Minimum pricing for alcohol came in the UK today

by ballistic 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Nebeska Nada
    Nebeska Nada

Sent you again.

• Patty Cake
    Patty Cake

@cuckoo It's like where I live. Except they are adults, not teens

I think there would be a riot here if the government tried to do have a minimum price. People smashing liquor store windows, stealing the booze...wait, that happens here already. Guess they'd have to do something else.

• dozy
    dozy

" when I used to smoke, people used to say I was costing the NHS millions "

Billions , actually , http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8086142.stm - British Heart Foundation estimates 5 billion GBP annually - though this is offset by smokers dying 5 - 8 years younger on average so they aren't as much of a burden in their older years. Forest (the BAT / Imperial Tobacco financed organisation) reckons that the tax that smokers pay on tobacco more than offsets the cost. I guess it depends how you want to run the figures.

I'm not a big fan of minimum alcohol pricing - I think it is really about changing attitudes and aspirations, especially amongst younger people. When I have been abroad ( to France , for example) there is just a completely different mindset.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Yeah Dozy - I agree. In continental Europe low cost alcohol is readily available, but the culture is not one of binge drinking or preloading!

• cuckoo in the nest
    cuckoo in the nest

Hello Patty, we get a wide demographic of boozehounds here as well. The acne-encrusted alkies just get noticed more because they get up more people's noses, but there's a couple of "senior" characters too. They're normally on the street corner outside the off licence, bottle of strong lager in hand, and add a little local colour to the town. "Bubba" and his mate are the the traditional town drunk type, think Rab C. Nesbitt or Shadrach Dingle.

The only local colour the rat-arsed kids add is usually in a puddle on the pavement...

• ballistic
  • ballistic
    ballistic

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR can anyone see that post, it's blank at this end.

• talesin
    talesin

First one is blank, you musta been using IE9.

hope life is good :))

t

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

Just brew your own. Distilling isn't all that complex either.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit