Really random... wisdom teeth

by ilikecheese 20 Replies latest jw friends

• ilikecheese
    ilikecheese

I'm kind of freaking out because I'm getting all four of my wisdom teeth pulled in a few weeks. Two of them are completely impacted, and one is partially impacted. Fortunately, they're not oddly aligned. They're straight, just stupid. So at least it shouldn't a complicated surgery. I think they'll just need to open up the gums and pull, instead of breaking them up and taking out the pieces.

I'm kind of going to try to just take the prescription ibuprofen they'll give me because most of my friends said that the pain pills (my oral surgeon also gives Vicodin) they were given either made them vomit, almost vomit, or just feel completely dizzy and out of it. Those people said they would have rather had more pain than those symptoms. Plus I never take anything ever, so I think my body could maybe have a weird reaction. I have a few friends who couldn't use the pain pills out of necessity, (they weren't prescribed, they had to watch their kid, they had to be back at work the next day, etc.) and they said that the pain wasn't so bad that it was unbearable or anything. They just took Tylenol, Advil, or what have you.

I'm trying to get as many stories as I can from people who've had theirs pulled. I know it's not going to make any difference haha, but it eases my mind a bit. How bad did you guys have it? Did it feel like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre just happened in your mouth? Or were you as high as Mary Poppins the whole time? Did prescription strength normal type pills work?

• St George of England
    St George of England

Many years ago I took my wife to the dentist, she had to have all four wisdom teeth out.

I sat in the hot, humid waiting room seeing people go in and out, the noise of the air drill, children crying.

When my wife came out she took one look at me and said "We need to get you home!"

She took some Paracetamol and was back at work next day. She had been worried prior to this but said it was something of an anti-climax.

George

• blond-moment
    blond-moment

I had 3 pulled at once, (4th was pulled earlier), like you have been told, the after pain hurts, but is bearable (and no, I am not some superhuman pain freak, I'm pretty much a wimp)

Most you will talk to will not describe "texas chainsaw massacre" (that made me laugh) I had them pulled in the morning, went home and slept. I did ge the prescription for pain meds, but didn't use them.

To be honest, the fear and anticipation, and wild ideas I had before they were pulled, were much worse than the after.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

I had 3 pulled at once. Had to have stitches etc. I too went to work next day, two black eyes and mildly swollen neck but not too bad. The attention was lovely!

Third day was agony and my jaw locked completely. The swelling continued and I was so ill I could not even keep water down. Vomiting was excruciatingly painful. I vegetated and dribbled for about 3 days.

It took a good week for me to feel human again and for my jaw to start to release. I lost over 10 pounds in weight altogether.

I hope your extractions go better than mine.

Good Luck

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Best not mention Marathon Man, then.

I had all 4 wisdom teeth out at once - partially impacted/growing in odd directions. If you're a wimp (like I was), take all the drugs they offer. I was happy to sleep through the experience and afterward, Ibuprofen was my regular friend - helped with the constant throbbing. Had to sleep semi-upright for a day or two until my gums stopped oozing. Had stitches. Despite the initial discomfort, I'm glad those teeth are gone - don't miss them.

All the best.

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

I had all four surgically removed at one time; they were fully formed and completely impacted.

I don't remember what pain meds I took but they didn't make me sick if I ate something first; usually drinking milk will do the trick since you will be too sore to chew anything at first, besides you shouldn't even take ibuprophen on an empty stomach.

Discuss your concern of pain med nausea with the doctor and be brutally honest or he can’t help you.

• ilikecheese
    ilikecheese

I realize this is crazy overdue, but thanks for the replies! I'm not so much of a wimp, but I'm terrified of this surgery. I've never gone under for anything and I've never so much as had a cavity, so it's pretty daunting. I've become convinced that I'm going to be the first case in modern dentistry to die on the wisdom tooth operating table.

Truth be told, the IV sedation creeps me out more than anything else. And the pain meds worry me, too. I know a fair number of people who didn't need them and stuck with ibuprofen or Tylenol, but with my luck, my face will end up looking like The Marshmallow Man's and I'll need all the pain pills in the town's supply.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

I had a lot of teeth pulled as a child for crowding (11 if i remember right, no not all at once!)

They could do it with you awake, but having your mouth cranked open to maximum and then hammer and chisels and pliers going at it wouldn't be fun. The dentist wouldnt have an easy job of it either with you trying to scream and panic all the way thru, so for ease of use all round I highly recommend being gassed.

Last time I was gassed (age 14 I think) to have teeth pulled it felt like someone had been sitting on my chest when I woke up and it took a few days to clear. Who knows, maybe someone was sitting on my chest!,.. but more likely a slight reaction to the anesthetic. I think it's all come a long way in the last 20 - 30 years, so you will be fine.

They had to split my jaw at the front. I asked them what they used, he said a hammer and chisel. Oh the memories!

Is this helping? Hmmm maybe not...

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I had a wisdom tooth pulled by an oral surgeon.

He came in with a Sears Craftsman tool box. Pulled out a stainless steel Sears and Roebuck lifetime

guarantee chanelllock pliers, put his foot up on my dental chair and started yanking and pulling.

I remember it hurt a lot, I took the pain pills and slept all weekend.

• ilikecheese
    ilikecheese

haha I'm pretty sure it's fairly standard for any impacted wisdom teeth patients to be put to "conscious sleep." More people seem to do that nowadays than anything else. I think that would be preferrable to being awake. I think I'd be creeped out either way. I wasn't even comfortable with my brother trying to pull out my loose baby teeth with a string and a door. =p

Thanks for telling me your experience with teeth pulling, too! I'm pretty sure you're supposed to at least feel semi-normal a few hours after the IV sedation. It's just the concept of twilight sleep and the idea that some stranger is going to be hacking at my mouth when I'm out that's a bit worrysome.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit