Jesus Vs Horus

by Christ Alone 89 Replies latest watchtower bible

• tec
    tec

Objective ones. Like the actual sources... and myths... and looking for the comparisons myself.

There is a christian apologetics site that makes a list of all the comparisons and then also lists the sources used - I pay attention to only the non-biased ones. Plus a little common sense...if someone (like Zeitgeist, or the pagan christ authors, or any such thing) has to pad their case... they either do not have a case, or they are simply very shoddy and biased researchers. So why believe anything they have to say? When someone lists a big list of all sorts of 'god-men' stating that one of the main similarities is a dec.25th b-day, that should be a red flag as to the authenticity of their research right off the bat.

Peace,

tammy

• cofty
    cofty

I already said I am not defending the movie but I think you are far too certain that at least some of the gospels were not influenced by older god-man myths. Why would they not be?

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone
    Zeitgeist may be a dreadful work but its not so easy to dismiss the parallels between Jesus and other ancient myths.

Do you have any sources? Actual sources?

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone
    Zeitgeist may be a dreadful work but its not so easy to dismiss the parallels between Jesus and other ancient myths.

Do you have any sources? Actual sources?

• tec
    tec

I'm not far too certain. (and I know you're not defending the movie) I just haven't seen any evidence that the gospel was influenced by older god-man myths.

Other than miracles in general, I suppose. But many things not understood were called miracles (and still are)... until such a time as we see that they were possible, after all.

Peace,

tammy

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Very well said, Tec.

• cofty
    cofty

No I am no expert on this. I have some confidence in Bart Ehrman as a respected scholar and I have heard him refer to the Jesus-Dionysus parallels.

I just wonder why you are so determined to dismiss all of it even if much of it is exaggeration.

Why should it be odd if gospel writers did borrow from other myths?

Writing in the 1st Century Christian apologist Justin Martyr wrote...

"And when we say also that… [Jesus] was produced without sexual union, and that He… was crucified and died, and rose again, and ascended into heaven, we propound nothing different from what you believe regarding those whom you esteem sons of Jupiter.”

“…And if we even affirm that He was born of a virgin, accept this in common with what you accept of Perseus. And in that we say that He made whole the lame, the paralytic, and those born blind, we seem to say what is very similar to the deeds said to have been done by Æsculapius.”

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone
    I just wonder why you are so determined to dismiss all of it even if much of it is exaggeration.

I'm not. If there is actual evidence, I am willing to consider it.

Why should it be odd if gospel writers did borrow from other myths?

Because those writers were willing to die in horrid ways for their writings and beliefs. If the writers, as Bart Ehrman claims, were behind the removal of Jesus body and they had merely rearranged older myths to give "proof" of a fictional human, then why would they be willing to be tortured and killed for a completely fabricated lie?

• sabastious
    sabastious
    I'm not. If there is actual evidence, I am willing to consider it.

The proof is in the puding. Numerology is found all throughout the Bible. What Christian demoninations support connecting the Bible to Numerology? I really don't know, but there can't be many.

-Sab

• cofty
    cofty

those writers were willing to die in horrid ways for their writings and beliefs - Christ

No they weren't. There are no scholars who believe the gospels were written by eye-witnesses.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit