Recipe book celebrity, beautiful Sandra Lee, brought up a JW. She talks about her "harrowing" childhood in Mar. 25th PARADE Magazine

by AndersonsInfo 17 Replies latest jw friends

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

Found in the Sunday newspaper supplement, PARADE, March 25, 2012, is an article, "WHAT WILL Sandra Lee THINK OF NEXT?" See page 10 of the PARADE magazine. In the article it states:

"She doesn't talk a lot about her harrowing childhood, though she wrote about it in her 2007 memoir, Made From Scratch. Lee revealed that she was largely responsible during her tween and teen years for her four younger siblings, because her mother-twice divorced, mentally unstable, and addicted to prescription drugs-was unable to cope. Food stamps and welfare payments weren't enough to keep the pantry stocked. And because her mother had become a Jehovah's Witness, birthday and holiday celebrations were verboten.

"It's really easy to figure out why I love what I love, the holidays and food," says Lee. 'I know the difference between having them and not having them.' She says she doesn't know where her mother is today: 'I believe she's still alive. I haven't had contact with her since a few days before my 16th birthday.'"

Who is Sandra Lee? See http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tim-graham/2012/03/26/cuomo-gal-pal-hailed-parade-magazine

"Gov. Andrew Cuomo is already being buzzed about as presidential timber for 2016, and his live-in gal pal Sandra Lee made the cover of the national Sunday newspaper supplement Parade. The unbylined cover story tries to cast her as very traditional, watching old reruns of the Lawrence Welk show and getting dissed by chef Anthony Bourdain as the "frightening hell spawn of Kathie Lee and Betty Crocker."

There's lots of euphemisms for the shacking up. The subheadline read: "With her first housewares line, her charity work for children, and a high-profile relationship, the lifestyle expert has plenty on her plate." She calls Cuomo her "beloved," they write. Just not her husband.

They're two lovable workaholics, writes Parade:

Lee—who has already completed her next two cookbooks and the outline for a novel—says her busy schedule dovetails well with Governor Cuomo’s. “I can’t help it; I work,” she says. “I have a sweetheart who’s the same way. All through Christmas he was doing the budget, and we worked on our different projects.” They talk about “all the important issues,” she says, but as the First Girlfriend, she has by choice had a limited public role. Among her rare semi-official appearances: attending Cuomo’s 2010 swearing-in; marching alongside him in New York City’s gay pride parade last June, right after he signed a bill legalizing same-sex marriage in the state (one of Lee’s brothers is gay, and she favored the legislation); and joining him to greet New Yorkers at a New Year’s Day open house at the governor’s mansion in Albany. (A request to interview Cuomo received no response from his office.)

Her biggest challenge could be what happens should the well-respected governor attempt to take his political career to the national level. There may be issues with her corporate relationships and whether her TV time counts as commercials for him, though the couple’s unmarried status might be more of a hurdle. Says veteran political columnist Jonathan Alter, of Bloomberg View and MSNBC, “Her independent career is no impediment nowadays. In fact, voters would like it — as long as they’re hitched.”

After they relate that the shacking-up couple "often go to church" on Sundays and quip that Cuomo's teenaged daughters with Kara Kennedy are Lee's "semi-homemade daughters," that's when they tell of Lee watching Lawrence Welk reruns."

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

What state is the newspaper from? I would love to buy a copy. I never knew that she was previously a JW. I see she has a book out too, which I didn't even realize. I have been giving "I'm perfect, your Doomed" out as gifts, and I would love to now add a book from her to my gift list!

Thank you for letting people know about the article! Now I am off to read the rest of your post to see the details-lol I was just so excited because I LOVE her and her recipes!

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

"her mother-twice divorced, mentally unstable, and addicted to prescription drugs-was unable to cope. Food stamps and welfare payments weren't enough to keep the pantry stocked"

Sounds like the perfect candidate for becoming a JW

• Free!!
    Free!!

WOW!! had no idea about this.. thanks for sharing.. now i like her even more!

:)

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

ohiocowboy: I live in South Central Tennessee and a copy of the PARADE comes with our local newspaper each Sunday. The entire article can be found at http://www.parade.com/celebrity/celebrity-parade/2012/03/25-sandra-lee.html. Maybe at this site, there might be a list of states where the PARADE is available. (I didn't take the time to look.) If you can't find a copy containing the Sandra Lee story, send me a PM with mailing particulars and I will send you ours.

Barbara

• Dagney
    Dagney

Interesting.

Good going mom.

• VIII
    VIII

I read this yesterday in Parade and then googled her name. There are numerous stories on her and the Govenor. None talk about her being a JW. That is in her book apparently. I'd never heard of her. I looked at some of her recipes and they sound vile.

When I read the description of her Mom, I was picturing any number of Sisters from the congregation.

At least she escaped and made something of her life.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Well, it sounds like the JW side of this was perhaps partially the problem, but the prescription drugs and the deadbeat mom were the real problem.

BTW - she is pretty (in a certain backwards style) - but Tony Bourdain was right -

A hideous example of the cooking art.

But, it is good to see she escaped it all and improved herself.

• talesin
    talesin

I read her book a couple of years ago. It's a good read.

tal

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

they never are good stories are they? It seems there's always an escape factor to it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit