Tough Question for ExElders...

by Xena 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

I answered Xena’s challenge last night and I’ll add a little more now.

I never viewed any DF’d person as being cut off from God and not worthy of praying to him let alone say that to a DF’d person. I wouldn’t normally ignore a DF person but I refused to have anything to do with the reinstated child molester and father of my sister’s husband. (I sometimes wondered if God ever listened to his public prayers while he, as an elder, was in an adulterous relationship and later, after being reinstated the first time, when he was sodomizing his stepchildren.) Sam also makes some good points about the inconsistency of JW belief on prayer.

When my wife’s gay brother was DF’d I reasoned with her family not to cut him off and shun him. After I quit being an elder and left to relocate to the US not a single member of my congregation invited me to have a farewell meal with them. I guess I was already marked as bad association for refusing to go along with a corrupt elder body. The only people who took us out to dinner were my gay brother-in-law and his partner.

In the past few years I quit the JWs altogether got divorced and remarried. I don’t plan to have any leadership role in religion ever again. I recently refused to be considered for a position on the board of a charitable foundation. I assist my wife in some of her work in both voluntary and church related activities. For me, I serve food and wait tables for the homeless and poor once a month. I guess for some I will never be contrite enough for my sin of being a JW elder, and that some is me.

Thirdson

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Just re-checked this thread, since I saw it is into a second page.

I never thought in terms that anyone was abandoned from prayer. (Though your sins be as scarlet...)
    I have still not truly got a grip on the "unforgivable sin", so I'm not even going to go there.

I never heard "lack of a hearing ear" discussed, nor anyone make such a statement.
    If they had have done I'd like to think I'd have taken umbridge and given them a piece of my mind.

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Question; Can an elder refuse to participate in a JC if it bothers his conceince, or would he be pressured to do so?

A. An elder can refuse to sit on a particular case BUT if he voices his refusal to sit on ANY case because of his not being in agreement with the arrangement (conscience) then his qualifications would be called into question.

Question: As a "disfellowshipping elder", did you EVER once utter to the disfellowshippee that "jehovah will no longer hear your prayers or cries for help. Only Satan can now"?

A. I never said that to anyone.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

"The first time you disfellowshiped someone was there regret? sadness? or a sense of justice?"

The first time I was young, as I started serving as an elder in my mid-20s, and I think it was probably a sense of justice tinged with a bit of sadness.

"Did you have doubts as to your qualifications to be making this decision?"

I was fairly confident of my own qualifications, but from early on in serving as an elder I saw so many outrageous things being done by other elders, even long-term elders, that I often questioned their qualifications. As time went on it became more and more obvious to me that the JC arrangement was a VERY uneven one, in part due to the tremendous difference in the quality of the brothers serving as elders. Some brothers seem to glory in this, with kind of a warped view that they are soldiers "keeping the organization clean and protecting the congregation." They seem to love that power and control. They often can be total pricks in a jc hearing.

"Were you nervous, was there any doubt in your mind at all that this was the right decision?"

Not really nervous, and few doubts, at first.

"When it was over did you feel like God's Spirit had helped in the decision making?"

In the early years, yes. Experience helped me to see that holy spirit had nothing to do with it.

As far as Skally's question" "As a "disfellowshipping elder", did you EVER once utter to the disfellowshippee that 'jehovah will no longer hear your prayers or cries for help. Only Satan can now'?"

That sounds like the sort of thing a few idiot elders I knew might say. I never said it or anything like it and had absolutely no belief in the idea to begin with. I think that answers both your questions, Skally.

One final note. I was the chair of an appeal committee that was sent to Ogdensburg, NY to review 8 disfellowshippings made there by a special committee. This was in the 1980's. Everything in that congregation seemed a mess, and especially the actions of the special committee. There were no real scriptural grounds for dfing most of the folks that they had, and they'd failed to follow the WTS's procedures. It seemed essentially a case where there was a huge mess in the congregation and the special committee's response was to just df the worst of the lot - most of whom were simply demoralized from the actions of a rogue body of elders.

We talked with Bethel about this while we were dealing with it, and were counseled to take each case and consider it individuallly, and of course to pray about it and depend on the holy spirit. We did just that, and in 7 of the 8 appeal hearings it became obvious that there was simply no basis for the dfing action.

We wrote a 28 page report to the WTS, providing five reasons in each of the 7 cases why the dfing was not proper. Being upset with a body of screw-up elders is not grounds for dfing - and the WTS had already removed all of those elders as not qualifying, which in my mind tended to verify the truthfulness of the friends' concerns.

BUT - the WTS upheld every single one of the dfings. I knew then that they had done exactly what the brothers in the service dept had told us not to do - they'd simply lumped the group together and dfed the whole bunch.

That case deeply disturbed me, as it proved to me that without a doubt the holy spirit had nothing to do with these decisions - even when they were coming from Bethel. And if Bethel didn't have holy spirit, what hope was there for the rest of us?

A few months later I ran into one of the brothers who had been on the special committee. He said that one of the dfed friends, a former elder I think, was turning against the WTS. He said this was proof that dfing had been the right thing to do. I didn't respond, but I thought at the time that the way that poor ex-brother had been handled by the elders was a pretty damn good reason to turn on the WTS. I would have been shocked if he hadn't. He saw the WTS at its very worst.

Good thread, Xena, and nice to talk with you.
    S4

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

I know of at least one elder who would not participate in JCs. Said it bothered him too much and he wasn't going to do it. His body went along with him.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit