The bible, seriously?

by Inisc 45 Replies latest jw friends

• Inisc
    Inisc

So I've been reading the bible, (for the fist time ever and I was a born in) I stopped going Iilike 3 years ago and I wanted to have a good understanding of the bible and not just the WT. but holy crap that's some 18rated stuff! I mean I'm still in genesis and it's all vengeance this, condemn that and genocide everything else!

It all seems so petty, the precious 'hands off tree'

Cain and able, seriously? They needed to work out some jealousy issues!

The flood? Impossible, can't believe I ever believed that.

Noah has a drinking problem and takes it out on his grandson and all his future offspring, wtf?

Tower of babel, how high could have been really, I mean get over yourself god it's not that big a deal!

Dont get me started on Lot! Poor guy loses his wife cos she pisses off god so he defies the laws of physics and turns into salt. I mean, who does that?

Then his daughters rape him? And where did they get the wine from? Thought their city just got flattened, is that all they carried out with them?

Its all horrific.

So my point is this,

Does anyone else having previously believed in the bible now wonder if the whole lot of it is symbolism and metaphors, written by a bunch of superstitious nobles sitting in a cave trying to put forth myths and legends to explain the birth of nations and other things they didn't understand back then, and actually not inspired word of god at all?

• baltar447
    baltar447

It's myth, folklore and fairy tales.

• TOTH
    TOTH

I have some problems with a lot of the things written in the Bible. I can see a very angry and vindictive Yaweh in the OT who is then shown to be kind and forgiving in the NT with Jesus only to switch back to angry and vindictive Jesus in Revelation. There are some double standards that make me wonder why certain people get away with murder and others can't. Like King David. He committed adultery then murder to cover it all up. ANY other Israelite would have been stoned to death at the city gate just for screwing another man's wife, forget about having the guy hacked to pieces to hide the pregnancy. But not David. He got to keep the wife and while losing their little bastard offspring they did get to have more kids. Oh sure, there was trouble in the house of David but wow, no stoning at the gate was bs. IMHO anyways.

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

Of course! At this point in my life I don't even know if I believe in God. I just finished watching a 3 part series by Stephen Hawking (Into the Universe). Yet I look at all the luck it took to get human life onto this planet and have trouble believing there wasn't SOME sort of plan. I just don't know.

But I am fairly confident that the Bible is NOT God's word. And if it was....how can anyone say the Hebrew and greek scriptures are at all cohesive? The Hebrew God was blood thirsty, jealous and petty. Whereas the God of the Greek scriptures forgives everything but denial of the holy spirit? Really?

The funny thing about Cain and Abel is that you'll hear witnesses talk today and they'll say "the reason why you see so many murders being reported today is that each generation is worse than the last. Each generation is that much further away from perfection". Really? Cain was supposedly ONE generation from perfection.....and he waxed his own brother!?!?!?! If you are one generation from perfection....shouldn't you be sinning in less egregious ways?

Regarding the divinity of the bible.....the best line any witness has is "well.....the bible has been around for almost 4,000 years. Any book that can make it that long and through all the turmoil (such as the dark ages) simply must be god's word." What about the Vedas (Hinduism)? It has been around for over 3,000 years. Does that prove that it too was preserved by God? Or is 3,000 years of preservation mere child's play while 4,000 years is absolutely divine?

• cantleave
    cantleave

I cringe when I think that I used to believe the bible. How was I sooooooo stoopid?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I think there are many here who feel just like Inisc in the opening post. I am another one of them.

• elder-schmelder
    elder-schmelder

I am one also

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Just ignore all the nasty stuff in the Old Testament, and pay attention to the warm and fuzzy stuff about Jesus. That's what the Christians on this forum will tell you.

• tec
    tec

I think the bible is a mi x ture of everything. Myth, allegory, history, laws, prophets and scripture, moral lessons, witness accounts to Christ, and personal letters. It is also more than one book, with more than one author, in more than one era. It is a mistake to teach that it is one book, and that one book is the inspired, infallable word of God. I believe it does contain some words of God, given to man. (scripture) But Christ, himself, is the Word of God. The Truth and the image of God. So it is to Him that we should listen.

Peace

tammy

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Keyser soze, you are like an "instant prophet."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit