Have you ever played the lottery? Do you still do it?

by Iamallcool 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

I have never purchased lottery tickets in my life, but I have picked lottery numbers with someone in the past only one time. He agreed to split the winnings if we win, but we didn't. I am thinking about buying some lottery tickets, hopefully I will get very lucky.

• AnneB
    AnneB

It would be rendering Caesar's things to Caesar, wouldn't it? Seems OK to me!

• dingo1
    dingo1

dude, i have a few friends who always win big on scratch offs. i suspect that they lose a lot in the long run. the odds are stacked against you, just say no. would you walk past a trashcan and drop a dollar in it... unless you are at an assembly? HUGE LOL

• Razziel
    Razziel

Most friends I've had that pick numbers and play the lotto do it to break up some of the monotony of life. They're at the stage of life where they realize all their dreams as a kid aren't going to come true, they aren't going to strike it rich, and they'll be doing good to retire at 65. It's just a way to keep the dream alive.

If you try scratch-offs, make sure to check your state lottery website. They provide up to date records of how many have been sold and what prizes have been claimed. Don't lower the already small odds you have by playing a game where the big prizes are already taken.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

There are several ways to do this. If you do play lottery, be warned that the expected return is around 60%. Also, if you win 600 toilet papers or more, you will need a 1099 form. (Plus a trip to a special place to collect those prizes.)

If you don't want to worry about all the big prizes being won, the drawing ones are better. Scratch-offs are fine if you simply wish a little fun--if playing is half the fun. The drawing ones (you pick your numbers and enter them) are also fine--whether you pick the 3- or 4 digit numbers, the Pick 5, the Power Ball or Mega Millions, or the Quick Draw. Just beware that the Quick Draw terminals can be addictive, and you can easily spend several hours and more than you can afford with money trying to win a prize.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I play - a couple of linbes a week. The chances of winning are highly unlikely, but better than If I didn't play

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

U gotta be init to winit

• Azazel
    Azazel

Dont play lotto : 100% chance of not winning.

Play lotto : 0.000000000001 % (im exagerating for dramatic effect) chance of winning.

old saying "ya gotta be in it to win it"

Az

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

My lotto tips:

Don't bother playing "lucky" numbers. There is no such thing. Just let the clerk use the random "quick pick" option. You'll have the same chances without the bother.

Don't bother buying a bunch of tickets at a time. One ticket for $1 gives you just about the same chance as five tickets for $5. Buy a sandwich with your extra $4.

Do play the lotto, because it helps fund all sorts of programs.

Do play the lotto, even though your chances of winning are low, because if you don't, there's no chance of winning anything.

I personally know 2 people who won pretty big. One won $1,000 a week for life ( not a bad supplemental income) and one won $10 million.

I spend $2-3 a week on lotto, and about $15/week on Starbucks. You tell me which one is the addiction!

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

Buying a lottery ticket was my first deliberate rebellious act after leaving the bOrg.

I buy 2 a week by direct debit with the attitude that if I haven't won this week then the money goes to good causes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit