Is the Watchtower shy about repeating their new "generation" teaching?

by slimboyfat 245 Replies latest jw friends

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

As I recall in the 1980s talks and Watchtower literature, magazines and books were ALWAYS talking about the "generation" teaching and how it PROVED Armageddon was going to come any day now.

But am I correct in thinking they have only actually mentioned the new "overlapping generations" teaching once or twice in the literature? Why are they so shy about talking about their great new interpretation? It's almost enough to make you suspect they are a EMBARRASSED about it.

Mention it once or twice, don't dwell on it, hope everyone just accepts it, and don't bring it up again. Is that the strategy?

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

well it can change at any moment. The previous version only lasted a few years. Honestly, they aren't the least bit concerened or worried as they have millions that will suck on the GB heavenly information schlong on command.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

they just keep on hammering you about it during the CO visists and ASSemblies

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

It's as if they discussed it once or twice just because they had to get it out of the way, but they are not going to draw any more attention to it than necessary. Which is undertandable of course because it is frankly absurd nonsense that insults the intelligence of members even more than the Watchtower's usual drivel does.

It might be interesting to analyse the literature from the 1980s and see how often they discussed their "generation" teaching then, compared with how often they have mentioned the new "generation" teaching.

• sir82
    sir82

That is an interesting point.

I recall using the "there can't be much time left for the generation of 1914" meme in field service in the 80's pretty frequently. It was typically one of the first things you brought out to a "progressive" return visit or bible study. "Better hurry up & get on the ark, the youngest of that generation is already in their 70's!"

The latest "generation" definition has a similar implication - the "time left is reduced". The 1914 anointed generation has been dead about 20 or so years, and the youngest of the current GB are in their late 50's.

You'd think they would try to capitalize on this concept as they did in earlier times.

The complete & utter absence of "this generation" in any preaching material is telling. It indicates that they realize that unless you're a fully indoctrinated JW, their explanation would be met with a blank stare at best, more likely loud guffaws & outright mocking.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The new teaching doesn't even make sense. Maybe the writers have gone on strike from having to try to explain the absurd new light.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I can not believe the number of JW apologists who try to defend this BS.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Where are apologists defending it? I would be interested to see that.

• blondie
    blondie

They didn't discuss the change from the generation of 1914 much either. They came back after 1995 and tried to explain away some "misunderstandings" in 1997. I knew many jws that still didn't get it and still talk about the 1914 generation.

*** w97 5/1 p. 29 Questions From Readers ***

Could it be said that the recently updated understanding of the word “generation” at Matthew 24:34 allows for the idea that the end of the system of things could be delayed into the distant future?

*** w97 6/1 p. 28 Questions From Readers ***

“The Watchtower” of November 1, 1995, focused on what Jesus said about “this generation,” as we read at Matthew 24:34. Does this mean that there is some question about whether God’s Kingdom was set up in heaven in 1914?

http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/generation.php

• tornapart
    tornapart

And now we're not supposed to ask any more questions. All the answers there are have already been covered..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit