United Nations mentioned in Watchtower publications

by Magi 33 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• jgnat
    jgnat

The Jehovah's Witnesses continue to benefit from UN attention, as a persecuted minority. For fun I google

"Jehovah's Witnesses site:un.org"

to check on how they milk the persecution angle.

• Cacky
    Cacky

It wasn't just a silly doctrine to them back in 1980 when I was studying. From what I recall, Rutherford predicted the League of Nations would be resurrected in some form, as he said back then it was the wild beast of Revelation. Then it happened and everyone thought he really knew or had some kind of way of knowing that from God. I have heard lately that he had heard of talk of it among people in high stations so that's how he knew it was coming back. Anyway, that was a major thing when I studied and when I was a witness in the 1980's, so much so that I noticed when in the 90's, it was so obvious their stance changed and they seemed to be praising the United Nations and I had wondered back then, before the Internet, what was going on with that.

• smiddy
    smiddy

The WWW was the best thing that happened since sliced bread LOL for humankind,but the worst thing that has ever happened for the WTB&TS

smiddy

• smiddy
    smiddy

Oh, by the way welcome to the board Magi,glad to have you on here

smiddy

• Magi
    Magi

Thanks smiddy. Glad to be here. I've checked in with this site here and there over the years. And everyone here has done a good job with providing me the information that i needed at those times. But now I feel that if I have some deeper questions, I'll have to hop on board and ask away lol. And I'm in a much better place with myself to ask them and also provide any information I personally find out to help others in need.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

This thread has reminded me of another JW legend

A University debating team competition was being conducted and one of the speakers mentioned United Nations and how it would be instrumental in the abolishment of all world religions in the near future.

There just so happened to be a member of the UN in the audience who was aware of this plan but it was classified and Top Secret and no-one knew of it unless they were high ranking and had top level security clearance.

He approached the speaker and asked him how he had come by such confidential information and was amazed to be told it had been prophecied in the Bible and was common knowledge to all Bible students.

He apparently then requested a Bible Study!

Has anyone else heard this one? I believed it the first time I heard it too.

• Magi
    Magi

Lol. You sure the UN member wasn't a smurf? To be honest, i haven't heard that one yet, buts that a pretty good story for the dubs to get worked up on.

• Celestial
    Celestial
    Are they still printing in any of their articles that the UN is the wild beast? Even after removing themselves from being a member, do they still put the UN in a positive or negative light? Or did the society just all together drop any mention of the UN within their publications? I don't have access to any of the watchtower cds to run a search on. If anyone can help out, thanks alot.

An obvious reason for the Watchtower society obtaining notoriety with the United Nations on a limited basis was because of the UN's international threshold and declaration of human rights.

Political entities may have self-serving agendas and corrupt elements associated with their organization, but that doesn't mean all aspects of the organization are completely useless in their service to others.

Let every soul be in subjection to the superior authorities, for there is no authority except by God; the existing authorities stand placed in their relative positions by God. Romans 13:1

According to the Bible, the UN is directly related (a representation) to the superior authorities (world governments).

...the image of the wild beast... Revelation 13:15

The superior authorities have a relative position influenced by the UN. The Watchtower society likely collaborated with the UN (as a NGO) on a limited basis due to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the UN's international influence.

Watchtower 12/01/2001 Develop Your Heart to Fear Jehovah

The General Assembly of the United Nations adopted the Universal Declaration of Human Rights on December 10, 1948.

Watchtower 08/01/2001 Why Do You Believe What You Believe?

To believe has been defined as “to accept as true, genuine, or real.” The United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights enshrines every person’s “right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion.” This right includes the freedom “to change his religion or belief” if he wants to do so.

The United Nations directly intervened in a person’s “right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion” according to UN documents.

http://www.un.org/documents/ga/docs/51/plenary/a51-542add1.htm

Nevertheless, the conscientious objectors - in this instance, the Jehovah's Witnesses - have refused to wear uniforms, salute the flag or accept the period specified for performing alternative service. The Ministry of Defence claims that the Jehovah's Witnesses, by asking to be exempted from national service, were asking to receive treatment which would discriminate against other Greek citizens. The authorities maintain that the Jehovah's Witnesses must, as Greek citizens, respect the law in force and bear in mind the particular position of Greece, a small State that must protect its territorial integrity. According to the Ministry of Justice, the Jehovah's Witnesses are being prosecuted not for their beliefs but for having violated the law. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs indicated that the authorities were ready to make concessions provided they had no impact on national issues. The impact the Greek authorities seem to have in mind is any impairment of the obligation to perform national service and of the unity of the country.

39. According to the non-governmental representatives, it is necessary for the Greek State to adopt legislation recognizing the right to conscientious objection with respect to military service in order to put an end to infringements of the religious freedom of conscientious objectors, in particular Jehovah's Witnesses, and of their human rights in general within Greek society (see chap. II, sect. A, "The Jehovah's Witnesses"). The well- known Exemption of Ministers of Religion Act (Act No. 1763/1988) should also be fully applied (see chap. II, sect. A, "Protestant minority").

Thousands of Jehovah's Witnesses are said to have been arrested and to have served long prison sentences for proselytism. There are numerous examples of these violations of religious freedom, in particular the case of Kokkinakis, a Jehovah's Witness who was exiled six times, arrested more than 60 times and served five years in various prisons for proselytism (Special Rapporteur's communication of 9 October 1992, E/CN.4/1994/79; case of Kokkinakis versus Greece - 3/1992/348/421 - decision, European Court of Human Rights).

89. With regard to conscientious objection, aside from the observations already made in chapters I and II, according to reports from non-governmental sources, the figures regarding the number of Jehovah's Witnesses in prison as of 1 June 1996 are as follows:

Kassandra Agricultural Prison 58

Kessavetia-Volos Agricultural Prison 46

Avlona Military Prison 85

Sindos Military Prison 164

Total number of objectors 353

Total of sentences imposed 1,147 years

Total of sentences served 296 years

In other words, the notion of religious intolerance attracted the attention of the UN. It appears that ill motivated apostates will obviously attempt to manipulate any contact with the powers that be in an attempt to destroy Christian neutrality.

• Magi
    Magi

Thanks for the info, Celestial. Would you perhaps know when the watchtower society had become a NGO? If the UN had adopted the Universal Decleration of Human Rights in 1948 then it would have been very appealing for the WTBTS to sign up as a NGO thus allowing them more freedom especially to get their message into other countries.

• NOLAW
    NOLAW

What's your problem with WT becoming an NGO?

Your minds are twisted even more than those hypocrites of the GB.

To the extend that the UN or any other organization promotes what is in accord with what YHWH has written in his Word, I see no problem cooperating with them. But not even an inch more.

NOLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit