Remarrying, then paradise =problem?

by Inisc 35 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

From what I recall, the understanding is that since the "former things will not be called to mind", the resurrected person might recall being married to their spouse, but they won't be hurt seeing them with someone else. They'll see them as a brother or sister, and harbor no romantic feelings for them. Other things I've heard is that "Jehovah is going to give us our heart's desire", so therefore, if your desire is to live with your spouse in paradise and wait until they're re-animated, Jehovah will allow you to be with them...whether the relationship includes sex or not is written in those "new scrolls". I've also heard that Jehovah will let women who have miscarried or had a stillborn baby (neither having taken the first "breath of life") have that very baby again (which, I think is utter BS).

I know a sister whose husband died about 18 years ago. She's raised her daughter alone (who was very young at the time of her dad's death), and she refuses to remarry... She hopes to be reunited and married to him when he is resurrected. I shake my head...because I know she won't be...and that she basically threw away her chance to find love again and not be lonely. And, trust, she IS lonely...She's basically ignored in the congregation. Her daughter got sick of the BS, got herself a boyfriend, and left the org.

• wisdomfrombelow
    wisdomfrombelow

If people were to sit and think about the JW resurrection hope they might well make different choices. If a woman wants to have a child, why put it off and then never have one? People who think that paradise will come at a great time to solve all their problems never want to think about the possibility that it won't. And then what?

• dingo1
    dingo1

i have considered this. what if perfection is being not self aware. living like so called pagans... completely polygamist, unaware of or unafraid of dying, no knowlege other than instinct, no god, no worries other than survival. like a prairie dog or an ant colony. the only problem i can concive with this scenerio is humans would be incapable of creating art.

• Larsinger58
  • snakeface
    snakeface

No. This is how it works. Your spouse dies. You remarry. The new system comes and the first spouse is resurrected. He/she will not want you because he/she was resurrected as perfect whereas you need 1,000 years to work out your imperfections...the same imperfections the first spouse was trying to get you to work on in the old system.

Seriously, though, you can see that the Wastetower's teaching on this subject is a crock of crap like all the other carrots they dangle before the flock.

• TD
    TD
    How,is that ever gonna work? I mean that wife or husband that crawled out from their dirt nap is gonna be pissed right?

Like others have said, in JW theology, those who are resurrected don't marry and (presumably) have no desire to

I think there's worse problems with recreation resurrection than marriage though. A more fundamental question is if the recreated being is really you at all.

Since JW's don't believe that anything actually survives the death of the body except God's 'memory' of you, then 'resurrection' is simply the act of creating a facsimile of your body and putting your personality and memories in it.

Well that's not really resurrection at all. What would prevent God from doing this while you're still alive? Would it be 'you' or would it simply be a very convincing copy of you?

I'm not a big fan of Schwarzenegger, but that conundrum was explored in the movie The Sixth Day. Is an exact clone of you complete with your personality and memories really 'you' or is it just a copy?

• Inisc
    Inisc

Yeah, a dangling carrot, one that doesn't hold up to scrutiny. Another reason why many no longer believe.

• Honesty
    Honesty

It's all Bullshite.

• rocketman
    rocketman

It's always been a thorny question, and frankly, the answer Jesus gave does little to anwer it, unless one believes that Jesus is referring only to life in heaven:

24 “Teacher,” they said, “Moses told us that if a man dies without having children, his brother must marry the widow and have children for him. 25 Now there were seven brothers among us. The first one married and died, and since he had no children, he left his wife to his brother. 26 The same thing happened to the second and third brother, right on down to the seventh. 27 Finally, the woman died. 28 Now then, at the resurrection, whose wife will she be of the seven, since all of them were married to her?”

" 29 Jesus replied, “You are in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God. 30 At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven. 31 But about the resurrection of the dead—have you not read what God said to you, 32 ‘I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’ a ? He is not the God of the dead but of the living.”

It seems to me that those who asked the question were thinking of earth-related eventualities while Jesus seems to be speaking of heaven-related eventualities. Otherwise, his reply just doesn't make sense, unless, as some say (including the WTS), that earth-dwelling resurrected ones somehow become 'as angels' with no desire to marry. But even so, it's a problematic conclusion to reach, as some of the comments to this thread have already highlighted.

• clearpoison
    clearpoison

According to my understanding angels were able to desire sexual relation to women, even marry them. Wasn't that the reason why there are demons in first place. If they have that capability how can resurrected people without desire to marry be describes as angel like. I at least see a paradoxe here.

CP

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit