Jesus Vs Horus

by Christ Alone 89 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cofty
    cofty

The fact remains that Justin Martyr a 1st century christian apologist claimed that Jesus' .... virgin birth, death, resurrection, ascension and miracles all have parallels in older pagan myths. You can't dismiss this by telling me that you know better than Martyr from a perspective 19 centuries distant from the facts.

Modern christians apologists want to distract us by focusing on the differences betwen Jesus and specific details of certain myths. This is to miss the point entirely.

Suppose I were to mention that Bernstein's "West Side Story" was a retelling of Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet" and in response you wrote pages about all the differences between the two stories.

West Side Story centres on Tony of the Jets and Maria of the Sharks not Romeo of the House of Montague and Juliet of the House of Capula. Juilet never worked in a bridal shop and Romeo never didn't work at Docs Drugstore. We could go on but you get my point.

Looking even closer we find that Shakespeare in turn was influenced by "The Tragical History of Romeus and Juiet" by Arthur Brooke of 1562 which in turn was based on an Italian tale of antiquity.

The parallels between some of the Jesus myths and older pagan myths are too much to ignore completely. The differences are as important as the similarities.

Why are christians so defensive about the idea?

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Hi, BrotherDan/Christ!

EDIT: When you get a chance, maybe you could drop back by your thread and explain why won't own up to your old handle.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/222975/4/Welcome-back-BrotherDan

• I Want to Believe
    I Want to Believe

"why would they be willing to be tortured and killed for a completely fabricated lie?"

Uhm, cult's throughout history have done just that (even killing themselves), because they truly believe, even if they came up with it themselves. Dying for something is not proof it's real.

• mP
    mP

@christalone

just because many died for their beliefs does not make them true, it only shows they believed. many moslems have happily died in suicidal attacks in this century, yet none of us use that as proof of allah. judging the faith of any martyrs has nothing to do with faith, given their little education and almost no access to written material one must also ask what they knew. xians in the past were very different, though there may be shared elements we would be shocked if made aware of the differences.

@tec

give your research, can you state the proofs that jesus even existed ? can you explain the solar symbology that is used when describing christ ? have you rad the story of krishna, the indian guy with the same name? let me tell you thats not the only coincidence between krishna and/christ.l

• tec
    tec

This thread is not about proving if Christ e x isted. This thread is about Christ-myth claims, and their validity (or not). And the name of Krishna is not related to Christ. I know that there is something going around out there somewhere, but I think that it was Leo who provided the research on how this was false. (Hare Krishna being related to Jesus Christ)

Peace,

tammy

• cofty
    cofty
    This thread is not about proving if Christ e x isted. This thread is about Christ-myth claims - Tammy

Yes that's right.

I would be interested in your thoughts on the Justin Martyr quote I posted and my explanation of the differences between Jesus storys and pagan myths.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    BroDan/Christ: Therefore, it is unlikely that these Jewish Christians would adopt pagan mythology.

Yes, well, it was time for some fresh mythology to take over, wasn't it? "Let's add SOMEthing a little more original." But was that completely original even?

Also, BroDan/ChristAlone, I noticed that - in true BrotherDan fashion - you're still plagiarizing and not giving credit to the original author. (http://carm.org/was-resurrection-story-borrowed) What's up with that? It's easier, I know, but at least put some shit in quotes and say according to Ryan Turner.... Geez.

EDIT: If you blatantly lie about your JWN alias in the face of overwhelming evidence, change your bio post to TRY to avoid incriminating yourself further (editing "2 years at Bethel" to make it 3 later), and you don't give proper credit to others for their written works, why should we consider anything you post? Jesus wouldn't appreciate all this dishonesty, would he?

• tec
    tec

I don't know enough about Justin Martyr to comment on his quote.

I can give you my opinion... based on the little knowledge that I have and only on the quote you listed... and that is that he was trying to strike some common ground to show how their beliefs weren't that crazy. But ChristAlone already mentioned that. Also, how do I know if JM knew what was true and what was not? Maybe he was responding to rumors, himself? I don't know what was going on in that time... do we have a rebuttal from whomever he was talking to? Or do we have a copy of what he was specifically responding to?

I don't know. Can't make any sort of a credible supposition without that information as well.

Peace,

tammy

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

Im liking Horus a bit more JC seems too much like a flash MF

• cofty
    cofty

Perhaps you could google Justin Martyr Tammy?

He was an important early christian apologist. The quote is from his "First Apology" dated to 150 AD. It was written to the Roman Emporer Antoninus Pius for t he purpose of proving to the emperor the importance of Christianity. In that context he tells the emperor that the stories they are telling the world about Jesus are no different from the ones they, the Romans already tell about the sons of Jupiter.

If Justin Martyr didn't know what was true and what wasn't nobody did.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit