Corned Beef

by mrsjones5 98 Replies latest jw friends

• barry
    barry

We are haveing corned beef tonight for tea and we allways have white sauce with it. How much do you pay per kilo for corned beef in other parts of the world?

In Australia we pay about $6.00 a kilo or about $2.50 per pound.

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

White Sauce ? Sounds intriguing...what kind of sauce is it ?

• barry
    barry

What you don't have white sauce. It comes in a packet like everything else these days. on th eback it says" A blend of Mccormick's finest herbs with a creamy white sauce, Parsley White Sauce is perfect with chicken and fish, or drizzled over your favourite steamed vegetables

Barry

• talesin
    talesin

Rabbit - that would probably be bechamel sauce -- cook equal parts of butter and flour, add milk to thicken. Voila! Add spices, cheese, etc. as desired.

tal

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

We have corned beef in tins over here in the uk, salty and compressed.........the corned beef you guys are talking about is making my mouth water....sounds delish!

Its only 10.30am here and Im salivating over beef and cabbage........no bad thing?

Im a reasonable cook, and have a 100% no fail recipie for yorkshire puddings (popovers?) if anyone wants it lol x Happy Tuesday peeps x

• talesin
    talesin

Yes, please! I've never made them, and would love to wow my guests at a future occasion. Over here in the 'colonies' :D ,, it is not common for folks to have the knack of making good Yorkshire puddings!

tx

tal

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

Ok Tal just for you x If they fail you, I will give you your money back lol

Tips....

Use a muffin tray because they are deep

Make up the batter at least an hour before you need it.....and keep it at room temp

Ingredients

225g (8oz) plain flour

Half teaspoon salt

3 eggs (beaten)

1 egg white (for extra lift)

300-450ml while milk (The less milk, the denser the puddings)

Cooking oil (I have had good results with sunflower and rapeseed oils)

Method

Pre-heat your oven to 220c/425f/Gas mark 7

Sift the flour with the salt

Add the beaten eggs, then the egg white. Whisk in your milk ( I use a hand held electric mixer).

Add about 2 tablespoons of oil to each muffin hollow, and put in the oven for about 10-15 minutes until it is almost smoking hot

I pour the batter into a jug, which makes for easier pouring and reduces the chance of spills/burns......divide equally.

DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR UNTIL AT LEAST 20 mins HAVE PASSED!!!! (My granny was right!)

Cook for 25 mins, or up to 40 mins as I do because I like mine very brown and crispy.

HAPPY COOKING! x

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Oh, yeah...that's the problem, there's all kinds of sauces that are white. I just could not imagine something good on corned beef. Thanks barry & tal. I still have a little corned beef brisket left over I was going to use to make hash with.

Now, I'll try both.

• talesin
    talesin

Thanks! I will try it out sooonnn,,,,, :))

tal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit