Where JWs in your day, quick to beg off from taking care of their family (Father, Mother, Siblings) in order to pursue the guiding light of the WTS? Corban is now common, and wordly people will come to help with JW parents, while their elder and pioneer kids shun them. I don't get it!

• rebel8
    rebel8

I don't think that the average person cares whether or not she's married to Cuomo, it's just control freaks and religious leaders who will make a fuss about it if he runs for higher office.

Right. I don't think I've ever heard even one negative comment about them not being married in the NY press or elsewhere here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit