Really random... wisdom teeth

by ilikecheese 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

I've become convinced that I'm going to be the first case in modern dentistry to die on the wisdom tooth operating table.

You wouldn't be the first!

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Yikes!

Wisdom teeth! Nightmare!

Both my remaining wisdom teeth are totally impacrted and complicated, and I know at some point they'll have to come out but that it'll mean hospital, and yes, you've guessed it, I am a total coward when it comes to anything like that.

So I'm putting off the evil day as long as possible. As it is, they cause me no trouble whatsoever.

• Diest
    Diest

Everyone has a different response to narcotic pain relievers. Id take the vicoden, if you are really worried you can as for an anti-nausea medicne as well.

• Kool Jo
    Kool Jo

I had mine pulled a year ago...I didn't feel anything...my dentist did a great job although I'm not a fan of going the dentist.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

I had all 4 taken out. Two were impacted and an oral surgeon took them out. The other two weren't and a dentist took them out. I also had 4 more teeth taken out for braces. The only bad experiance I had was a dry socket with one of them. The dentist was a creep and didn't even look when I came back in pain. I went to another dentist and right away he told me I had a dry socket and gave me some real pain medication. It got better in a few days but I just stayed in bed till it did.

I had no IV sedation. Just the painful shots to numb, they feel like they go thru your head. One tooth same stupid dentist (that can no longer practice) the tooth was not numbed well and I felt the entire pull I almost passed out. He just said "oh sorry I don't think that was numb" No du

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only person who never had a problem with my wisdom teeth. All 4 grew in by the time I was 16. I've since lost 2 molars though.

W

• tresdecu
    tresdecu

I had mine out at 25 I was under general anastesia, so didnt remember a thing. Take the vicodin as a back up and if the Ibuprophen works well enough than good for you! But if not, you have them.

If the vicodin upset your stomach you can ask for percocet, also a narc (it's oxycodone vs hydrocodone (vicodin) I have been told that for some people percocet doesn't bother some people as much (if you are prone to nausia)

Also for the nausia, ask about Vistaril (generic drug name: HYDROXYZINE) it is an antihystamine that can be given to boost the narcotic and help control upset stomach. Vistaril can be taken with Vicodin or Perocet. It definately does help.

Another option you can ask for is vicoprophen (hydrocodone and ibuprophen) This is what I used after I through out my back last year. Be careful if you end up liking the effects, they can be addictive and your body does get used to them.

Hope it goes well! Take care!

TD

• d
    d

I had mine taken out in 2008. You will be fine.

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

I may be stepping out on a limb here but I think that wisdom teeth extraction is one of the biggest overblown unnecessary procedures done to people. It's one thing if you're experiencing a lot of pain or discomfort and that's not the situations I'm referring to. Dentists and oral surgeons will have a look at your x-rays and oh my look at that, your wisdom teeth are impacted - they HAVE to come out, regardless of whether or not they're actually affecting you in any way and all the scary talk begins. I had that same conversation almost 10 years ago with my dentist and never pursued the extraction option. Lo and behold, I've had no ill effects from them being 'impacted' and they've actually started poking through...again with zero issues. Obviously, not everyone has an experience like mine but I think way more people would if they didn't buy into the intimidating conversation when the dentist is pushing an unnecessary procedure.

*just my 2 cents and I hope your surgery goes well

• ilikecheese
    ilikecheese

Thanks for all the posts! I've seriously been Spanish Inquisitioning everyone about their experience. I appreciate you guys humoring me. And I appreciate your thoughts on the pain killers and stuff.

" You wouldn't be the first!"

Haha after you said that, I had to go Google it, and now I'm convinced I actually will die. Yay, information age! :P

Poopsiecakes, I would normally agree about not needing them done, but I have one that absolutely needs out. It's partially impacted and cavitied. Those are the ones that tend to lead to infection. The gums around them make it so you can't brush them properly, and then the gum tissue can be messed up, too. My older brother had to have his bottom ones out because they were partially impacted and became infected so badly that he couldn't eat for weeks and lost 15 pounds before the surgery. SOOO not interested in that happening. And since they're doing one, they may as well do all of them. It would be better than having to get it done 20 years from now. I'm just nervous weenie.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit